Rumor: Microsoft To Announce 360 Successor in April

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want the best possible graphics available. If the cards don't look real in Freecell and the tiles don't look real in Shanghai then the games just cannot be fun at all!!
Come on now. I like great graphics as much as the rest of you, but if a game isn't fun to play the graphics won't mean shit. It has to be a mingling of good gameplay and good to great graphics that will really decide. So it is really more dependent on the software makers than the actual console itself.

I don't think anyone has ever said "A game is fun if it has good graphics."

There's a huge amount of strawmanning on the "graphics = games" front. Literally I have never met a single person in my life who has said "Well Game X kinda plays like shit, but I like it because it looks good."

Also gameplay doesn't necessarily make a game either. A combination of different elements do. Soundtrack, voice acting, story, environment, and yes, even graphics make a game. No single element makes a game good.

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So anyway. I'm not going to drag myself into the graphics argument.

The Nextbox probably wont be getting my attention at all. The Xbox and 360 before it have both failed miserably, and I haven't found a single thing I like about either of them. Sony has the PS1 and PS2 for me, and Nintendo has a lot for me, and Microsoft has... nothing.

If they impress me, I'll be shocked. At this point I don't think it's going to happen though.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anyone has ever said "A game is fun if it has good graphics."

There's a huge amount of strawmanning on the "graphics = games" front. Literally I have never met a single person in my life who has said "Well Game X kinda plays like shit, but I like it because it looks good."

Also gameplay doesn't necessarily make a game either. A combination of different elements do. Soundtrack, voice acting, story, environment, and yes, even graphics make a game. No single element makes a game good.
Endless Ocean comes to mind. It completely relied on exploration to keep you entertained. There was almost no story, no violence, nothing that was in other games could really apply to Endless Ocean. The only thing it had to rely on was Graphics, Music and single hand play. As a Wii only title, I questioned the Arika's sanity but when I tried it, I realized how awesome it played on the Wii despite the sub-par hardware and it's general limitations. In games like Endless Ocean, Graphics are a monumental pillar in determining how successful it will be. If it had been released on the PC and the other consoles, it would have been 10x better in that department and likely would have succeeded more at the cost of responsive controls and comfort.

EDIT: I still remember when I introduced my friends to it. Almost all of them thought it was a refreshing change of pace from other games. The immersive (literally and figuratively) exploration made you feel far removed from that comfy couch.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know for a fact that Sony and Microsoft are trying to push us all into the realm of digital media where we technically don't own a thing but rather will be paying for (or leasing if you will) the privilege to use said software and hardware provided by the privileged few.
What are you talking about? When you buy a DVD you are buying the license to watch the content. You don't own the disc or the content to be exact. It doesn't matter if it is optical or digital distribution, this has been going on for a long time.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Here's what I would do if I were Microsoft (besides all the partying with supermodels and all that):

• Build a mad overpowered powerhouse box with two of everything Sony has (8 cores? cram in 16. 8 GB RAM? Let's have 32. x86? We [i]own[/i] x86)
  • PC architecture, custom Windows 8, make porting dead easy
  • Sell it for half the manufacturing cost, undermine Sony, eat the losses
  • Create huge userbase
  • Run a service identical to Steam, offer same/better conditions to developers
  • Push SmartGlass
  • Continue to eat losses for a year until the game sales pick up, and then watch the mad moneyz come rolling in
  • Buy Switzerland

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes, The Eye, forgot about that thing. I think you have a point.

Still though, why do they spend so much time slamming Nintendo, seemed like there was a lot of that at E3.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
7 games... 2 atleast multiplatform (dont know what is the witness nor knack)... its like saying the wii u had a great launch line up...
WiiU's Launch Line-up consisted of a few ports, one good party game, one mediocre shooter and shovelware, pretty sure that there's no comparison here. That said, yeah, nobody knows the actual launch line-up yet, but at least we know that there are games in the works.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still though, why do they spend so much time slamming Nintendo, seemed like there was a lot of that at E3.

Because they're competitors?

All three companies take potshots at each other. There's no real anger or hatred there; they're just trying to make their product look the best among all others. That includes talking up your stuff and downplaying the alternatives. It's just friendly competition.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about? When you buy a DVD you are buying the license to watch the content. You don't own the disc or the content to be exact. It doesn't matter if it is optical or digital distribution, this has been going on for a long time.

The point is that this sort of trend is running over into areas of importance, such as education for one, where in certain bits of information can be owned by new networks, universities, etc. and therefore kept as personal property, thus enable to possibility to "legally" conceal incriminating evidence against crooked companies, networks within government, people in high places, etc. Likewise it opens the door to literally rewrite history for the fact that certain pieces of information can now be owned and therefore with held from the public and therefore public education. The privatizing of everything is not good, and is subject that goes far beyond the small concerns of the entertainment industry.

Because they're competitors?

All three companies take potshots at each other. There's no real anger or hatred there; they're just trying to make their product look the best among all others. That includes talking up your stuff and downplaying the alternatives. It's just friendly competition.

I guess, I just think it is cowardly. If anything Nintendo deserves props for bringing back the gaming industry from a premature grave and for all the innovation it has done over the years.

On that note, I sure miss Sega's days of having in house developers that were producing innovative products, but all that died a long time ago. :/

There wasn't. I think you're just making up an evil image of Sony where they go on stage and burn Miyamoto in effigy.

He did, I saw it! Then he encouraged Sony fans to gather in a witch hunt against Miyamoto, it was horrible!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess, I just think it is cowardly. If anything Nintendo deserves props for bringing back the gaming industry from a premature grave and for all the innovation it has done over the years.

On that note, I sure miss Sega's days of having in house developers that were producing innovative products, but all that died a long time ago. :/

Why doesn't Nintendo praise Microsoft for Windows? Hell I bet Nintendo uses Windows at their offices, where's their gratitude?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How is it cowardly to point out the flaws in your competitor's products? Gushing about the positives wouldn't exactly be a smart marketing move.

There is absolutely nobody who would deny that Nintendo saved the video game business, but that doesn't make them immune to criticism or failure. Respect has to be earned continually with good products and practices.

Competition is a good thing because it drives all three companies to improve; it's the perfect defense against complacency.

D

Deleted_171835

WiiU's Launch Line-up consisted of a few ports, one good party game, one mediocre shooter and shovelware, pretty sure that there's no comparison here. That said, yeah, nobody knows the actual launch line-up yet, but at least we know that there are games in the works.
Yeah...ZombiU isn't a "mediocre shooter".

The best games of the WiiU launch lineup were the two exclusives, NSMBU and ZombiU. The lineup was only good to those people who only owned a Wii this gen and haven't had a chance to try out these multiplatform games.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Genesis was originally sold entirely on its graphical prowess - remember "Blast Processing"? (You also have to remember that the Genesis was at first competing with the 8-bit NES. And the SNES, far superior? Hardly. It beat the Genesis, sure, but they were closer than you seem to think.)

It's easy to forget, but just because something no longer looks spectacular to us doesn't mean it wasn't a spectacle. People were blown away by games like Virtua Fighter - the graphics were the biggest selling point.

Technically speaking, the SNES was far superior. It could display 512 colors at a time from a selection of 32,768. The Genesis could display 64 at a time out of 512. To say nothing of the custom sound chip in the SNES and built in effects like mode 7. Let's not even start on the 3 button controller which had to be replaced later just so you could actually play fighting games.

The Genesis had some great games, and it sold well. But every multiplatform title of that genetation was better on the SNES, except MK1 without the blood, that was just silly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah...ZombiU isn't a "mediocre shooter".
Get Cricket Bat and Proceed to Win.

The best games of the WiiU launch lineup were the two exclusives, NSMBU and ZombiU. The lineup was only good to those people who only owned a Wii this gen and haven't had a chance to try out these multiplatform games.
I think the best two are actually Nintendo Land which actually looks like a fun game and NSMBU because well, it's Mario and it's a platformer - what's not to like? (Outside of the price but hey! That's an entirely different story)

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Genesis was originally sold entirely on its graphical prowess - remember "Blast Processing"? (You also have to remember that the Genesis was at first competing with the 8-bit NES. And the SNES, far superior? Hardly. It beat the Genesis, sure, but they were closer than you seem to think.)

It's easy to forget, but just because something no longer looks spectacular to us doesn't mean it wasn't a spectacle. People were blown away by games like Virtua Fighter - the graphics were the biggest selling point.

People have always cared about graphics - and at the same, graphics have never been the sole deciding factor. Even in this generation, supposedly the most "graphics obsessed", the weakest console won. The PS3's graphical prowess didn't save it from a tumultuous release. Take off the nostalgia goggles, they're blinding you.

But what I'm saying is people talking about GDDR5 and GDDR3 and such. It's like, who cares, you're still going to get amazing looking graphics that are far better than 360/PS3. Hell, as he said, the Forza games are great looking, and personally I think they're on par with Gran Turismo 5. Don't need the most hardware in something to get the best looking games.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it cowardly to point out the flaws in your competitor's products? Gushing about the positives wouldn't exactly be a smart marketing move.

There is absolutely nobody who would deny that Nintendo saved the video game business, but that doesn't make them immune to criticism or failure. Respect has to be earned continually with good products and practices.

Competition is a good thing because it drives all three companies to improve; it's the perfect defense against complacency.

This sort of "competition" reminds me of my Jr. High school days. I moved to small town Ohio from Dallas/Forth Worth Texas, back then it was not common place to have colored hair, a mo-hawk, or anything to the effect. Well I had what later came to be known as MC Hammer pants, though mine were not quite as baggy. I was heavily influenced by the break dancing scene in the early 80's, so I bought or make breaker cloths when ever I could get my hands on them. Likewise I was a skate rat (before there was X-Games) and dressed accordingly. Thrashed pants, batman shirts, skate shoes (for better grip), comed over Nazi mo-hawk hair do, etc.

Well the kids made fun of me to no end, and I was very quiet, very shy, and always polite back them so I just took it sheepishly. Well this was in 8th grade, after summer break and we all came back for 9th grade, MC Hammer had gotten big and baggy pants became a trend in the area, so everyone showed up to school with exactly the same type of pants they made fun of me for wearing the year before, and no one said a word about it, like they all had amnesia about the year before.

Then later, when I had my comb over mo-hawk, the kids used to make fun of me in gym class all the time for it, then no less than a month later, the kid that made fun of me the most, went and got a shorter, family friendlier version of the same hair cut, and all the boys talked him up about how cool it was and again never made mention of the fact that he stood there for weeks making fun of me only to copy me in the end. Lame!!!!

Well when you slam the Wiimote a thousand times over, then turn around and release a product that more or less does exactly the same thing...

...well that goes beyond the point of being competitive, that's just ignorant. That point aside, I do see what you are saying though, but I feel if a company wants to compete with the big N, then they need to do something innovative and not just rip them off. And yes, I know, Sony had their EYE technology and I will give them props for that as far as innovation goes, but the Wiimotes are just plane copying.

Anyhow, we are talking video games here, it's just fun talk, it ain't important, ain't gonna change the world, and ain't gonna help us sleep better at night. I hope you all understand that I just have these arguments for the sake of fun and don't intend any serious ill will. Well I am serious about Sony and Microsoft's (amongst many) attack against property and information, but well that's for everyone to learn as time goes on, sadly.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when you slam the Wiimote a thousand times over, then turn around and release a product that more or less does exactly the same thing...

...well that goes beyond the point of being competitive, that's just ignorant. That point aside, I do see what you are saying though, but I feel if a company wants to compete with the big N, then they need to do something innovative and not just rip them off. And yes, I know, Sony had their EYE technology and I will give them props for that as far as innovation goes, but the Wiimotes are just plane copying.

Anyhow, we are talking video games here, it's just fun talk, it ain't important, ain't gonna change the world, and ain't gonna help us sleep better at night. I hope you all understand that I just have these arguments for the sake of fun and don't intend any serious ill will. Well I am serious about Sony and Microsoft's (amongst many) attack against property and information, but well that's for everyone to learn as time goes on, sadly.

They don't really "slam the Wiimote" as much as you think. You basically also tried to make a metaphor that Nintendo is the poor innocent bullied kid in school.

If you're both so obsessed with a particularly company and/or so insecure about it that you say essentially that they're "bullied" and "innocent" when they're just a part of the system as much as their competitors, then you need to do some reevaluating. You ever watch a car ad? They slam other companies' shit a lot harder than game companies.

And we all know about the Move, yes it's banking on a popular trend, enough is enough. It's been a horse beaten to death years ago and if you're going to use that as a basis for everything Sony says then you need to really get used to business.

Reactions: Gahars
D

Deleted_171835

Get Cricket Bat and Proceed to Win.

I think the best two are actually Nintendo Land which actually looks like a fun game and NSMBU because well, it's Mario and it's a platformer - what's not to like? (Outside of the price but hey! That's an entirely different story)
It's nothing like that not to mention that ZombiU isn't even a shooter. It's more akin to a game like Dark Souls and is actually pretty fucking good.

Nintendo Land came packed in with the superior model so I didn't really count that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)