• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Robert Pickton died at 74, following an assault in prison

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Robert Pickton, also known as The Pig Famer Killer or The Butcher, was a serial killer in Vancouver's downtown, where he abducted prostitutes and would kill them on his farm.
He would dispose of the bodies by feeding them to the pigs on his farm and was disposing of the bones/skeleton by mixing them with his pig's at disposal centers.
He was first convicted for 6 second-degree murder, charged for 26 murders, but has confessed 49 murders, saying he was disappointed of getting caught before reaching 50.
On June 2018, Robert Pickton was transferred from a penitenciary center from British Columbia to the penitanciary center of Port-Cartier in the Province of Quebec, after receiving death threat.
On May 19th 2024, Robert Pickton was attacked by another prisoner, by using a broken broom handle as a spear.
He died today, on May 31st, after having been on life-support over 10 days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-serial-killer-robert-pickton-dead-following-prison-attack-1.6908969

I'm not the kind of guy who usually rejoyce of someone's death, but I still got to say it
Good riddance

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know. But I can still be dissatisfied that horrible people can live long while good people die younger.
Well, there is one thing I don't understand at all.
Because here in Canada, our justice system is based on redemption, even for murderers. And thus, the heaviest sentence you can get here is for first-degree murder, which is a life sentence in prison without possibility of parole before 25 years.
What I don't understand is in united states, where you can get 758 years of prison (no death penalty). It means the person will live, will never get out of prison (with these type of sentence, they will get the possibility of parole only after like 200 years), and that means they will only be a burden to society.
They will be fed, housed, healed/nursed, entertained for the rest of their live, and that will be financed with citizen's taxes.
I don't know how much it costs in usa, but here, in Canada, a single convict costs us 82 000$ every year.
At this point, instead of imprisonning someone for 800+ years, where they don't have a single chance of (legally) getting released, why not just giving them a death penalty, i mean...

Reactions: BigOnYa

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know how much it costs in usa, but here, in Canada, a single convict costs us 82 000$ every year.
At this point, instead of imprisonning someone for 800+ years, where they don't have a single chance of (legally) getting released, why not just giving them a death penalty, i mean...
I remember several years ago when Canadian senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu was still in function, he proposed for murderers imprisoned for life, that they should be provided with a piece of rope, and then let them choose what they want to do with it. It was highly criticized back then, and he had to retract his words. He lost his daughter to a rapist/murderer, so his opinion was understandable.

Concerning Pickton, I read that his killer used the broken broomstick and shoved it in his nose cavity, fatally damaging his brain. I guess this guy didn't like him too much. Karma is a bitch.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Concerning Pickton, I read that his killer used the broken broomstick and shoved it in his nose cavity, fatally damaging his brain. I guess this guy didn't like him too much. Karma is a bitch.
I don't think it has anything to do with "not liking him". Apparently, this specific prisoner has an historic of attacking other prisoners

Also, a lot of prisonners have a code of honor, where some crimes are unforgivable, and this is what happen to them in prison.
Usually, the reason why you were sent in prison remains secret, but, you know, everybody will know someday.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it has anything to do with "not liking him". Apparently, this specific prisoner has an historic of attacking other prisoners

Also, a lot of prisonners have a code of honor, where some crimes are unforgivable, and this is what happen to them in prison.
Usually, the reason why you were sent in prison remains secret, but, you know, everybody will know someday.
Yeah, I imagine the scene... The prisoner comes to Pickton and tells him "Nothing personal, man, I don't hate you." And then proceeds to attack him with the broomstick. Just joking. A prison is a violent place by nature, so these things can and will happen. Now we just need to see Paul Bernardo also have an accident of that nature. He used to be in Port-Cartier also, but I'm not sure if he's still there.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I imagine the scene... The prisoner comes to Pickton and tells him "Nothing personal, man, I don't hate you." And then proceeds to attack him with the broomstick. Just joking. A prison is a violent place by nature, so these things can and will happen. Now we just need to see Paul Bernardo also have an accident of that nature. He used to be in Port-Cartier also, but I'm not sure if he's still there.
Paul Bernardo and Lucca Rocco Magnotta both were transfered to a medium security facility. I learned that recently (when Magnotta was transferred)
Post automatically merged:

Speaking of Magnotta, I found it really disappointing when he was declared guilty of first degree murder (by the way, it was around the same time that Guy Turcotte was declared not guilty due to mental troubles for the murder of his two childs)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Paul Bernardo and Lucca Rocco Magnotta both were transfered to a medium security facility. I learned that recently (when Magnotta was transferred)
Oh? In a medium security prison, the prisoners are less watched, so there's still hope for that Paul Bernardo's accident.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh? In a medium security prison, the prisoners are less watched, so there's still hope for that Paul Bernardo's accident.
more or less... prisonners who are prone to do these "accident" are mostly in high security facilities

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
more or less... prisonners who are prone to do these "accident" are mostly in high security facilities
I'm not talking about murdering the guy, but just a good beating like your video. If there are regular fights in a typical high school, I'm sure there are also regular fights in a medium security prison.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not talking about murdering the guy, but just a good beating like your video. If there are regular fights in a typical high school, I'm sure there are also regular fights in a medium security prison.
Do you remember what Paul Bernardo did for getting incarcerated? And i'm not only talking about what he was charged for. I'm talking about the whole story.
Let me summarize it : he was a guru, the kind of crazy man who could still sell ice cube to esquimos.
So, if he's in a medium security facility, i'm pretty sure he has a few followers there

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am pretty mad that he was allowed to live to 74
Well, at least, he spent about 25 years in prison before dying painfully. I'd say he got what he deserved
Edit : yes, he was allowed for parole since february of this year
Edit2: i don't know what he looked like at 74, but this is what he looked like over 30 years ago

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you remember what Paul Bernardo did for getting incarcerated? And i'm not only talking about what he was charged for. I'm talking about the whole story.
Let me summarize it : he was a guru, the kind of crazy man who could still sell ice cube to esquimos.
So, if he's in a medium security facility, i'm pretty sure he has a few followers there
Never heard about Bernardo being a guru. Where did you read that? Unless you're confusing with another criminal, but probably not since Bernardo and his crimes are very well known in Canada.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never heard about Bernardo being a guru. Where did you read that? Unless you're confusing with another criminal, but probably not since Bernardo and his crimes are very well known in Canada.
Maybe, i mean Karla Homolka was not the first woman to fall under his charm, that for sure.
But since there are no woman in this facility... :creep:
I don't know if he was that "guru-esque" with men

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, at least, he spent about 25 years in prison before dying painfully. I'd say he got what he deserved
Edit : yes, he was allowed for parole since february of this year
Edit2: i don't know what he looked like at 74, but this is what he looked like over 30 years ago
I am mad someone didn’t take him out sooner, ngl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: please send halp