Hacking Safe to update?

Kayelle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole Wii Hacking scene, in fact all I've really done is have a WiiKeyv2 installed in my Wii. Therefore I don't really know what you should or shouldn't do in regards to updates and so wanted to come here and check.

I'm wanting to play some of the newer titles such as Animal Crossing, yet I've heard (for AC in particular) that the game requires/prompts the Wii to update. I don't run any Homebrew and I'm not really planning to (because I don't really get it!) and was wondering will it be safe to update to the latest firmware in order to play such games, or will this affect the chip in some way?

Oh, have a PAL Wii and planning on only playing PAL backups.

Thanks for any advice!

D

Deleted User

>__>

Even a noob that wouldn't dare to touch the Wii's internal hardware could install Homebrew Channel.

So yes, the talk that is mainly held here regards homebrew and homebrew only. I suggest you installing Homebrew Channel, it's really easy, and a guide is posted on one of the stickies here.

Then, just get WAD Manager (GOOGLE!!!) and get IOS38 (ANOTHER GOOGLE).

And install.

It's simple really

SimpleSimon08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't update past 3.2 as you may have issues. Also agree with afif95 that Homebrew Channel is really easy to set up and worth it for things like Gecko Loader which helps bypass any copy protection not handled by your chip. Also suggest that you get Homebrew browser as this makes installing even easier and shows most popular apps.

D

Deleted User

Aha, SimpleSimon88 is right. I remembered what I did a while back, doing EoC's guide. On the time scale where my Wii firmware is 3.4, some games gives DREs. No, I don't burn them, I bought them of my trusty retailer (Yes, I'm a pirate).

In total, upgrading to 3.4 or 3.3 isn't a good choice. Just install Homebrew Channel, the zest of the Wii Hacking community use it.

Kayelle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys, I may look into it, but seriously all I really want to do is play backup games. I get that all games may not be playable.

How exactly can Homebrew get around the game's need to update the Wii? Maybe I need to do a bit more research into it when I have time... !
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

Gamma, Softchip, and Gecko Os blocks update, or rather, skips them.

With Starfall, you can even block updates from disc (So you won't have to run Gecko OS, but instead, launch the game from Disc Channel ;p)

And, I recommend you get yourself Gecko OS, the best backup loader for us modchip-users.

And for some games (Like Animal Crossing), they need a certain IOS.

Animal Crossing uses IOS38, get that IOS and install it using WAD Manager.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER