S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is Dead

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise has walked into an unforeseen anomaly (in this case, a squabble over copyrights) and the results aren't pretty: the developers have stopped all work on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

The sequel to GSC Game World's post-nuclear first-person shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is no more. The team behind the troubled S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 says that development on the project has frozen and that the studio has been shuttered.

Luckily, though, all is not lost.

After failing to reach an agreement with the rights holders of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. property, the game's creators say they moved onto a new project. According to developer Vostok Games, Survarium is a free-to-play "MMOFPS game set in the near future."

"The game focuses on a mass-scale ecological catastrophe on Earth, the reasons behind vaguely known," says Vostok Games. "Impassable woods advance onto cities from every side, maddened animals and birds attack industrial complexes, military structures, warehouses and power plants. Towns are cut off from each other, there are no water supplies, no electricity, gas, communication is lost. Countries collapse, anarchy spreads throughout the world. Now force dictates who to survive."
Source: Gametrailers

I can't speak much for the quality of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game(s, if you count the expansions), but everything I've seen and heard about it seems pretty nice. I was following the sequel with some interest, so this is definitely a disappointment. Still, the new game is certainly a new direction for the developer, so hopefully it'll work out.

Survarium is set to release on PC sometime towards the end of 2013. While we wait, how about some music to brighten the mood?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard about this earlier. I'm really interested to see what new types of mutants the group can come up with... and I hope that their new goal doesn't mean they're going to make a hugely different kind of game... in their developer video, they were saying that wanted to extend the zone beyond just a small area, referencing last year's (year before's?) oil spill and nuclear disasters in Japan. That would really stretch out the game into different directions that I don't think could be sustained without radically altering how the stalker-like gameplay would be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    New hamster PC, with anal operation and BT connectivity!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, How do I make enemies respawn on gdevelop after
    the player dies?
    Carrying a PC or phone is so old school!
    Squeeze your cheeks twice to answer calls!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you can use a "spawner" function on any object.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or when your player dies, you can say in code, if enemy exists, do nothing, but if enemy does not exist, then create enemy at certain spot. (This would be a pain tho for lots of emeies)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Easiest, simple way would be just restart scene, but player would restart from beginning.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, thx in advance
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, thx in advance +1