ROM Hack Ripping Sound Effects from 999: 9 hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Eternity-Box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm really interested in ripping the sound effects from the game 999: 9 hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, I adore the game and have scoured the internet for hours but I can't find anything more than just the games soundtrack anywhere and I'd really like the sound effect files.

I'm a admittedly a bumbling fool with all of this I've managed to use kiwi to extract all the sound effects from the .nds file itself but they're all in .se format and I'm far from intelligent enough to do anything with a code editor, I was wondering if someone knows of a program or of a place where the sound sfx are for download? Or if someone could explain in laymans terms a way I could go about trying to do it myself. I'm willing to paypal someone if they can convert them for me, I'm getting a bit desperate trying to find a way to get them. I'm also very new here, please let me know if that's not allowed, I just really need some help with this :,,).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Paid requests tend to be frowned upon.

Anyway the vast vast majority of DS games use the SDAT sound format for which there are loads of tools. Any sound effects usually being in the SWAV format which may be contained in the SWAR archive but games can vary there a bit. Any number of tools will extract them just fine (vgmtrans, the humble ndssndext, vmgtoolbox probably somewhere in there... SWAV is basically just a raw wave file with a few bits tacked on in most cases so it is not even like the midi type music where SSEQ needs helper sounds and a player).

Some games will mix it up ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ is my thread I have to note various ones) but I had not heard this game was different, which I would like to think I would have but at the same time I could see it being custom.

If you only want a rip you do also have the traditional line in (think aux cord into your PC) and emulator rip methods (record a loop back with audacity or something and slice accordingly). If there is a sound test in the game then fantastic, if note then depending upon how many effects there are you can find a place with no music (or mute the music somehow, can include simply turning the volume down in the music itself which I have done for a few things, if in an emulator then the audio channels option various emulators have might be useful here to disable the ones playing music -- the DS has 16 general purpose channels so some might be dedicated to music playback) and do the various effects. If some effects are rare in game or something then assuming cheats won't see you get there and many chances to grab it then you can also try overwriting files -- if you find the files then overwriting might not need any knowledge of the formats within as overwriting amounts to copy-paste-rename and rebuild ROM.

Reactions: Eternity-Box

Eternity-Box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for all your advice but the files aren't in the .sdat format they're all in .se and I can't seem to find any programs that can even read the .se files let alone convert them to something. Is there a way I can go about converting them?

Sorry for doing something considered improper that wasn't my intention at all, I'm just very unknowledgeable and am not really sure where to turn with this.

Paid requests tend to be frowned upon.

Anyway the vast vast majority of DS games use the SDAT sound format for which there are loads of tools. Any sound effects usually being in the SWAV format which may be contained in the SWAR archive but games can vary there a bit. Any number of tools will extract them just fine (vgmtrans, the humble ndssndext, vmgtoolbox probably somewhere in there... SWAV is basically just a raw wave file with a few bits tacked on in most cases so it is not even like the midi type music where SSEQ needs helper sounds and a player).

Some games will mix it up is my thread I have to note various ones) but I had not heard this game was different, which I would like to think I would have but at the same time I could see it being custom.

If you only want a rip you do also have the traditional line in (think aux cord into your PC) and emulator rip methods (record a loop back with audacity or something and slice accordingly). If there is a sound test in the game then fantastic, if note then depending upon how many effects there are you can find a place with no music (or mute the music somehow, can include simply turning the volume down in the music itself which I have done for a few things, if in an emulator then the audio channels option various emulators have might be useful here to disable the ones playing music -- the DS has 16 general purpose channels so some might be dedicated to music playback) and do the various effects. If some effects are rare in game or something then assuming cheats won't see you get there and many chances to grab it then you can also try overwriting files -- if you find the files then overwriting might not need any knowledge of the formats within as overwriting amounts to copy-paste-rename and rebuild ROM.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Paid things are fine in many things but when money changes hands it tends to be when lawyers perk up.

Anyway looking through the thread I linked on alt formats then I had seen some with .se before and I don't think anything got much further. To that end loop back ripping from an emulator is probably going to be the order of the day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: