S-Video Cable for PAL wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by avant1277, Jun 8, 2007.

Jun 8, 2007

S-Video Cable for PAL wii? by avant1277 at 12:16 PM (3,049 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. avant1277
    OP

Member avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've seen s-video cables for NTSC wiis, but none advertised as working on PAL wiis. Anyone know if there is one that works for PAL wiis? I'm sure I read somewhere that s-video has better quality than RCA for standard definition TVs. I won't be getting an HD tv anytime soon, so would be nice to find out more.

2. 123kid

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    The PAL equivalent is the SCART cable, it offers the same quality as the S-video one does.

3. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Actually RGB Scart signal is better than S-video. I use the Wii RGB cable (RVL-013) on my standard lcd screen. When running in 60hz (480i) you'll get a much smoother image with less screen flicker than you would from using an S-video cable.

Obviously component cables are the way to go, but if you dont have HD tv then RGB scart is the next best option available.

4. ConraDargo

Member ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Sweden
  5. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    As Triforce said; RGB (Scart) is the best interlaced signal you can get. S-video is only used in America because RGB is not widespread.

6. avant1277
    OP

Member avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    thanks for the info guys! cheers!

7. pirate_arrh

Newcomer pirate_arrh Advanced Member

New Zealand
    I tried an svideo on Pal Wii. Doesnt work.

8. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Hardly an informed suggestion [​IMG]. SCART is just a connector for multiple signal types (not sure if has been typed before, didn't read the whole topic). The PAL system is only able to put out RGB, Composite and component. I have a link in there somewhere with more details.
    http://wii.scorpei.com/XCM_V-box_USA.html

9. 123kid

Newcomer 123kid Member

Sweden
    What's your point? I didn't mention anything about what it ouputs. Since the S-video cable is not available for PAL consoles the official alternative is the SCART cable (unless you want to go component).

10. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    You can't say SCART is an alternative for S-video [​IMG]. SCART = Svideo, and composite and RGB and audio and etc., it's just a connector. The official supplied cable of the PAL Wii system is the composite cable (which comes with a RCA plug --> SCART converter). With the proper cables you can also use RGB or component (which increase video performance over composite).

11. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    however, the only "pure" SCART cable they offer is the one that transmits RGB, so the original poster of this suggstion is right.