Ryujinx emulator taken down after devs reach agreement with Nintendo

images.png

In what could possibly be the worst way to start October for emulation enthusiasts, as of just a few minutes ago the Ryujinx repository appears to be down, with the usual "404" message being given when trying to enter any of their related GitHub pages. Not even the main Ryujinx developer account seems to be active.

Currently there hasn't been any official reports as to why this occurred. None of the official social media accounts for the emulator have given any response, nor has any of the developers talked about why the repository is down, but we'll be sure to keep you updated whenever any new developments towards this situation are known.

UPDATE #1: Given the nature of the page being down with a 404 message, it's possible that this could be related to the removal of the Ryujinx account, and not a DMCA. If the repository suffered from a DMCA claim, then the DMCA notice would appear when entering the repository. However, that is not the case, and the DMCA listings from GitHub doesn't have any recent entries for Ryujinx.

UPDATE #2: The Ryujinx Discord server has paused invites for the moment, and additionally, one of the Discord mods posted the following message:
"To clarify, it's not a DMCA, it's not an issue with GitHub. Please wait for further information and refrain from spreading misinfo thanks."

UPDATE #3: According to an official statement on Ryujinx's Discord server, developer gdkchan was contacted by Nintendo and they were offered an agreement to stop working on the emulator project, and while the agreement wasn't confirmed yet, the organization has been entirely removed.

1727808272357.png

This marks now the 2nd and only main remaining Switch emulator that Nintendo has taken down as of today, and without any proper and clear protection when it comes to emulation and preservation down the road, it's likely that Nintendo will continue on its efforts to bring down emulation as a whole.

:arrow: Ryujinx GitHub Repository

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

DragonMals

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Trophies
Country
United States
Maybe this is just an issue. I am all for not pirating Switch games (although there's SOME exceptions...), but Riujynx was one that ive used a lot for it being better than Yuzu in all capacities. If this one gets taken down, then i riot.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe this is just an issue. I am all for not pirating Switch games (although there's SOME exceptions...), but Riujynx was one that ive used a lot for it being better than Yuzu in all capacities. If this one gets taken down, then i riot.

Worst thing is that this was the very last mainstream Switch emulator out there.
Yuzu and Ryujinx where the big two, and now without Ryu things seem dire for Switch emulation.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By the way, looks like their main website still works and online:
Yeah but until we know the exact reasons why the repository was taken down, those pages might or might not live for much longer.
At this point I'm still wondering why main developers still use GitHub and Gitlab instead of using GitFlic or Gitee for main development where Nintendo doesn't have any claws in.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bright side is since Ryu would get updates almost daily it should be able to play anything new that comes out. I just hope this is a temporary downtime.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Doesn't seem to be a DMCA rather than Ryujinx deleted their account.
Since the DMCA database say nothing as of yet, and it should be a DMCA notification if you visited the github.
Yeah that seems to be the case.
They could be migrating to another Git service altogether.
I'm reading some people claiming that the mods on their Discord are saying it's a GitHub thing and not a DMCA, since if it was a DMCA we would get the notice right when entering the site.

I'll update the OP with that

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah that seems to be the case.
They could be migrating to another Git service altogether.
I'm reading some people claiming that the mods on their Discord are saying it's a GitHub thing and not a DMCA, since if it was a DMCA we would get the notice right when entering the site.

I'll update the OP with that
Nothing in the Lumen database either (I found some new romsites from it... man its a piracy site that Lumen if you want to xD)

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Amiga Owner
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't seem to be a DMCA rather than Ryujinx deleted their account.
Since the DMCA database say nothing as of yet, and it should be a DMCA notification if you visited the github.
They might be migrating to another git platform to avoid false DMCA notices from the big N.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They might be migrating to another git platform to avoid false DMCA notices from the big N.
Most likely, or a better git site. I know some don't like some limitations Github have compared to Gitlabs etc. But I'm not good enough to know the difference.

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Amiga Owner
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
don't know if its just me but it looks like they have removed the download to the emulator from the site too :/
Check out the other links. The Patreon page is still up, I doubt they would've shut down completely. They haven't made any announcements of this, blog hasn't been updated since February.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • chrisrlink @ chrisrlink:
    ryujinx
  • Domestica @ Domestica:
    is dead.
    I really hope some hacker group reallly skull fucks nintendo
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @chrisrlink Ninty typically investigated into their personal life and made some shady deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch it's self is dead lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because updates stopped doesn't mean you still can't use it
    so blackmail?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    knowing ninty, they probably just want to juice up their next console abit and call it a day. so before that happens...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wouldnt surprise me if the devs got hired for switch emulation for switch 2 and the publics overreacting
    if i was the dude i'd choose to alert the feds nintendo is extorting
  • Domestica @ Domestica:
    ^^could be it!
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    switch 2 is probably still gonna be old tech/hardware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They probably got like 5 more official switch launches before switch 2 then it'll be a fully modded console
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    @ZeroT21 Nintendo purposefully puts on limitations to make things more challenging
    this world is going to hell
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Over emulation? We need a chill pill
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i'd love to get a migswitch lol
    i'll pass on switch 2 I'm waiting on world war 3 lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but i still hate the crappy resolution i have to game on
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By the time sd 8gen5 hits we'll probably be playing switch games on phones perfectly
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    in a sense we just need a translation layer to run this switch arm stuff on arm devices... probably
    well I better store atmos and sig patches for now pretty sure atmos is next
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    dumb roblox keeps on thinking my internet sucks just because I'm in another room
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    I just joined and was told I lost internet connection!?
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    oh well, time for me to go game as well, time to save super earth, bbl
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: oh well, time for me to go game as well, time to save super earth, bbl