ROM Hack rom hacking

fice3717

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys today in class a programmer came in and talked to us and i got some info about how to hack roms and i was wondering if it is right? so i need the Nintendo ds sdk and the info on the arm9 and arm7 so i can understand the rom better and how and what every thing does and of cores a hex editor so i was wondering is there anything else i need? and also does any one know were i can get the arm9 and arm7 info from??

much appreciated
biggrin.gif

oh and were whould i find the official nintendo ds sdk?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you're talking about, but I do know that you need DSBUFF along with DSLAZY for Rom Hacking ---> [ Both of these tools can be found in the 'Downloads' section of GBAtemp ] ...And I think you get the Arm 7 from the Downloads section as well

fice3717

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got told that i need the nintendo sdk and the arm9/7 to be able to understand the rom in the hex editor

ShinRyouma

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
fice3717 said:
i got told that i need the nintendo sdk and the arm9/7 to be able to understand the rom in the hex editor
I don't understand what you mean, but if you want to learn romhacking you can read the stickies in this "ROM Hacking and Translation" section, or you can read all documents in romhacking.net/start.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo ds sdk- this is a copyrighted or worse item so we can not link it up.
It is a bit useful as it contains formats that are commonly used in DS games (NFTR, narc, carc, NBSMD and sdat are all examples of such formats) but any hacker who knows anything will tell you they can be badly implemented, extended or outright replaced with other formats. Frankly though relying on the SDK is about as bad as relying on premade tools to do the job (you can get stuff done but it will not make you a hacker let alone a good one).

arm9 and arm7- these are the processors in the DS. Generally speaking in official DS roms the ARM9 does the bulk of the work while the arm7 does cleanup/junk tasks and is actually similar enough that you can swap it between games and they still work (or better work on a flash cart where they would not before). Note however homebrew can and frequently does differently.
In addition to this you also have overlays; these are small sections of code that can be loaded at will to spare you from having to have the entire binary in the rather limited memory, thanks to DLDI homebrew does not use this (it could but it is not used). The skill of choice is assembly coding which is justifiably considered hard and realistically most hacks can be performed without knowing it (the very best ones or those with the biggest changes will have to know it mind but for basic translations, sound hacks, model hacks, level hacks, texture hacks, sprite hacks and so on you can get away without knowing it).
If you want info though:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

hyparx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh ...
I figured out text partly by bashing around with the insides of Megaman ZX with just a hex editor
[HitDwZX thread]

You can get the sdk from the WarioWorld website, but you have to be an
"offical developed with a seucure, non home, office site " ~ good luck with that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • crafthp434 @ crafthp434:
    like i searched all folders
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    are you using haxchi, tiramisu or aroma?
    yeah
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    no, I'm asking which one of them you are using
    aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    in that case, there is no such thing as homebrew launcher for aroma
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    you have to launch your homebrews directly from the wii u menu
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    there is a plugin that display them on the wii u menu, pretty sure it is enabled by default
    so like it doesnt exist
    yeah
    ?
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    it doesn't exist, at least not for aroma
    ohhhhh
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    on tiramisu you can access it by opening mii maker
    okay
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have a wii u anymore to test it myself, but if homebrews are not visible on the wii u menu I think you can press L + R + minus to open the plugin menu, there should be an option called "homebrews on wii u menu" or something similar
    nope
    it is L+dpad down+ select
    but homebrew is appearing in the home menu btw
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    yes, now I remember it
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    then it is working, I also don't like that they did this but it is the only option you have if you are using aroma
    i just didint know the homebrew launcher didint exist in aroma
    thanks btw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im downloading fallout 3 goty edition
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm downloading more ram for my hamster pc