1. nachodorito

nachodorito Newbie
    Newcomer

Chile
    I get ya, my first laptop was killed because I installed ubuntu at the wrong time. People think macOS and Linux aren't used at all, but the creative apps on Mac, and server solutions on Linux are one of the best.

Pipistrele and Memoir like this.
  2. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    Now they're telling Linux/Mac users to refund the game, and all refunds are being denied. What a bunch of wankers.

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Concubus™ Grumpy Enby

Antarctica
    "Small devs," Psyonix is literally owned by Epic, they aren't small anymore. As well they were doing just fine until they were bought out by Epic. This isn't about some OS wars, Epic has a record of being openly hostile towards Linux users in particular and now it seems they are going after macOS users as well
    https://twitter.com/taciturasa/status/1125106408196907008?s=20
    In short, Epic doesn't like anything other than Windows and anything they buy they pull the support for different operating systems. They are deliberately cutting off fans who don't use Windows because Epic refuses to support any other OS.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    It's so sad. An official member of Psyonix telling people to request a refund through their official support channels. Who, in turn, direct you to Steam.. Who just say "lol no". Quite the trip! I'd get a refund.. If I didn't get the game through humble bundle 4 years ago.

RedBlueGreen and Xzi like this.
  5. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    This is almost like Ooblets 2.0. I've never seen a company ever promote being a fucking dick to paying customers on this level.

Can't wait for other companies to start using their own engines and for Epic to become a beggar, only to get torn to shreds the moment they try to win people back!

Xzi likes this.
  6. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Worldblender likes this.
  7. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    You know, they could still do it. They're just saying "We don't care enough about Linux and Mac OS (or anything else Unix-based) to support them."

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i doubt one person even played it on them platforms :lol:

9. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Regular

France
    Well, then you are wrong

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Disappointing, but understandable from business standpoint - it's most likely just not worth it to support two relatively unpopular gaming platforms, and there are probably better things to spend that extra time/money on.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

AFAIK, when people say nobody uses Linux, they usually mean Linux Desktop. I mean, everyone in the industry uses Linux for servers and all sorts of specific devices - but barely anyone aside of specific hobbyists ever installs Linux on their PC, because Desktop Linux is, let's be honest here, just kind of jank.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    nachodorito likes this.
  11. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Regular

France
    Meh, If you just want to give a second youth to an old PC that anyway won't be able to do anything but office work, Linux is a very good choice and will be much more stable than Windows, so I don't necessarily agree. Basically, it's just that everyone is much more used to Windows and it's much easier to use despite its many flaws.

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    For sure, Desktop Linux has its share of good use cases (installing Lubuntu/Xubuntu on old PC for example). Still, after using both Windows and Ubuntu/Debian for enough time, I think it just comes down to Windows being more reliable where it counts - I don't have to go into adventures to fix my Wi-Fi due to having an HP notebook, I don't have to deal with very specific issues such as touchpad delay or self-disconnecting Bluetooth module, I don't have to constantly jump between software installation methods (where some stuff is installed through "apt-get", some through code compiling, some through snaps), and many other "I don't have to" that make Linux feel pretty janky in comparison to any well-developed proprietary OC. As much as I love Linux for fascinating FOSS movement behind it, the it-just-works appeal of Windows and MacOS is unbeatable in the long run (unless you're the kind of person who just likes tinkering with things).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  13. GenoJasonA

GenoJasonA Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Oh no! if only there was a way to install windows on a Mac.... oh wait

14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    The only reason I use Windows is because it's so user friendly and pretty much everything runs on it, and is designed with it in mind. If Linux got the same official support as Windows and there was a distro that was as easy to use as Windows I'd be using Linux.

I've considered just dual booting and using Linux for productivity, but so much stuff runs on Windows only, and I don't feel like playing with Wine, or having Windows 10 on a VM just for things that don't support Linux.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    banjo2 and Memoir like this.
  15. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    To be fair, it used to be... ironically one of their best showings was the MacOS PPC port of UT 2004. At the time, the G5 just launched and my first exposure to the game was on a store demo unit that had the game installed. It was also the first time I was able to ever run a game on literal maximum settings. Everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING, turned on, on a big ol' 30" display. So big, I literally had to crane my head around to see the whole hud, let alone all the action. Back in a time period where the best on PC was still a single-core Athlon64 and dual 6800 Ultra's in SLI, and it still couldn't reliably hit the performance the Mac build was doing.

Compared to that, I'd more likely argue that Linux isn't a real gaming OS. it's still has its strengths in handling the servers. but for desktop? Yeah, no, not ever. Not kidding when I say the only *nix based anything that hasn't made me cry in frustration has been Mac OS X. There's STILL basic things expected of a desktop OS that Linux is miserable at handling. Hell, effing Windows 98 and DOS is better at handling multiple sound cards than Linux is. It's arguable if anyone that champions Linux for desktop even uses anything beyond a $2 realtek chip, let alone anything that does any real audio processing.

It's like ever since tasting that lootbox money, Tim Sweeney went from being the guy that was the only dev willing to give the PS3 architecture a legit shot and make UT3 as fast as it was, to "lol screw everyone" and make all these anti-consumer decisions that just piss everyone off.

16. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Could be something weird like they know direct x 13 is coming (Though I doubt it), but probably 98% of players are on windows, and there's probably been a lot less players recently, and management is cutting cost.

17. Forgotten_Email

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    This wouldn't be as big of a problem since Proton is compatible, I think...

Knowing Epic Games, they'll probably pull the game from Steam which will mean you'll have to use Lutris but that's got problems with Lutris

18. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Proton is more of a solution because of the lack of a native port for a game. It's like (This is a comparison, not a statement on what is and isn't) having to play a game via an emulator as opposed to it being coded to run on as many different pieces of hardware natively as possible.

Basically, imagine what people have done with Doom 1 and 2 on so many different devices, and compare that with the amount of devices running Doom 2016.

19. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Uh, what? Macs have had better proprietary video support than Linux since...forever, and always will. There's a reason why media creators prefer them. This is the most ignorant thing I've read in a while.

Gross.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  20. Forgotten_Email

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I'm talking about this from the perspective of Epic, who an see how Linux isn't viable cost-wise unless things improve rapidly or Microsoft messes up really badly

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (UPDATE), support, Rocket