Rooting and flashing Xperia Z2

Loke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys.

Since i'm new to rooting and flashing phones I would like to ask some small questions before I start the process. I want to use this guide for the process: http://androidsigma.com/install-carbon-rom-sony-xperia-z2/ (and this for the root http://techchomps.com/how-to-root-23-0-1-a-0-167-android-4-4-4-kitkat-on-xperia-z2-and-z2-tablet/)

1. Is the carbon rom the recommended rom for the Z2? Or should I pick some other rom?
2. Is the rom able to autoupdate to the new android (5.x)? Or should i wait till the new version is announced?
3. I read i need to format my phone, is there any way to safely backup my messages and contacts? Also my agenda settings (i use a third party app) NEED to be saved. Is it safe to use a backup program like titanium backup and import the settings into my new rom?
4. Does my msd card need to be inserted? It feels safer to backup and remove the card from the phone.
5. Any other things I should know before starting?

I hope anyone will be able to answer my question.
Thanks you :)

Edit: Maybe i'll just use this video guide:

BamItzMuffinz

taengirene
Trophies
XP
Country
Late reply, but better late than never.
1. Is the carbon rom the recommended rom for the Z2? Or should I pick some other rom?
I've heard good things about both Carbon Rom and existenZ, but really it's down to personal preference. Perhaps one has features that the other lacks? Research on the XDA-Developers forum and you will more than likely find one that you like.
2. Is the rom able to autoupdate to the new android (5.x)? Or should i wait till the new version is announced?
Custom roms (in most cases) do not and for the foreseeable future will not autoupdate a whole version up. If you choose to download a KitKat ROM (current version of Android), you'll have to download and flash an entirely new ROM built on Lollipop, unless the ROM has an autoupdater built into it capable of doing version upgrades and the developer supports it. I haven't personally seen it done, but thinking about it, I guess it's possible.
3. I read i need to format my phone, is there any way to safely backup my messages and contacts? Also my agenda settings (i use a third party app) NEED to be saved. Is it safe to use a backup program like titanium backup and import the settings into my new rom?
Titanium Backup is the way to go for this. Download the app, make a backup to your SD card, then reinstall on the new ROM and restore your apps/settings. I don't know if it does messages and contacts, though. I also suggest making a nand backup, and a backup of your micro SD card (both CWM and TeamWin recoveries can do this).
4. Does my msd card need to be inserted? It feels safer to backup and remove the card from the phone.
No, it does not, provided your ROM is on the phone's internal memory. However, if you make a backup of the card, you shouldn't have any problems. ROMs don't usually wipe the micro SD unless you choose an option to.
5. Any other things I should know before starting?
I don't know if it still counts, but if it does, BACK UP YOUR DRM KEYS AND TA PARTITION. These are (or maybe, were) critical Sony implemented DRM features that will be erased after unlocking your device's bootloader, which is critical to installing new kernels. Some ROMs however will work fine with a locked bootloader. You can find guides on the DRM key/TA partition backup. Without these, many Sony features will fail to work, such as DRM protected services, and camera quality also deteriorates due to missing system key to access the Sony BionZ camera processor, which does image processing after the photo is taken. This results in grainy low light images that may previously have been much better. I made the mistake of unlocking the bootloader on my Z1 without backing these up, and now I live with the consequences. :P

Hope I helped, ahah.

Loke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know if it still counts, but if it does, BACK UP YOUR DRM KEYS AND TA PARTITION. These are (or maybe, were) critical Sony implemented DRM features that will be erased after unlocking your device's bootloader, which is critical to installing new kernels. Some ROMs however will work fine with a locked bootloader. You can find guides on the DRM key/TA partition backup. Without these, many Sony features will fail to work, such as DRM protected services, and camera quality also deteriorates due to missing system key to access the Sony BionZ camera processor, which does image processing after the photo is taken. This results in grainy low light images that may previously have been much better. I made the mistake of unlocking the bootloader on my Z1 without backing these up, and now I live with the consequences. :P

Hope I helped, ahah.

I made a backup of the keys before i installed my rom. After having troubles with CM11 and carbon i installed existenz. Now everything is working as it should. I noticed the option for locked bootloader in the existenz menu, should i restore my backup keys? Also, do i need to reinstall the rom?

Anyway, it took way too long. I'm happy with the results, but don't want to bother with it again any time soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