Hacking S0FTMII 2.1.1 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

leemufc

Trophies
XP
Country
i think this thread just stems from all the frustration regarding changelogs and general communication
i think the softmii team is good at what it provides but really doesnt explain alot of its actions.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
ok now regardless on who and what , the download from the SoftMii WebSite DOES NOT REQUIRE E-MAIL ADDRESS , just to clear this out of the way
wink.gif
, and to who complains about someone else getting paid per download just tell me please what ARE YOU PAYING AT THIS POINT ??? it's NOTHING , so what are you complaining for ??? , Digitydogs and the all SoftMii Crew you guys done a great job and keep it up , and trust your work and don't care when some one try to put you down , look at the others who appreciates your hard work , and by the way SoftMii is going to be a part of my Installer V4 coming soon , peace to all
wink.gif

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
Playgame38 said:
Miles said:
Hey Softmii staff.
Why not have the option of downloading Softmii via bit torrent?
I'm sure most of us here have it, so it's not like it'd be that big of a deal, and it'd cut down on the bandwidth as well.

Agreed, the more peers the faster it will be!

I agree also, this would be an ideal solution. There are the little things like this that you could consider that may help to cut costs.

Most people in this thread are just trying to be constructive and offer help. Well, at least a few anyway.

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
404 Not Found on SoftMii download page. anybody know where i can get the hacks.ini files from 2.1.1?

Skarface05

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks a lot for your reply Big Moe - We will get a copy put together for you in advance and send you a lil bit of info. We just wish everyone saw it as black and white as you do.

Now, with regards to offering SoftMii as a torrent. This is never going to happen as we do not support the use of torrents/piracy etc.

We are aware that SoftMii offers a backup loading solution, but this is for legal backups only.

Thanks for the suggestions tho, if you have any others please feel free to comment.

We love watching people moan about what we are doing - Hell, it makes us wana bring you so many new features, it's unreal.

Have you seen anyone else show any modifications like the pix i posted earlier?

And we would like to point this out again - Before we brought SoftMii Tweaks to the scene, there was NO safe way to do any of the modifications that so many people are now doing. Before anyone says crediar made that, yes, he did for US. It was made to order. He was not releasing an app for the public - we could have kept this tool to ourselves and then where would everyone be?

We also provided a tutorial on how to edit these files so others could partake in the fun.

The download links are working on the softmii site - please go to http://softmii.org/downloads/

Look out for Friday's release.

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skarface05 said:
Now, with regards to offering SoftMii as a torrent. This is never going to happen as we do not support the use of torrents/piracy etc.

many large and legit companies use torrents to share there files, I.E. numerous Linux distro's, game company's (WoW updater!! Blizzard)..... by using torrents does in no way infer piracy... and lets face it, you can not honestly say that backup loaders are only for "legit" backups...thats pure BULL...

on another note however i side with the softmii team. people are way out of hand by flamming and raging over softmii's attempt at generating a tiny amount of revenue in order to host and run the site. you guys are providing 100% free support and guidance and the least peeps can do is thank you, or donate a small amount...

anyways these are my two cents... i didnt want to get involved untill you posted teh torrent comment... hosting torrents only helps you in terms of saving on bandwidth costs...in terms of not supporting piracy, you (softmii, gbatemp etc etc) are far from being the white angel out there so please dont try and pull that card...

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:

Umm, bit torrent was designed to relieve stress on servers for high bandwidth files.

It's not just Linux either, Metal Gear Solid 4 uses bit torrent to update Metal Gear Online, Apple uses it to send out their OS Alphas and Betas to developers, and even Microsoft was considering to use bit torrent for future beta OS releases after the whole Vista beta overload they had.

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why are there two Wad Managers? when i am done with the whole install process which one do i keep? i don't want two in my HBC.

also, the part of the guide where i am supposed to find 00000042.app is sort of confusing. why does it say press up 3 times instead of just saying the name of the folder i am supposed to select? when i go into 0000002 there are only two options. content and data. why do i have to press up 3 times?

also, Preloader can't find my hack.ini file.

what is going on here?

fgsfdsyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, we should have kept the name as Riskiimod.
Using the name "SoftMii" makes people think this is going to be easy and nothing adverse will happen.
As seen now, most people can't follow basic instructions and comprehend what to do.
To save ourselves the struggle of helping those who can't help their self, change it back.

The hacks.ini in this package lack in comparison to the older ones, the ones we had to fix ourselves when SoftMii was first released.

Skarface05

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pripism - Read the read me and rename the relevant pal or ntsc hacks file to hacks.ini on the root of your sd card.

I take it back about torrents being directly releated to piracy but if you search for torrents or ask the average person, they would say thats used for pirating purposes.

Thanks ValGreen for understanding why we tried to help cover some of the costs as people do not seem to understand that as of yet the donations have not convered the costs outlayed.

fgsfdsyo - The hacks file that is in the lastest SoftMii release is as complete as it is going to get for a little while. We have provided the only options necessary for SoftMii - Using the region free options screws up compatibility. We have some new hacks that will be coming out soon that will make you love your Wii all over again
smile.gif

And with regards to the name no long being RiskiiMod - It's been installed on tens of thousands of wii's with no problems - therefore not really riskii - We are going to bring you an easier install method in the future to help the people struggling.

As nobody liked our idea of using the sharecash download link, if you do wish to donate to help SoftMii, please do so here http://mibbit.net/url/yUmU8a

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:
Priapism - Read the read me and rename the relevant pal or ntsc hacks file to hacks.ini on the root of your sd card.

i have it like that and it still isn't recognized. the hacks.ini from SoftMii 1.0 worked fine.

my computer is doing something weird with the renaming though.

i put the hacks.iniNTSC file from SoftMii 2.1.1 on the root of my SD card. here is where something strange happened. i renamed the file by clicking rename and just deleting the NTSC part at the end but my PC renamed it "hacks" without the ".ini" so i renamed it again and called the whole things "hacks.ini" but the file type is now different.

do you think that is where the problem is?

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Skarface05 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply Big Moe - We will get a copy put together for you in advance and send you a lil bit of info. We just wish everyone saw it as black and white as you do.

We are aware that SoftMii offers a backup loading solution, but this is for legal backups only.

Thanks for the suggestions tho, if you have any others please feel free to comment.

We love watching people moan about what we are doing - Hell, it makes us wana bring you so many new features, it's unreal.

Have you seen anyone else show any modifications like the pix i posted earlier?

And we would like to point this out again - Before we brought SoftMii Tweaks to the scene, there was NO safe way to do any of the modifications that so many people are now doing. Before anyone says crediar made that, yes, he did for US. It was made to order. He was not releasing an app for the public - we could have kept this tool to ourselves and then where would everyone be?

We also provided a tutorial on how to edit these files so others could partake in the fun.

The download links are working on the softmii site - please go to http://softmii.org/downloads/

Look out for Friday's release.
you are very welcome buddy , and looking forward to get that copy when possible , thanks in advance
grog.gif

staller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what no one has been able to answer for me--every softmii pack i've downloaded the readme says that it fixed the error 002 you get with games like NFS undercover but I still get the error, in all the versions I've download--and I know I've installed it exactly as the read me state--what could I have done wrong?

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priapism said:
Skarface05 said:
Priapism - Read the read me and rename the relevant pal or ntsc hacks file to hacks.ini on the root of your sd card.

i have it like that and it still isn't recognized. the hacks.ini from SoftMii 1.0 worked fine.

my computer is doing something weird with the renaming though.

i put the hacks.iniNTSC file from SoftMii 2.1.1 on the root of my SD card. here is where something strange happened. i renamed the file by clicking rename and just deleting the NTSC part at the end but my PC renamed it "hacks" without the ".ini" so i renamed it again and called the whole things "hacks.ini" but the file type is now different.

do you think that is where the problem is?
yes, your computer is hiding the extensions... so in reality it was being named "hacks.ini.ini"

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Skarface05 said:

Hold on there Bud, before you get all "Marcan" on us, doesn't your pack include a shit-load of illegal, copyright-infringing, IOS wad files? I can't think of a more suitable way to share these things than bittorrent
rofl2.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:

oh... c'mon
rolleyes.gif

what about those IOS and wads included in the pack, do you think it's legal to distribute them on a website but not via torrrent ?

QUOTE said:

people are moaning when they think people are trying to make easy money on their back
people are moaning when they see people taking glory (and money) tahnks to other people's work

giving proper credit is one thing, taking profit is another

And we would like to point this out again - Before we brought SoftMii Tweaks to the scene, there was NO safe way to do any of the modifications that so many people are now doing. Before anyone says crediar made that, yes, he did for US. It was made to order. He was not releasing an app for the public - we could have kept this tool to ourselves and then where would everyone be? We also provided a tutorial on how to edit these files so others could partake in the fun.

lol, I think you have a very big image of yourself then
all that SoftMii brings is a brain who take the time to put all the available tools together and write a basic guide on how to use them
to me , it's nothing more than a sticky thread here on GBATEMP for noobs, not to say that using pdf and having a fancy looking website does not make a product more professional ;-)

and now you say crediar released Preloader to help you soft-modding and playing backups ... unbelieveable
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but the ONLY work you did was to provide tools to easily change some of the layout of the system menu/health screen
And I think you should stick to this for SoftMii... System Men mods

But we all know, this is not going to happen, advertising a soft pack to play backups bring a lot more popularity and traffic

jacklaidlaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

oh... c'mon
rolleyes.gif

what about those IOS and wads included in the pack, do you think it's legal to distribute them on a website but not via torrrent ?

