Homebrew Run .iso .gmc on wii usb loader gx

L0LIpOp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello everyone I don't think this Forum is dead and I'm searching for an answer. I modded my console long time ago and I have the usb loader gx installed on it. All I want is to put some games on a USB or external HDD and play them on the console, the problem is that the Wii console do not recognize them through the usb loader gx. Can anyone help me ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you'll haveto provide more information.
"it doesn't work" is not helpful.

What do you have? what did you do? which softmod ?
which program ? which version ? which device ? which format ?
which games ?
What did you try ? what did you see ?

"not working" or "doesn't recognize" is not something you see.
Do you have an error message ? what tells you that it doesn't work ? it doesn't launch ? or doesn't list ? or launch but crash or freeze ?

please, more information.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone I don't think this Forum is dead and I'm searching for an answer. I modded my console long time ago and I have the usb loader gx installed on it. All I want is to put some games on a USB or external HDD and play them on the console, the problem is that the Wii console do not recognize them through the usb loader gx. Can anyone help me ?
Also it seems you are referring to GameCube games. For that you'll need Nintendont on your SD card or USB drive/external hard drive. You can still browse your games through USB Loader GX, you just need Nintendont to run them.

If you don't want to edit USB Loader GX's settings and specify a custom path for GameCube games, place the games on the same device you are loading usb loader gx from (if installed to usb put them on usb. if sd, then sd). for which folder to put them in and what to name them, https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont#quick-installation . I'm assuming gamecube as you put gmc in the title, which could easily be a typo of gcm. If your games are .gcm, you'll want to rename them to .iso. Just a simple rename. No tool needed.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for gamecube games, if you want the full tutorial, you should read the first post of nintendont thread.

if games are not displayed, or not "compatible?", you probably still have either an old softmod, or a wrong setting.
You'll have to work on fixing both.

but don't do things by yourself by picking a random youtube tutorial (it's WORSE !)
just let's continue here and we well help you properly.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: OrGoN3

L0LIpOp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi, and thank you for your reply. I'm using Nintendo wii Ver. 4.3 E modded IOS249, the HDD is WD Western Digital My Passport 0830 WX11E44XX712 formated as NTFS. I tested as FAT32 also. I'm using USB Loader GX Ver. 3.0 126.2. I was testing this USB Loader GX Forwarded version on an microSD card to an SD adaptor and also installed on the HDD or another USB stick formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. The game that I was trying to run on the console is Super Smash Bros. Brawl [RSBP01]. After a couple of hours I've tested and I figured out how it's working. I've instaled the USB Loader GX on the SD card and with WiiBackupManager_Build78 I've made the game .wbfs. And It's working on wii's USB port 0. My question is why I must do this ? Why is not so simple and .iso file is not recognized by this USB Loader GX ? There is a way to read the .iso directly from the HDD ?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, and thank you for your reply. I'm using Nintendo wii Ver. 4.3 E modded IOS249, the HDD is WD Western Digital My Passport 0830 WX11E44XX712 formated as NTFS. I tested as FAT32 also. I'm using USB Loader GX Ver. 3.0 126.2. I was testing this USB Loader GX Forwarded version on an microSD card to an SD adaptor and also installed on the HDD or another USB stick formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. The game that I was trying to run on the console is Super Smash Bros. Brawl [RSBP01]. After a couple of hours I've tested and I figured out how it's working. I've instaled the USB Loader GX on the SD card and with WiiBackupManager_Build78 I've made the game .wbfs. And It's working on wii's USB port 0. My question is why I must do this ? Why is not so simple and .iso file is not recognized by this USB Loader GX ? There is a way to read the .iso directly from the HDD ?
.wbfs is the preferred format, it takes up less space.
Originally you had to format the drive with a special file system, the .wbfs file format is a continuation of that.
I think USB loaders can load ISOs these days (they didn't use to), but I might be wrong on that. It's not something you would want anyway as it makes all games take up the full 4.7 GB when some may in reality be less than 1GB and almost all are less than 4.7.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gamecube works only with FAT32, not NTFS.
it works also with exFAT, but no other homebrew will work, so it's recommended to use FAT32.

For wii, there is a way to read .iso directly, but you need NTFS as all ISO are 4.7GB and FAT32 can't have more than 4GB file.
so your game will be 4.7, even if mario takes only 400MB...
And there is a location and filename requirement, you can't just put your ISO where you want expecting the program to read in your mind.

why lose space on your drive? and why use NTFS if you can't use it for gamecube, while FAT32 works for both.
for gamecube, you need the iso, do not try to convert to .wbfs files.

Also, "this is how it works" because this is how it was developped.
it's not going against you. You have to learn the requirement and follow them. you can't just think "I would prefer putting ISO on LAN, why it's not working like that?" or "I would like gamecube with NTFS ! why it's not compatible ?", well that's because of lot of different causes and how things are designed. you need to learn and comply, doing things hoping it works your way then it will not work well.

I'm still not sure what your problem was when you said "it's not recognized".
it's just because you placed games on random location with random file names? (probably)

Last edited by Cyan,

L0LIpOp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Gamecube works only with FAT32, not NTFS.
it works also with exFAT, but no other homebrew will work, so it's recommended to use FAT32.

For wii, there is a way to read .iso directly, but you need NTFS as all ISO are 4.7GB and FAT32 can't have more than 4GB file.
so your game will be 4.7, even if mario takes only 400MB...
And there is a location and filename requirement, you can't just put your ISO where you want expecting the program to read in your mind.

why lose space on your drive? and why use NTFS if you can't use it for gamecube, while FAT32 works for both.
for gamecube, you need the iso, do not try to convert to .wbfs files.

Also, "this is how it works" because this is how it was developped.
it's not going against you. You have to learn the requirement and follow them. you can't just think "I would prefer putting ISO on LAN, why it's not working like that?" or "I would like gamecube with NTFS ! why it's not compatible ?", well that's because of lot of different causes and how things are designed. you need to learn and comply, doing things hoping it works your way then it will not work well.

I'm still not sure what your problem was when you said "it's not recognized".
it's just because you placed games on random location with random file names? (probably)

So tell me how and where to put the .iso on the NTFS HDD to be directly read by the Loader.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
here is a list of all compatible folder and filename :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/5455832

You can use Wii Backup Manager to put the file on NTFS, or just copy it manually with your file explorer. You can set the option in the program to not convert the ISO to wbfs, and not split the file in multiple 4GB parts if you don't want to split but still use .wbfs format too.
the advantage is that the program will know the "GameID6" and will rename the file and/or folder for you.
if you don't want to use that program, you can find the ID here :
http://www.gametdb.com/Wii

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
here is a list of all compatible folder and filename :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/5455832

You can use Wii Backup Manager to put the file on NTFS, or just copy it manually with your file explorer. You can set the option in the program to not convert the ISO to wbfs, and not split the file in multiple 4GB parts if you don't want to split but still use .wbfs format too.
the advantage is that the program will know the "GameID6" and will rename the file and/or folder for you.
if you don't want to use that program, you can find the ID here :
http://www.gametdb.com/Wii
Why is the ID6 important though? I know it's possible to read it directly from the ISO without even decrypting it (it's in the header of the ISO) and so it should be possible with a .wbfs too.
Why don't USB loaders read it directly from the ISO/WBFS?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the ID6 important though? I know it's possible to read it directly from the ISO without even decrypting it (it's in the header of the ISO) and so it should be possible with a .wbfs too.
Why don't USB loaders read it directly from the ISO/WBFS?

Because getting it from the folder/file name is a lot faster than opening every ISO on the drive. :P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, it was designed like this. all loaders used that format, because of the first released method using it.
to prevent having too many possibilities and user's side errors, it was decided to limit the working layout to a short convention list.
all filename need to be titleID6, subfolder need titleID6 but can contain the game's title for easy management by humans (we allowed 2 different subfolder's format to put the game's title in it, before or after the ID6).

No other USBLoader work with different format. Making one loader accept a different layout would break the compatibility with others, users wouldn't be able to swap the loader any time they want, they would need to rename all their library to the most common layout, so it's best to do it from the start.

filename.ext could be a problem if the filename is only 6 letters, the loader would consider it a GameID and will not find the game's cover and information in Gametdb.com database.

The only format working with other loaders but not yet in USBLoaderGX is this one, for gamecube games only :
/games/filename.ext
it's the default layout for devolution.
compatibility was added at a later date to nintendont, and USBGX has not been updated yet to support this layout. the other layout work with all other loaders : DM,DML,Quad,neek2o,Devolution, nintendont.
I know I could add it, but it would break "hot swap" of loading method, the games would not be in the correct path/format for all loaders.
you see why conventions are useful from the start. but I'm not against adding it later, just miss time to complete the gamecube's code part.

Last edited by Cyan,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ppl are saying 2TB is not enough for them and I have seen a few ppl already complaining about slow screen refreshes.
I guess you will also need to build an array to store all those filenames together with their ID6s which will eat lots of memory. All covers and cheat codes are adhering to the ID6 format

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppl are saying 2TB is not enough for them and I have seen a few ppl already complaining about slow screen refreshes.
I guess you will also need to build an array to store all those filenames together with their ID6s which will eat lots of memory. All covers and cheat codes are adhering to the ID6 format

That's why it needs a static library. There's no need for the data for all the titles to be in memory at once. The most you can see is in the compact grid view and that's probably ~50, so 50 for visible, 50 each for next and previous page should be enough to cache.

Settings are the same way. There's no need to keep all custom GC loader settings per title in memory if they're only used when in the settings menu and when the game boots. :P

L0LIpOp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thank you for your replays man you're very useful. I didn't understand sorry for that. I move the .iso on the HDD and is working ? Or I move it with Wii Backup Manager and It's working ? I must go
through to the program ? And if the program do not recognize the file ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over