Ripping DS ROMs audio

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Fefo, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    Hi, could someone help me ripping the music for SMT Strange Journey?

ndssndext can only rip game sfx (in WAV format). This thead http://gbatemp.net/threads/rip-music-from-nds-roms.287081/ offers 2 other tools, but vgmtrans couldn't do it (or I'm dumb and don't know how to use it) and vgmtoolbox is overkill to my noobness.

Thanks.

2. Auryn

Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    I always wonder why some people want to do things that are useless :wacko:

Is THIS not good enough??

3. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    No.

I'm looking SPECIFICALLY for the MIDI, not the music.

4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    For getting the Midi, VGMTrans is what you want for most games.

5. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

Sure? When I tried to use vgmtrans I only got 4 "samples", which where sfx, and at least ndssndext gave me all of then. Can you help me?

6. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Don't have the game, so I don't know, but if that's the case, it might not have an SDAT file. What format does it use?

7. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

Sorry, too noob to answer that. What is "format" and how can I confirm it?

8. Kippykip

Kippykip D E L E T T H I S

Mar 30, 2013
    There are some midi Nintendo music at:
    http://vgmusic.com

Just be aware that not every song is there

fefocbento likes this.
  9. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Unpack the contents of the ROM using DSBuff or DS Lazy or something similar. Look around for something that appears to be labeled sound, or music, or something ending in sdat.

10. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    Snd folder: lots of .adx, with suggestive names as BMG_BTL_LASTBOSS (lol), some .mods files and a sound_data.sdat. What do you suggest?

11. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil

Oops, thank you, this site is bookmarked on my browser :). Still, it only has fan-made MIDIs. Good, but not enough.

12. Auryn

Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    adx are sounds (Criware to be more exact)
    mods are the movies (not way to view or edit or rip them from my knowledge and are coded in the Moby clip encoder)
    sdat are sounds again.

If my memory isn't wrong, only sdat can contain midi (for what ever reason you want them) so it's possible there are only 4 sound in midi version and the rest is on the adx.
    The suggestive titles don't tell you if there is the music you want??
    Anyway, adXtract is a tool to extract adx and if you really want midi, search online for converters to midi.

By the way, you didn't mention "midi" anywhere in your first post / title

fefocbento likes this.
  13. Mirby

Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    That One Place
    I remember when I ripped the Radiant Historia soundtrack that there was nothing in the .sdat and yet... everything else was individual .adx files

actually there wasn't even an .sdat on that, it was just one file with everything and then the .adx files

seeing as both are atlus releases, i'm sure that SMT: Strange Journey is similar in its internal makeup.

fefocbento likes this.
  14. Fefo
    OP

Fefo GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Brazil
    I specified latter, sorry.

Anyway, do you know how to use adXtract? a simple drag & drop like ndssndext only generates a originalfilename0001.adx

Edit: Found some DS sound tools in this blog (portuguese, pretty straightforward) http://alizor.wordpress.com/category/nds/ to convert adx to wav. Not exactly what I want, but good enough.

Thanks for everyone who helped. If anyone has more good info to share, I'm eager to know.

Edit2: Learned to use VGMtrans, but couldn't extract everything at once, which is really a problem for games like Pokémon, with thousands of songs.

Also, found the heavy discussion (on GBAtemp) and documentation of everything about DS sounds. :mellow:
    Still, I didn't know simple details like .sdat files holding all sound data, so it would only cause more confusion.