QUOTE said:

people are moaning when they think people are trying to make easy money on their back
people are moaning when they see people taking glory (and money) tahnks to other people's work

giving proper credit is one thing, taking profit is another

And we would like to point this out again - Before we brought SoftMii Tweaks to the scene, there was NO safe way to do any of the modifications that so many people are now doing. Before anyone says crediar made that, yes, he did for US. It was made to order. He was not releasing an app for the public - we could have kept this tool to ourselves and then where would everyone be? We also provided a tutorial on how to edit these files so others could partake in the fun.

lol, I think you have a very big image of yourself then
all that SoftMii brings is a brain who take the time to put all the available tools together and write a basic guide on how to use them
to me , it's nothing more than a sticky thread here on GBATEMP for noobs, not to say that using pdf and having a fancy looking website does not make a product more professional ;-)

and now you say crediar released Preloader to help you soft-modding and playing backups ... unbelieveable
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but the ONLY work you did was to provide tools to easily change some of the layout of the system menu/health screen
And I think you should stick to this for SoftMii... System Men mods

But we all know, this is not going to happen, advertising a soft pack to play backups bring a lot more popularity and traffic

couldnt have said it better myself but i think they mean their tweak tool and not preloader but you can safely install csm's without their tool using preloader as a backup if shit goes wrong. Still nothing they have in softmii is made by softmii apart from some csm's and a guide the tweak installer was made for them not by them

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Plus, nothing related to backup playing will never change in "softmii", unless someone released improved CIOS, which will certainly not come from "SoftMii Team"
wink.gif

the only bugfixes and later improvment will be related to those Custom Menu tools

By advertising new versions with no changelog or a vague and uninformative "bugs fixed" mention, we all know most people would think the "SoftMii Team" has improved backup playing feature, which is however not the case

That's why I think the "play backup on your wii it's so easy and not risky" stuff should be taken apart and not advertised as a "product" itself, just as a "method"... who can say he has rights on a "method" ? Why should people paypal you for this and not Crediar,Wiigator, Waninkoko or whoever wrote the stuff you are using ?
And we all know that most people are going to paypal you because they have no idea (and don't really care) about what is in the package and who actually made this possible, they are just happy to play free games thanks to the "softmii team"... do you think it's fair ? I don't

This is why people are moaning for... it there wasn't this strange smell of "hey, let's make some crazy money", I'm sure everybody will be fine

NeoDraven

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
algols-place.chatango.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to speak on this issue about bandwidth. Someone mentioned that 4chan has usage in the tens or twenties of TB.

Let me educate you children on something. I am a moderator and editor on a ROM site that hosts every single DS ROM currently out. They have about $600 in expenses per month, to host over 50GB of ROMs. They have users in the count of hundreds of thousands per month. The smallest file available on their servers, which are directly hosted, is about 4MB, but the largest is well over 200MB.

You cannot tell me for a single second that you cannot afford to host a 45MB RAR file on your site. Even if "tens of thousands" of people downloaded it from you, you STILL would not incur hosting fees over $500, if that. I do not believe that a single RAR file gets so much activity that it would be more expensive to host than a full-on ROM site.

Maybe you just think all of your users and downloaders are stupid. Perhaps you think no one will think this through or notice it.

I have installed SoftMii on over a dozen Wiis; I am the resident guru of console hacking among my peers and friends. It's a great effort, and a wonderful product. The only problems with it are the some of the people behind it, either overinflating their involvement and work on the project, or being deceitful to the community about server and hosting costs.

Yeah; this is all about video games and piracy, but still, the world is pretty distrustful these days, and if the Wii hacking scene is also subject to treachery and lies, then it's a sad, sad world, indeed.

Stop thinking people are more stupid than you; most aren't. You might trick or fool a few trusting kids here and there, but any adult who has read what you've said could smell your bullshit from a mile away.

I know this is the internet, but, goddammit... isn't ANYONE honest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I havent watched Brotherhood yet
    It was watchable, not sure what my favorite Anime is hmmm
    Castlevania or Baki probably
    Robotech was good
    DBZ I liked up until Cell after that it got too weird
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My youtube comment got 2k likes achievement unlocked
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also watch my hero academia and rewatching dragón ball starting from the og series
    Oh also loved Vanhellsing
    And Vanhellsing abridged lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking