Hacking Rom Position Patch, Saver Patch... what for?

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
these two options are top most in the properties panel you can fiddle around trying to get roms working. ther rest of the options i figured out but what kind of 'effect' those two options have i could not find out.

hence what use has "Rom Position Patch" and "Saver Patch"? and could they help in sovling problems?

riggs

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 'Rom Position Patch' will load the game into the Supercard RAM, rather than 'streaming' it from the SD card.
'Saver Patch' [set to 'DS Card'] - I think this writes the savegame to the DS cart rather than storing them on the CF/SD. So whatever original game you've got in your DS will have it's save overwritten with whatever ROM you load form the Supercard (providing the DS cart and ROM both use the same save type).

I think that's what they do anyway...

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 'Rom Position Patch' will load the game into the Supercard RAM, rather than 'streaming' it from the SD card.
'Saver Patch' [set to 'DS Card'] - I think this writes the savegame to the DS cart rather than storing them on the CF/SD. So whatever original game you've got in your DS will have it's save overwritten with whatever ROM you load form the Supercard (providing the DS cart and ROM both use the same save type).

I think that's what they do anyway...

Yeah that's about it, needs some correction on the saver patch (er, i mean a bit more info to understand)

Rom Position Patch: When set to supercard it loads the rom first into the memory of the supercard, letting you play it back then like a normal cartridge based game
BUT this means Longer bootup time (it copies first the rom, then starts the game) Once ingame it should be equal to the other methode
When set to SD/CF it reads the data when t needs it from your storage device, means faster bootup)

Sometimes a game will not work when set to SD but will work when using the supercard option.

Saver Patch: When set to DS you need an original game in the ds with THE SAME SAVE SIZE/TYPE as the game you want to play.

This means, let's say, Nintendogs uses a 2Mbit FLASH save, this means you need an original game in the DS that also used 2Mbit FLASH in order to be able to save your game progress (This means your save on that card WILL be overwritten, be sure to make a backup of it with REIN R16)

Most roms do a check and give an error when a wrong ds cartridge is inserted, or the refuse to boot, some boot and let you play, but when it comes to saving it errors if the wrong save type is in the ds slot.

Now, we mostly will NOT need it cause most/all games save fine on SD/CF

It is usefull this option if you want to figure out a save type of a game, like i do to find out the save type for my compatibility list
Or if a new Save type comes out that the software does not support (but you can count on it that the software will be updated faster, then you can find an original gamecart that uses the new save type
biggrin.gif
)

riggs

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant DjoeNtje...but couldn't be bothered to go into detail
tongue.gif

omegatr0n; I think setting the ROM position to Supercard does speed up a few games - Animal Crossing springs to mind (it'll just speed up the load time when entering/exiting rooms). tbh though, I don't really think you need to use it as Supercard runs about 99% of ROM's at full speed anyway (providing your CF/SD card is fast with a low acess time).

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
OP
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
thanks for the info. concerning loading games into the flashcard i heard that SD only has 32MB ram so that's anyways only an option for smaller games and so far i found them to load quick anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi