[RUMOR] XB1 to be underclocked?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a solution. Liqud Nitrogen pumps, pour some food coloring in that bitch, BOOM. Xbox Cooling Juice. Sell it at 2,000 bucks an ounce. Mircosoft just made the gaming world way better.

I can not wait until I get sued for selling knockoff xbox cooling juice. I might even go one step further, drop some fancy science in my advert and sell liquid helium.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In this thread: experts in Electrical Engineering discussing the technical design decisions of one of the world's most valuable companies.

In this thread: snikerz tells us that using common sense is strictly forbidden. The fact that most of the space around the fan is obstructed (there is a source of cool air, the top grid, but no space to divert the hot air to) surely does not make heat distribution hard - after all, it was designed by a valuable company so it has to be good and it has to make sense. :)
These "anonymous rumours" come from a couple supposed insiders on Neogaf.

Make of that what you will.
...is "agressive flash mob" an option? :D

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cooling is expensive, have you seen the prices for aluminum and copper these days?

If this is true maybe MS knows the market is not going to get any cheaper for those two materials and wanted the cheapest cooling solution possible?

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a really lazy thing to do if it's due to poor cooling. What could happen is that they decide to up the clockspeed later in the system's life resulting in potentially reducing the XBone's life expectancy.
If it's true then Microsoft need to hire new people to design their stuff.
What if they have it set to go up in speed once it is out of the warranty period?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if they have it set to go up in speed once it is out of the warranty period?

What's the point of that then? It's not like a PC where you can adjust things like Shadows or HDR and model quality. Are they just going to make games that work on consoles out of warranty?

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
TBH I expect pretty high failure rates from both PS4 and XBO, after my 60GB PS3 got the YLOD I swore to never buy another console within it's first year, or even until a redesign, which is why I haven't bought a Vita or Wii U yet. PS3 didn't really start dying until their 2nd or 3rd year, so we still don't know how well built these are.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I expect pretty high failure rates from both PS4 and XBO, after my 60GB PS3 got the YLOD I swore to never buy another console within it's first year, or even until a redesign, which is why I haven't bought a Vita or Wii U yet. PS3 didn't really start dying until their 2nd or 3rd year, so we still don't know how well built these are.

Me too, the switch to x86 is going to break a lot of shit, heating issues are going to be a big one, seeing how x86 processors pump out a shitton more heat then ARM (I'm not sure about Power PC though), unless they got a few guys from those computer manufacturing areas to help.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile

yeah, that's pretty sad, older consoles like the SNES didn't need cooling, the PS2(or was the Dreamcast) was the 1st to use fans to cooldown but didn't have temp problems, not that i remember, for the other hand the Gamecube has the better cooling system ever, a heatsink covering all the motherboard and a single fan blowing cool air sideways traversing all the system.
the PS3 phat had a very good cooling system, but had a fatal flaw, the big ass fan that has start spinning to late, can be prevented if you up a little the voltage of the fan to make it blow more air before the system ask for it, or if you simply leave the sensor disabled making the fan spin at full speed, but is very noisy, you can attach a variable resistor to regulate the fan speed to address that though.
the Xbox 360 phat had a poor cooling system, the fan extract hot air but nothing was placed to make cool air enter, the best solution AFAIK(I only seen a x360 in the house of a friend, and was of a friend of him) is drill some holes in the case above the heatsink and put a fan facing in, that way you create a flow of cool air and the stock fans thake the hot air out.
the Wii has a similar cooling system to the Gamecube, but only cooling a heatsink above the CPU and GPU, no problem there.

that being said I think the PS4 at least will have a good cooling system, seeing how Sony addressed the problems in later models of the PS3.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah, that's pretty sad, older consoles like the SNES didn't need cooling

Pretty much cause the NES runs at 2 Mhz, Snes also at 5Mhz ish?
N64 ran at I think 60Mhz but it has a simple heatsink over it.

Same goes for the early computers.
Low clockrate hardly causes heat so it won't need to be cooled that much ;]

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Pretty much cause the NES runs at 2 Mhz, Snes also at 5Mhz ish?
N64 ran at I think 60Mhz but it has a simple heatsink over it.

Same goes for the early computers.
Low clockrate hardly causes heat so it won't need to be cooled that much ;]

I remember my 486 having a fan and ran at 33mhz(66mhz with turbo:P )
but my point was is a shame that now days you have to be concerned about this cooling problems when back in the day you only worry was if the games where good or shitty or, if you had a third party power brick the temperature of that shit, but not the console itself(remember a friend saying that he had a power brick that lasted all day long without blowing up, of course I did't know what he was talking about I have always been a PC master race, my first home console was the Gamecube and because I purchased it like 6 years ago on my last year of high school only recently started buying more consoles and all that because now I have a job).

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Cooling fan is probably for the Turbo mode ;p

I remember me 450 Mhz P3 Katmai CPU only having a heatsink.
No cooling fans.

yeah I remember seeing one of these, but was a manufactured pc and had a chassis fan taking the air out thanks to the help of a plastic tube and had a heatsink like 2 or 3 times larger than normal slot1 CPUs, the slot1 Pentium 3 at the stores came with a proper integrated fan and a heatsink much more smaller, and for the record, you can achieve passive cooling on modern PCs, but you need efficient heatsinks and at least one fan directing the hot air out. one mistake the xbox 360 has was have a not very efficient heatsink for the fan extracting the hot air, and the fact that CPUs have more room than consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up