Romhacks and fan translations website CDRomance takes all downloads off-site after a DMCA threat

1707756902284.png

One of the most popular websites in regard to romhacks, fan translations and other kinds of pre-patched modifications to retro titles has always been CDRomance. Chances are if you were looking for a specific mod or hack for a certain title, most likely you'd find it there in an already patched form. However, as of this past weekend, the way in which CDRomance operates has changed.

On February 11th, CDRomance's owner, nicknamed "Spike" received what seems to be a notice by the ESA (Entertainment Software Association), which effectively took down CDRomance's ads that helped maintaining the servers online. This action prompted Google to ask for the removal of any kind of file-sharing going on with the website, to which Spike complied and disabled direct links from the website itself. According to Spike, it seems like the possible action taken against CDRomance could have been from someone posing as the ESA, and not the actual ESA itself, but to avoid any kind of troubles as to whether or not the treat was made by the real ESA or not, Spike decided to remove the direct links either way.

This is surely a big hit for preservation of a great amount of fan translations and romhacks all around, as CDRomance also helped preserve different revisions of projects themselves.

Not all is lost though, as many users online have already found a workaround for the direct links being taken down, and also there's certain scripts floating around that could also help with this endeavour, for those that wish to backup the catalog of CDRomance's files in case of a more dire situation.

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Very good,now the great Dreamcast Translations are gone.....😡

archive.org is becoming more and more important...
I supported Archive.org with a Donation to pay for their server & attorney costs. I'd urge anyone who can to do the same, the freedom of the entire Internet depends on Archive.org to continue existing without interference and censorship from mega corporations.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
get used for corporate douche bags to suck all the fun out of people who hurt no one because of the "LosTpRofit" or "HurtinGthEdeVeLOpeRs" crap.
As a pirate, I am very much used to this

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day, if everything goes according to plan, there will be no physical media left or any sort of downloads available anywhere but outside of the IP holder's limited walled garden shops.

I look forward to all the media that will be lost to greed. These companies have already proven they cannot be trusted to properly maintain their own property. Pathetic.

Also, rom hacks of ancient titles are totally a large contributor to lost income... Excuse me while I go pickup my eyeballs that rolled over to the other side of the room.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
it was called nicoblog before it was cdromance....wonder how they gonna name it next to evade dcma.
So now I know what happened to nicoblog haha.

I guess we'll end up with a emuparadise situation here, which is not bad considering. I just hope they mirror translation and hack patches on their own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto