*Rumour* Next Xbox Plays Blu-Rays and blocks used games

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Huh. This is one rumor I'm hoping Microsoft isn't stupid enough to indulge. Though, if used games are blocked, whatever hacker(s) are pro enough to get into the system after x days/months/years of its release will likely work on knocking that out asap.
Though what's the point when stores won't even buy/sell used games if it's true.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No used games? Well, no new Xbox for me, then. There aren't enough sales running around for games, like they do on Steam. Games are hideously expensive otherwise, or just not worth the money. Devs' need to stop being so damn greedy, especially when their games make millions anyway(AAA titles).

You don't know how it works do you?

You know how much money devs actually make off of the games sale? About 10 bucks - 15 bucks. The rest goes to advertising, publishers, and all the other people to make the game come out. If a game doesn't go on sale, you can't blame the devs, you can blame the store. It's up to them what the price of a game will be.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blocking used games would be a terrible business strategy if it's actually true. I guess they really do want to promote piracy if they continue to use that line of thinking.

Ultymoo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though what's the point when stores won't even buy/sell used games if it's true.

The internet with places like eBay and craigslist are the point then. Heck, people might even sell the discs dirt cheap during the time between release and hax if they don't believe a hack would happen.

Y'know, prospectively.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
People use the money crumbs they get back from used games to help purchase new games. I don't see how this helps MS or game devs/pubs in the long run.

This will certainly make an interesting battle if true.
It will always help them in terms of short or long. Developers doesnt earn a shit when customers buy used games from retailers that buys in game. It would be a wise choice in terms of money to the developers. As for the customers.. Must be a huge hit i guess. I never buy used games anyways so i dont care.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt this is going to turn out to be true, except probably for online games. I'm somewhat doubting M$ would be retarded enough to destroy a very good margin of their sales by not allowing people to play used games. But for online play I can see them implementing something so you get something of an activation key for online play that can only be used once, and binds to your XBL account.

Reactions: 1 person

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Memino

Trophies
XP
Country
They would never do this considering this is a highly contested market, they would be out of the console race before even getting started so I highly doubt they would be that stupid.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way they could implement this without losing console sales (which in turn would lead to losses in game sales)

The ability to play preowned games is a selling point for consoles... Older titles will be impossible to come by as the console's life cycle trudges along...
Should they sell consoles without a warning that states "I know you guys have been able to play used games on every system in history leading up to this one...but, yeah, um...you can't do that anymore..." they will be opening themselves up for major backlash from disenfranchised consumers...

This rumor is nothing more than trollbait.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh. This is one rumor I'm hoping Microsoft isn't stupid enough to indulge. Though, if used games are blocked, whatever hacker(s) are pro enough to get into the system after x days/months/years of its release will likely work on knocking that out asap.

What's the point in even buying used games when most games people want used are brand new releases and the price difference is 5 dollars. You aren't even saving the taxes on your game when you buy a used title that's only been out a couple of weeks. That plus trade in value is atrocious on most games after a month or two, making used games a moot point. Better off with digital distribution in my opinion.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's one of the most dumb things I've ever heard.

As of right now, and I probably never will, I have absolutely no interest in getting the next Xbox. Obviously it hasn't been announced, but looking at the previous systems... they just aren't for me. I don't play online games unless the rare PC game, and I don't like over priced accessories, and being charged for a service I don't use.

I doubt this is true, but if it is, that is going to hurt them soooo much.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this was true, and I believe it's not, the next xbox would have little to no value in the long run. Can you imagine being a console collector and you buy the next xbox in the future and you can't play almost any game because it's not registered as new, or already connected to the console previously? In fact, now that I think about it, it could make package deals (console+games) sky rocket in price. If this were to turn out to be more than a rumor, my idea might be worth exploring for future gains.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well the Blue-Ray seems like an almost given and I have no doubt that it will play them, but the blocking used games seems like a worse idea than the Kinect 2.
No one would buy a system when they can't even borrow a game from their friend. Also the Kinect 2 is still just as bad an idea as the first one,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Woody's got wood.