Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors - Could not read data

pudowski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,
I'm completly new and inexperienced in everything related to DS piracy and hacking and homebrew and etc.
I have an R4 flashcard which seems to work perfectly with many games, but trying to run Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors in it results in an error message saying "No Data - Could not read data. Please turn the power off and reinsert the Game Card". I've tried doing those things, deleting the newly created save file and trying again, downloading a save file from the internet to see if it'll load. Is there something I'm missing?

Reactions: SylverReZ

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
If you're on a Nintendo 3DS system with homebrew, try setting up and using TWiLightMenu++. If you're on a DS/DS Lite, check the SD card you're using with your flashcart and make sure it isn't going bad by using H2TestW (note: works best when the card is freshly formatted, so back up your roms!)
Also, check if the card you're using is known to have issues with some games like 9H9P9D.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
TWiLight Menu++ can pretty much patch games with AP measures.
Well, yeah, but I only suggested TWLM++ because of its general high compatibility and also just being better than a flashcart in most cases.
(also OP, if you're on a DSi, TWLM++ IS an option, but I don't have a DSi myself so I'm not able to help with DSi homebrew. Yet.)

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Tech Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, yeah, but I only suggested TWLM++ because of its general high compatibility and also just being better than a flashcart in most cases.
I prefer that way as well, since most of the flashcards now have a timebomb in the kernel, and that it lacks some features.

pudowski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@pudowski The game has anti-piracy measures that prevent you from playing it on flashcards because of the way they work. Download an AP-fixed version from somewhere, can't provide links though.
I found an AP fix here on GBAtemp in the downloads section but it says it 'fixes the freeze in the first puzzle', which is not the problem I'm having, but I'll try it regardless! I'll update here to report the results.
If you're on a Nintendo 3DS system with homebrew, try setting up and using TWiLightMenu++. If you're on a DS/DS Lite, check the SD card you're using with your flashcart and make sure it isn't going bad by using H2TestW (note: works best when the card is freshly formatted, so back up your roms!)
Also, check if the card you're using is known to have issues with some games like 9H9P9D.
I'm on a DS Lite, I'd think my SD card is doing okay because all other games seem to be running fine? But I'll try that later too anyway. I searched on some more forums and I saw some people talking about updating the R4 flashcart firmware, which I have no idea how to do but could try, even though I don't know how to fix it. Based on what shows up on the screen, I think i'm on version 1.17.
I do have a 3DS system as well but it isn't homebrewed, but if I can't get this game running through my DS Lite I might end up researching it and giving it a try.

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found an AP fix here on GBAtemp in the downloads section but it says it 'fixes the freeze in the first puzzle', which is not the problem I'm having, but I'll try it regardless! I'll update here to report the results.
Okay. If not then TWiLight Menu++ will be your second option.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

I'm on a DS Lite, I'd think my SD card is doing okay because all other games seem to be running fine? But I'll try that later too anyway. I searched on some more forums and I saw some people talking about updating the R4 flashcart firmware, which I have no idea how to do but could try, even though I don't know how to fix it. Based on what shows up on the screen, I think i'm on version 1.17.
I do have a 3DS system as well but it isn't homebrewed, but if I can't get this game running through my DS Lite I might end up researching it and giving it a try.
Installing B9S and Luma should be easy with your 3DS, especially since you have a flashcart, since you might be able to use it to perform NTRBoot.

pudowski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Update: I downloaded the patched version and it by itself did not work.
I went ahead and tried updating the R4 firmware/kernel/files idk just in case and now it seems to be working!
Sorry for disappointing you, homebrew enthusiasts, but in the future I'll definetly keep these informations in mind and thank you for the help.

SylverReZ

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update: I downloaded the patched version and it by itself did not work.
I went ahead and tried updating the R4 firmware/kernel/files idk just in case and now it seems to be working!
Sorry for disappointing you, homebrew enthusiasts, but in the future I'll definetly keep these informations in mind and thank you for the help.
No problem. Welcome to GBAtemp. :hrth:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over