Rumor: Microsoft To Announce 360 Successor in April

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Feb 23, 2013.

Feb 23, 2013
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    So, unless you've been living under a rock this past week, I'm pretty sure you all know about Sony's PS4 unveiling. The conference seems to have been a success, with the company driving up a lot of buzz around their upcoming console.

Not wanting to be left out, it seems that Microsoft may have a conference of their own on the horizon.

[​IMG] Games Radar

There's no official word yet, obviously, but this may be our chance to see the Durango unchained.

Rumors have been surfacing that the new system would include a myriad of unpopular features - like blocking used games or requiring users to remain online at all times. Hopefully our fears will be put to rest - or confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt.

Personally, Sony's conference got me pretty stoked. I jumped ship last generation and went with the 360, but it seems that they've finally corrected their past mistakes. The next Xbox will really have to step up its game - or prepare for a (micro)soft landing.

TehSkull and Sagat like this.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    While I'm not sure I'd go to Microsoft again next gen, I'm eager to see their conference. There's a lot of rumors (mostly negative) about the "Durango" and I'd like to see them proved/disproved.

Also it's always neat seeing what new ideas and tech companies have in store.

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I doubt they are at the very least keeping those features.

4. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    If those rumours turn out to be true, then PS4 it is for me. Those features sound horrid.

noob killer likes this.
  5. ForteGospel

Member ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    not really hard to do a conference like that... just put some screens of the home menu, which will look something close to win8... some gameplay videos running in a high end pc... releasing the controller, this time with internal batteries... another watch_dogs video, some people talking about this being a hardcore console, then some people talking about how the kinect makes gamers come closer with full video recording and helping others online through an xbox social network...

6. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    I know for a fact that Sony and Microsoft are trying to push us all into the realm of digital media where we technically don't own a thing but rather will be paying for (or leasing if you will) the privilege to use said software and hardware provided by the privileged few. So not only are they trying to stop you from modifying the hardware that you paid for and own, they are also working towards removing physical ownership of data and information.

I would not be surprised in the least if Microsoft put in some of these features, and I would not be surprised if the public rolled over and took it because it just makes everything easier to use...

jalaneme likes this.
  7. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Do you use Steam? If so, you've been doing exactly that for the past 8 years. And you've loved every minute of it.

wrettcaughn likes this.
  8. XDel

Member XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

United States
    Nope.

9. SnAQ

Member SnAQ GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Let´s just hope the NextBox actually has something unique and new, and that it not will become such a dissapointment like the Playstation 4

10. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    So here's the thing...

Even if the NextBox is beefier than the PS4, the PS4 is "appropriate" spec-wise plus:
    • PSPlus = Games Collection = More Games for the Buck
    • If the rumours are to be true, the price is just right
    • Launch line-up was relatively impressive even before E3
    • Take your games anywhere you go? Sign me up.
    If Microsoft doesn't come up with an equivalent, I'm not expecting a huge "Oomph".

11. ForteGospel

Member ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    which you will need to purchase all over again
    since when in gbatemp were rumors fact? I even remember when all the rumors about the wii u were being leaked that moderators starting closing them because of many flame wars
    I didn't see the whole video... but did they stated that the games are the launch line-up or just project they were working on to demonstrate the power of the console?
    you mean playing games through the vita with a 3g connection? from my understanding it was just like playing games with the wiiu gamepad... meaning it won't be "anywhere you go" but "anywhere in the house"...

if it means you can connect to the console over the internet and play everywhere you have wifi/3g then color me impressed, otherwise it's just meh

12. Guild McCommunist

United States
    One of their statements alluded to the possibility that you can play it over any WiFi connection (although the same WiFi connection as your PS4 will be the best).

The PS4 basically just acts as a server so it's entirely possible I'd think.

13. zanfire

Member zanfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since they are built to be pretty close to each other spec wise (if rumors are true, which so far a lot were with ps4) there is one thing alone that will make me completely ignore xbox next gen (which I have had pretty much every major system since they say I could spend my own money)

that fact...paying 60$ for xbox live a year to play online.

Now that they can both pretty much do all the same stuff, like cross game chat and whatnot, there is nothing making PSN a tradeoff.

14. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I'd remain skeptical with that. Remote Play this gen featured huge amounts of lag and judging from the demo they showed, that doesn't seem to have changed.

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    PS4 titles on PSPlus will work just fine, if there will be any.
    If keyword.
    They stated that the games are in the works and they're the first to be shown. It's fair to expect that they're well-into development. We'll know more on E3.
    Streaming is streaming. It might work over the internet, I don't see why it would not. In fact, that's the core of Gaikai to begin with.

16. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Ever since I've gotten into PC repair and other computer oriented things, I've begun to like and respect Microsoft more and more (like I have with Google). I hope Microsoft has a great console to offer (after the PS4 announcement they had better but I digress). That way there will be massive competition this gen and that will keep these bastards on their toes.

Between the big three, Nintendo has balanced Cost with Power and Features. While their console may be gimmicky, they seem to know what they want to do with it and how to do it well. I look forward to their flagship titles.

Sony has a powerhouse that seems to be incredibly easy to program for on an x86 platform, and seems to have new online features (stuff we've never seen integrated directly into a console before). That was one of my biggest beefs with the PS3. This shows that Sony is not only paying attention to the market and developers, but also learning from their own mistakes. Which is encouraging.

Microsoft better have a console that balances Power, Features, and Cost in order to make itself the last Triforce of the Three. Something worthy to challenge both Nintendo and Sony as they seem to have pulled out all the stops this time.

chavosaur likes this.
  17. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    PS4 "Unveiling" a "success"...

...right :ninja:

NightsOwl likes this.
  18. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Did Sony kill your family... again?

KingVamp likes this.
  19. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Right.

If being the class contrarian helps you sleep at night, though, keep on keeping on, man.

20. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Yeah, I'll stick with my PS3 and WiiU for a while. Both have a huge library that I have yet to play through.

weavile001 and stanleyopar2000 like this.