Romhacks and fan translations website CDRomance takes all downloads off-site after a DMCA threat

1707756902284.png

One of the most popular websites in regard to romhacks, fan translations and other kinds of pre-patched modifications to retro titles has always been CDRomance. Chances are if you were looking for a specific mod or hack for a certain title, most likely you'd find it there in an already patched form. However, as of this past weekend, the way in which CDRomance operates has changed.

On February 11th, CDRomance's owner, nicknamed "Spike" received what seems to be a notice by the ESA (Entertainment Software Association), which effectively took down CDRomance's ads that helped maintaining the servers online. This action prompted Google to ask for the removal of any kind of file-sharing going on with the website, to which Spike complied and disabled direct links from the website itself. According to Spike, it seems like the possible action taken against CDRomance could have been from someone posing as the ESA, and not the actual ESA itself, but to avoid any kind of troubles as to whether or not the treat was made by the real ESA or not, Spike decided to remove the direct links either way.

This is surely a big hit for preservation of a great amount of fan translations and romhacks all around, as CDRomance also helped preserve different revisions of projects themselves.

Not all is lost though, as many users online have already found a workaround for the direct links being taken down, and also there's certain scripts floating around that could also help with this endeavour, for those that wish to backup the catalog of CDRomance's files in case of a more dire situation.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The owner Spike is definitely a name drop b/c that site had its name/link changed so many times to dodge DMCA. That was my
main source for PS Vita, PS3 and, 3DS (Before he removed Nintendo games) back in those days.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If Archive goes down, everything is gonna blow up in Nintendo's face in the aftermath. So many sites will pop up, they won't be able to take it all down. I treat Archive as if it's the library of Alexandria, but I don't want it to share the same fate.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If Archive goes down, everything is gonna blow up in Nintendo's face in the aftermath. So many sites will pop up, they won't be able to take it all down. I treat Archive as if it's the library of Alexandria, but I don't want it to share the same fate.
https://archive.org/about/dmca.php

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"This download is ESA protected"
ESA-protected my ass. I've seen that there's a Tampermonkey script to bypass that restriction, so not the end of the world. Can't post it here, tho. :P

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wonder if nintendo had anything to do with this? :creep:
well since the ESA is involved, it would be equivalent of a movie/tv sharing site getting shut down by the MPA(A).

it hosted files that isn't just Nintendo's. but a large majority of them are all in the ESA (Sony, SEGA, T2, Microsoft, etc)

tsam2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ESA-protected my ass. I've seen that there's a Tampermonkey script to bypass that restriction, so not the end of the world. Can't post it here, tho. :P
Same happened with emuparadise. There was a workaround in the beginning but after a while stopped working.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol