Rumor: NGP to use Proprietary Memory Card System?

Sully99

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[youtube]8xQpWTQng6U[/youtube]

This might be of interest to the few people who are still interested in the NGP / PSP2.

Interview with Shuhei Yoshida reveals possible details. Skip to 3:41, sounds like Sony may be making a NGP-specific memory card system.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Proprietary media....Sony....surely not...

Lemme see just off the top of my head, Mini Discs, UMD's Pro Duo's, M2's....

Can anyone say cash cow?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well remove the "Rumor" from the title. This was as good as confirmed when they announced the idea of a PSP2.
Sony will undoubtedly be using a proprietary memory card and charge more than it's worth for the first year.

Slyakin said:
Oh no! Memory Sticks are dead, and Micro Memory Sticks are a bitch to find.

Please, just use SDs and make us all happier.
It's Sony.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Two motives:

1 - anti-piracy
2 - reduce the cost of the hardware.

It's better than have internal hd with no possibility of upgrade.
What we don't know is if this will come with some internal storage or with a card to store PSN things (and give an incentive to buy downloadable content), if they think a little, they'll put at least one memory card with 4GB on the package.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, please say this doesn't mean having to get another stupid overpriced card like the Pro Duos, I'm sick of their crap with these.

PhotoFast was a good way around that, but man it was annoying, I really hope they end up with something like microSD instead although I know deep inside it won't be the case.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screw it 3DS it is then, I'm done with proprietary sony crap! the psp made you get the ridiculously expensive Pro Duo. I could get like a 16gb SD card for the same price as a 2-4gb Pro Duo. Why can't they just think of the consumer for once?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little off-topic: What is he talking about? I whether have physical media
dry.gif
, did they not look at the psp go? A least he got it right with the size and internet speed.

Anyway that a little dent in my future PSP2 purchase.
frown.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why people are baww'ing over this.

Even if memory sticks weren't exactly common, your PSP has been a memory stick reader since launch. Plug that into your computer to manage your memory stick, problem solved.

If you don't like the media then odds are there's an adapter out there or third parties will start making cheaper versions. That's the case with the memory stick.

If people are really going to cry over this then seriously, toughen up buttercup. It's ridiculous. Odds are the NGP will have a decent internal storage size if you don't want to go out of your way for a memory stick. Plus who gives a fuck what game medium it's on, it's been confirmed that it'll be cartridge based (I'm rather sure) so you can't complain about discs.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think what people dislike about this solution is not the accessibility, since it`s true that you can use the PSP to access the storage card, but that they use a self-made card which will cost way more then something well established and relatively cheap like an SD-card...

Til this very day a Pro DUO is more expensive then any SD-card and I guess if they develop a whole new one they should justify it by saying what the benefit is over an SD-card or a normal Pro DUO card other than gaining money through a purchase of an upgrade. So it could either way. Consumer could even benefit from this though I doubt it.

Still I don`t see it as confirmed, since his statement was somewhat vague...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
I think what people dislike about this solution is not the accessibility, since it`s true that you can use the PSP to access the storage card, but that they use a self-made card which will cost way more then something well established and relatively cheap like an SD-card...

Til this very day a Pro DUO is more expensive then any SD-card and I guess if they develop a whole new one they should justify it by saying what the benefit is over an SD-card or a normal Pro DUO card other than gaining money through a purchase of an upgrade. So it could either way. Consumer could even benefit from this though I doubt it.

Still I don`t see it as confirmed, since his statement was somewhat vague...

I don't see why anyone would complain about Sony, a company that makes things along the lines of digital media, to use a media they made. Boo-hoo.

If you don't like the pricing, then you don't need it. It's expandable storage, not necessary. Odds are the NGP will have a decent internal storage size and could possibly come with this new expandable media if needed.

This just seems like another "hate Sony because they're Sony" thing going on.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I don't see why anyone would complain about Sony, a company that makes things along the lines of digital media, to use a media they made. Boo-hoo.

If you don't like the pricing, then you don't need it. It's expandable storage, not necessary. Odds are the NGP will have a decent internal storage size and could possibly come with this new expandable media if needed.

This just seems like another "hate Sony because they're Sony" thing going on.
What? If you don't like the pricing, then you don't need it.

So if the psp2 was open to other media, cheaper media that he like he needs it then?

They are complaining because if the new media cost more than old media then old media that ~$300 and up. With the price of games, cases, and other stuff ,with even more of a problem to their side when they need to pay more for the same size, but newer media. Before do not need to get case, not all people our rich, but the first thing they want to do is protect their portable which may require other stuff, but now they go to worry about paying for a probably more
expansive media plus the hassle for searching for that one media. Media may be copy, but you do not know how long that well take and you going
want extra content now.

You not even a little concern you may have to pay higher price for a new media for the same memory as a cheaper one?

It not just a "hate Sony because they're Sony" thing going on, I be mad at Nintendo for lower our cheaper choices too.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope this system goes down like the virtual boy. psp was cool for about 10 minutes, and that was when DA was developing his CFW. sony does not handle hand helds well, by adding a proprietary format just makes it that much worse.

i hate mspd. i got the photofast just for that reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries