FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo just commented on this:
"Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security. However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."

In addition to what Foxi4 said no piracy attributable to a device that has yet to be released.... that is a shocking turn of events there.

Reactions: Foxi4

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something tells me that Wiikey team also found out a way to dump the game isos. Otherwise, they wouldn't have come up with this, assuming the rumors are true.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is an idea: Stop using discs for consoles, Nintendo. Use game carts, even when they are more expensive to produce.
Yeah, that worked well for the N64....oh wait. 64 MB of limited space with only 4-8 KB of texture cache and 120,000 polygons/second. Sounds good!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's interesting that such a statement was not made (to my knowledge) about Fail0verflow's work.
Maybe because fail0verflow hacked the whole thing and ran unauthorized software on the system, embarrasing them to no end. :tpi:

Here is an idea: Stop using discs for consoles, Nintendo. Use game carts, even when they are more expensive to produce.
I forgot that none of Nintendo's cartridge-based systems got hacke--OH WAIT!

Cartridges have their advantages but they also have their downsides, y'see.

Reactions: Maxternal

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is everyone that is worrying about no games because of piracy forgetting the xbox360? It was hacked in this same timeframe and required buying almost nothing so almost anyone could do it nearly for free.
It's harder and more costly now but the system still has drive flashing, and it did the best this generation among the traditional contenders. A modchip that you have to buy and physically attach... nintendo won't even notice the lost sales.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Everybody knows that the WiiU sold more units, in the same timespan, compared to Xbox360 and Ps3 in when they were released.
And that is WITHOUT ANY NOTEWORTHY GAMES.

This is not a pathetic system looking at sales figures, AT ALL.
I really do not know where that is coming from.
Imagine when the 1st party games are being released ( I'll bet around the console releases of Sony and Microsoft..)

Again it sold better compared to the others when they were released, WITHOUT ANY MAJOR GAMES.

Remember, you still NEED TO BUY A WIIU in order to hack it....

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot that none of Nintendo's cartridge-based systems got hacke--OH WAIT!

Cartridges have their advantages but they also have their downsides, y'see.

Indeed. The N64 was powerful for the time, even surpassing the original Playstation in terms of raw CPU and GPU power, in fact, the N64 could push out more polygons/second than PSX, but the cartridge limited it to ~120,000 second. Factor 5 and Rare ran custom microcode that exceed that number though. Nevertheless, having slow RDRAM and 4 KB of cache for textures gave many games a blurrier appearance.

Everybody knows that the WiiU sold more units, in the same timespan, compared to Xbox360 and Ps3 in when they were released.

Imagine when the 1st party games are being released ( I'll bet around the console releases of Sony and Microsoft..)

Again it sold better compared to the others when they were released, WITHOUT ANY MAJOR GAMES.

Exactly. Even when people think Nintendo "lost" they have your money now! Mwahahahahaha! And the games? Same deal, you have to buy the games first in order for them to upload dumps on the internet.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This isn't about Nintendo, it's about getting 3rd party support.
Understandable, but I think all mayor contract have been signed now for the consoles lifespan.
It's a cat and mouse game.
If the games are really good they will sell.
Nintendo needs to put there 1st party games a notch up, well we all know they are going to be TOP quality, and will sell well.
Other manufactures mostly drift on the succes of first party games on nintendo consoles.
The games produced by nintendo are not generic and almost always créme de la créme, determing if a generation of console made n=by ninty will be succesfull enough.

The system allready sold extremely well despite of the lack of games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using cartridges for a modern home console :lol:

Just on read/write NAND memory with basic controllers (proper mask ROM is going to be even better).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-9.html
Basic IO is at 2ms at the high end.

Being generous and going for a 4x BD Read speed it is 144 Mbps or 18 Megabytes a second. The 360's DVD drive is about the same speed (12X DVD is just under 16).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-10.html says it is about on par.... for a random read. A sequential read leaves it standing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-11.html

It also opens the door to easier expansion devices though with everything using USB or SD (see things like SD wifi) that might not be such an issue. Though modern disc coatings are pretty good they probably do not stand up to a cartridge, especially one built for a home console.

Completely off topic but you could also do "saves on cards" if your hypothetical game dev/publisher is one to blather about second hand and need a soft discouragement there. On the nicer side -- on cart updates.

Space wise it is comparable with tens of gigs available. The issue of cost of making a physical game vs pressing a disc remains to be seen (pressing is pennies a disc at worst and I can not pretend various margins would not be ruined by even a $1 memory chip).

D

Dork

People think the console is dead, despite the fact it hasn't even been out for a year. I can't wait for this thing to pull a 3DS.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't you think it's a little bit of an unfair comparison considering the fact that the PS3 retailed for $499-$599 depending on the hard drive at launch wheras the WiiU retails for $299-$349? Obviously it's going to sell more in the same time frame - it's more affordable plus it's a follow-up to the well-selling Wii. Now, the 360 is a far better case for comparison, retailing at $299 for the Core system and $399 for the Standard bundle at launch.
People think the console is dead, despite the fact it hasn't even been out for a year. I can't wait for this thing to pull a 3DS.
...you mean start selling once the price is cut to how much the system is actually worth?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Space wise it is comparable with tens of gigs available. The issue of cost of making a physical game vs pressing a disc remains to be seen (pressing is pennies a disc at worst and I can not pretend various margins would not be ruined by even a $1 memory chip).

That's the underlying issue. When optical media can cost less than a dollar compared to flash memory which will cost significantly more. Lego City Undercover is around 20GB, I'd be curious in how much it would cost to produce cartridge versions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That is cheap, I used to pay $100 for a tine.
    Tine? One gram?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest...