1. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Rome wasn't built in a day, and it didn't fall in a day, either!

2. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    What the fk are you talking about, Winblows is only winning as its preinstalled on like every laptop so all dem grannys and parents learn it just by having to. If people gave Linux the time of day they would be using it right now.

Open Source Everything > $$$ or Infected Pirate Winblows

3. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

United States
    Epic is Epic Garbage.

Watching them grow as a company has been like watching someone poop in slow motion over 15 years.

4. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    I've used Linux a bit, didn't quite get the appeal... Not really a fan of Windows 10 either, though.

5. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Dust2#9629

Australia
    I get that the whole "Epic bad" circlejerk is getting tiresome for some people, but holy shit that's just an awful move on their part. Alienating a decent bit of their fanbase who most likely purchased in-game content only to get utterly shafted by the devs.

6. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

United States
    I switched to rocket league on linux because it played buttery smooth, unlike on Windows where it was massively stuttering for me. Good thing I don't really play it anymore, knew things would go downhill after it was sold to Epic.

nachodorito likes this.
  7. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Well, this was something I expected, but... it doesn't make me any happier to see it.

NoNAND and Silent_Gunner like this.
  8. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

United States
    Oh look, someone missed the joke.
    Mac OS, yes. Linux, not so much. Linux may have been irrelevant at some point, but that's not the case anymore.

NoNAND likes this.
  9. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the userbase on those systems must have been low, and if that's the case then I understand dropping support for OS that isn't brining in enough money to warrant supporting it.

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Linux isn't the end all OS some of you preach it to be. Just Uninstalled Manjaro after a BIOS update broke GRUB because I was too lazy to fix it. It's a good series of OSes if you're wanting to be in control. However, gaming on it is a chore (even with Proton and Lutris) and productivity is hit or miss depending on what you need. Saw WINE got a huge update, though. Still.. It's a niche ecosystem that honestly needs work.

Hell, streaming from OBS was an awful experience. Coupled with the other quirks I experienced? I'd be hard pressed to suggest any flavor of Linux to gamers

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Iirc, Linux users were in the low single digit percentage of users on Steam.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Meepers55 and banjo2 like this.
  11. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Princess of Cuddles

New Zealand
    Honestly with how unstable Windows 10 is I wish for an alternative after 20+ years of using Windows since the late 90s.

Unfortunately just about everything I do on a PC requires Windows.

I'd like to see a company make an OS with all of the apps and features I currently use on Windows, minus Windows 10 bugs and make a big push for it as a gaming platform. Maybe they could make consoles with a locked down version of the OS (which can also be unlocked by the user) to attract gamers and developers. Something I really wish Windows could do is natively support using a controller to navigate the OS for the custom game console HTPC I've been building.

I think there is a gap on the market for a fully featured and user friendly Windows killer that's versatile toward workstation setups, PC gaming setups and console gaming/HTPC setups in a single kernel. Maybe a new startup could achieve something like this with a custom Linux based OS?

banjo2 likes this.
  12. Meepers55

Meepers55 Flintstones Regular

United States
    If the game wasn't doing well enough on those platforms to warrant continued support, then I don't see much of an issue with this decision. It's clear they want to keep developing new content for the game, but doing so while also upkeeping each version is getting to be too costly.

The backlash definitely wouldn't have been as bad if they just outright said this instead of releasing a poorly worded statement that could be easily misinterpreted. It's not like this is something new to the industry; there's no need for lousy excuses.

13. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Sweden
    Being bought by Epic wasn't enough?
    This is a punch in the gut.

Epic also recently gave money to Lutris.
    So this move is beyond comprehension.
    Or do they think it's good enough with Lutris and not native support?

14. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    The PC user base in general dropped off hard after Psyonix was bought by Epic, even more when they increased prices of all the MTX. Any move which turns away any percentage of customers at this point is a bad move, but then again, that's under the assumption that Epic actually cares about sustaining this game for the long term, and they probably don't.

Memoir likes this.
  15. campbell0505

campbell0505 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    This has got me thinking, if rocket league is still big in 5 - 10 years (that’s if epic doesn’t stuff it up) do you think they’d eventually end support for the Switch/Xbox one/PS4 versions? It’s going to happen at some stage, but when? With Mac it’s more simple to transfer your progress over as I believe your progress is cloud saved by steam on rocket league (not sure, don’t play rl on pc) but with consoles, you can’t transfer to a different platform (etc switch to Xbox), would they open a window of time where you can transfer somehow, or do you think their progress will just be stopped in their tracks and they’ll have to start over on a new platform in order to continue playing online.

16. wiiuepiccpu

wiiuepiccpu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I guess im the only sh#t head that uses mac huh?

MxAnthropocene and nachodorito like this.
  17. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Sounds like your just having Linux-noob problems.
    I have Lutris, Battle.net, Steam, OBS, everything working perfectly.

Sophie-bear likes this.
  18. Meepers55

Meepers55 Flintstones Regular

United States
    This statement is just so dismissive.

"Everything works fine for me so anyone who has issues or critiques is just a noob." Flawless logic right here. You sound no different than the people who use Windows.

19. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

United States
    wrong way to word things rocket league peeps.

20. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    It's also partly why I won't go back. There's an obscene elitism among a pretty good chunk of the Linux community. Especially when it comes down to "how it works". This isn't the first time I've gotten some backlash for sharing my experience with Linux and how it just didn't work out. Probably won't be the last, either.

There's a lot to learn when switching to Linux. It's not as plug n' play as someone like Pragma wants you to believe. Whether it's the obsessively overbearing command line. Or how the package manager works within your flavor of Linux. It's not perfect. It can work for you if it's what you need. For the average user? Not so much.

brickmii82 and nachodorito like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (UPDATE), support, Rocket