1. 9,044

Front-page
    header_alt_assets_10.jpg

Rocket League has been going through many changes, following the purchase of developer Psyonix by Epic Games. The latest announcement for the game doesn't alter lootboxes or attempt to change storefronts this time, however. Citing "adapting [the game] to use new technologies" and difficulties in supporting multiple platforms on PC, Psyonix has decided to end macOS and Linux support for Rocket League this year. Soon, a patch will go live for the Steam version of the game, disabling online features for the game for those not on Windows. Matchmaking, private matches, tournaments, Rocket Pass, item shop, in-game events. and anything requiring online connections will no longer work, and will be exclusive to the Windows version of Rocket League. Local/offline features will still work as expected, though, with local co-op/versus, car customization, and old Steam workshop maps still being usable. This change is expected to take place in early March.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE: Psyonix's community manager has released a statement regarding the issue, along with some updates on refunding.

You can read the full statement at the link below.

:arrow: Update

2. Discussion (94 replies)

3. laurorual

laurorual What are you looking for?

Brazil
    "the best experience possible for all our players" how can they say that if "all players" means players from Linux and macOS as well?
    i mean, linux players may not be affected by this because of proton, but i think proton still doesn't works in macOS, so yeah, bad move from them in my opinion.

4. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Except those on macOS and Linux. They don't use a real OS, they're not real people. - Epic, probably.

Worst case scenario, you've got Steam's proton compatibility for Linux and Bootcamp for Mac, but that's still annoying. Don't try to phrase it like you're helping your userbase when you're taking choices away from them. Just man up and say you don't want to develop for the platform if you have to be that lazy.

5. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    Damn it, no more Rocket League on Manjaro. I shall rage to the end of time!

6. banjo2

banjo2 little man

United States
    Imagine using MacOS, this post is sponsored by Linux ga- oh wait

7. relauby

relauby Contributor
    Contributor

Canada
    I don’t know how whether or not it would affect performance, but can’t macOS users just Bootcamp into Windows 10? That’s how I play all my games on my MacBook, and I don’t really have any issues (though Rocket League is probably more intensive than all the games I’ve tried on my computer).

StrayGuitarist likes this.
  8. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    Yeah, I mean if they spent money on a Windows 10 license to dual boot... sure.

AkiraKurusu and StrayGuitarist like this.
  9. mbcrazed

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    That kind of sucks because I do most of my programming on MacOS and Linux. I guess it's time to install a new solid state and have Windows just for games.

10. Nobody_Important4u

Nobody_Important4u Just Another Shitposter

Poland
    And nobody care's about mac version except american's which I don't care about.
    But i know one person that may care about Linux so that's something.

CrossOut likes this.
  11. James_

James_ just being a Meowstic

United Kingdom
    "We want Rocket League to be the best experience possible for all our players."

MacOS and Linux users:
    [​IMG]

12. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Advanced Fan

"new technologies" or in other words they are just lazy fucks trying to save some bucks by removing Linux and OSX support. There is no "new technology" both of these operating systems can't support.

13. laurorual

laurorual What are you looking for?

Brazil
    You have to reboot the machine just to enter Windows in bootcamp, right?
    Imaigne you have to reboot your machine everytime you want to play some game and then come back to macOS to work or do some other macOS especific stuff, that isn't cool i guess.

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Well, I couldn't despise EPIC any more already, so this changes nothing for me.

Lately it behaves like some evil cartoonish conglomerate. But you know, aim to the top!

15. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Japan
    Yeah, okay. Nice. Now I can't play one of my favorite games on my computer.
    Rocket League is the one game I've ever bought any microtransactions on because I loved it so much and had a good amount of friends playing it.
    Thanks for teaching me a lesson I won't forget: microtransactions never.

16. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

United States
    EGS-exclusive Rocket League incoming...

17. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't think it's a good decision, but the numbers aren't really there if they're gonna stop supporting the game.
    Plus many linux users use linux because they have an older system that couldn't play the game anyway or they're a tech user who probably has both anyway. If not then it's probably someone used to lack of linux and mac os support.

18. Chary

OP Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    Kraken_X and Silent_Gunner like this.
  19. NoNAND

NoNAND Give me back my legions!

Albania
    Linux and Mac OS are irrelevant anyway.

20. Forgotten_Email

Newcomer

United Kingdom
    So now that's a good chunk of linux players going back to windows, thanks Epic!

21. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    People over on r/linuxgaming called this happening. "New technologies"... Like what? Seriously? Are you adding EAC? Or Switching to some unknown game engine? Or.. and this is difficult to believe I know.. You just let go the part of the staff that worked with Mac and Linux porting?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    codezer0 and Xzi like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (UPDATE), support, Rocket