Hardware Reviewing my Ivy Bridge Build

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Building a new computer using Ivy Bridge.
Budget £500

CPU: i5 3570K £170.58
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 £76.52
GPU: MSI HD 6770 1GB £71.60
RAM: 2x4GB Corsiar XMS3 1333 £37.92
PSU: Antek VP450P 450W £30.54
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 6Gbs 500GB £56.38
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 V2 £16.45
Total = £469.58​
The HDD could be better, but I didn't want to spend more.​
GPU will to upgraded at end of year.​
Is the ram overkill? I'm not too sure.​
I already have a case and DVD writer.​
Any suggestions?​

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Sounds pretty complete to me.

8GB of RAM is pretty much the standard these days. 3GB minimum, 4GB for normal operation, and 8GB for future-proofing. 12+GB if you want to use a RAMdrive.

Only suggestion... Get a legit copy of Windows :)

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can get a legit copy of vista from my father, so that's no issue.
No really point buying win 7, 80% of the time vista is just as good provided you have the correct drivers

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I can get a legit copy of vista from my father, so that's no issue.
No really point buying win 7, 80% of the time vista is just as good provided you have the correct drivers
Er, uh, I hope your father isn't paying for Vista. This deal only sounds worthwhile if someone is paying your father to take copies of Vista away
And, not to be rude, but I disagree with originality. There is literally no disadvantage for the user in using a cracked copy of windows, as long as the right activator is used

Reactions: 2 people

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beyond the legit vs non-legit debate (even though, for my 2 cents I would never trust an acquired copy of windows), sticking with Vista is just plain silly. Windows 7 outperforms it in almost all areas and has a much better UI.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vista... is slow, sluggish, and crashes alot.
Even a cracked Windows 7 on the place where people go arrgh is better

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vista... is slow, sluggish, and crashes alot.
Even a cracked Windows 7 on ... is better
This. My Windows box crashed 5 times in that many days running Vista, and 0 times in that same period of time running 7. This is with a clean install.
Also, edit out the torrent website.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I only suggested legit Windows to show that there's nothing else I can really suggest. I personally won't judge anyone whether they use legit or cracked Windows since I've been using cracked Windows all my life up to Vista. 7 is the only version I've bought (twice) because as a student at the time I got it for $30/£30.

And I've never had any problems with Vista. Sure, 7 is better, but I never had the problems others have had with Vista.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I started working where I work, they moved everyone over to Vista 60+ computers. It worked fine at first, but given the large amount of people, weird things started happening especially with a lot of the software they use are either made by the people I work for or non-commercial ones. I was looking through the trouble tickets and weird bizarre things Vista would do. With 60+ people all the same software (different hardware) you would expect some consistency. Not only that, but the ones that did manage to not have many problems, their start up would take forever after a year. I don't know how long they endured vista for (it was before my time) but when I got there, everyone who didn't have a new computer was reverted back to Vista. For about a year now, all of our Windows 7 ready computers were changed from XP to 7 and have had nothing like what I have seen for Vista.

But you are only one person, there is always some chance what you do will suffice.

D

Deleted User

I only suggested legit Windows to show that there's nothing else I can really suggest. I personally won't judge anyone whether they use legit or cracked Windows since I've been using cracked Windows all my life up to Vista. 7 is the only version I've bought (twice) because as a student at the time I got it for $30/£30.

And I've never had any problems with Vista. Sure, 7 is better, but I never had the problems others have had with Vista.
Sure you do, the fact you use it means your computer is using more resources than it should be.

OP, replace the CPU with a 2500k and get a better graphics card, a 6870 will be much better.
A 3570K is not an upgrade over a 2500k in the gaming world.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/38421-intel-core-i5-3570k-22nm-ivy-bridge/?page=7

Also, Pick a better PSU, 450W is kind of low.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Sure you do, the fact you use it means your computer is using more resources than it should be.

OP, replace the CPU with a 2500k and get a better graphics card, a 6870 will be much better.
A 3570K is not an upgrade over a 2500k in the gaming world.

http://hexus.net/tec...-bridge/?page=7

Also, Pick a better PSU, 450W is kind of low.
2500k is basically the cost effective god of processors for gaming and otherwise. Awesome processor.

itchigo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ur build is good all u need is a better powersupply.
im also upgrading my pc, here the lists of my new setup:

Case: Rosewill Thor V2 White Edition
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO
CPU: Intel I5 3570K
RAM: G Skill 8gb DDR3 1600
GPU: Powercolor Radeon hd 7970
SSD: 120 GB
HDD: 1TB 7200 rpm and 2TB 5900 rpm
Powersupply: Rosewill 1000 Watt
Cooler: XSPC Rosa 750 RS240 Universal Water Cooling kit
Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6

I'll upload a video when i'm done with my build.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think getting a higher quality PSU is better that getting a higher wattage PSU. That PSU can run the system fine for now, if necessary it can be updated later.
I heeded the advice here and went with the 2500K. I also switch my motherboard to a Gigabyte Z77-DH3 for better OSx86 support.
Thanks for the help

NOTE: As I previously mentioned, I rarely use windows, so Vista should suffice. But worst comes to worst, Windows 7 is only an hour away ;)
NOTE2: Your PSU is overpowered. 1000W PSU's are for workstations, not gaming rigs.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Let's not even start on that bullshit.
psychic stalker said:
We don't need to rehash this. We've been over it eighty goddamn times this year and I'm sick of it repeatedly coming up.

Vista doesn't "use more resources." It takes advantage of otherwise-unused resources, the way every other OS besides Windows has been doing for decades. Vista doesn't "use more memory," it allows system caching to use more available memory resources, which gets instantly evicted when more free memory is required; which other operating systems have been doing for decades - it's called a "cache." Vista doesn't "waste video resources," it takes advantage of 3D hardware that for the last several years has otherwise gone completely unused. The redesigned sound and video driver subsystems is a long-overdue overhaul that should have been done in XP. The new UAC protection is also long overdue, and is something that every other OS has been doing for decades.

And this is a good thing.

Please stop making mountains of mole-hills.

BTW, Windows 7 does the same fucking thing and you don't see people bitching about it (because it's not called "vista").

D

Deleted User

Windows 7 has better memory usage, faster loading time, better overall program optimization's, better compatibility with software/hardware, better gaming performance, protection, stability etc..

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You waited because whether or not you are going to use the Ivy bridge processors, prices for Sandybridge are going to drop.

So you either get the new processor or get a cheaper price for what you would have paid a few months ago (which is usually true in electronics regardless if something comes out)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 has better memory usage
What's the matter, never checked the damn requirements? Vista states 512MB-1GB, 7 states 1GB-2GB... and 7 and does the same preloading of programs as Vista (which is why people ran Vista, saw the RAM usage numbers climbing compared to XP, and started freaking out without knowing what the fuck was going on).

faster loading time
Yes, thankfully that's one improvement they made.

better overall program optimization's, better compatibility with software/hardware,
This has shit to do with the OS and all to do with the programs being run. This is often thought of because at the time that Vista came out, programmers were still being LAZY AS FUCK (well, they're still lazy as fuck now, but they were even worse back then), and a large number of them were NOT programming for compatibility with XP. (Outside of drivers) things written FOR XP should work on Vista out of the box.

And things that were written FOR XP did.

The problem is most programmers were not writing for XP. They were writing 9x code that happened to run on XP due to XP being backwards-compatible with the methods being used. Microsoft has been posting warnings for YEARS about deprecated program methods, but people were still writing shit code (writes directly to program files, doesn't use appdata, assumes admin) because it still ran on XP.

Well, then Vista came out, and the companies realized they actually needed to update their coding practices for shit to work on it.
That took a while, so by the time 7 came out, the fixed versions of the programs had been realeased.
You can go out and take the same programs people said wouldn't run on Vista, and find the latest versions run on Vista now because they've actually been updated.

As for hardware support; that's due to drivers, that's a third-party thing, and that follows the same timeline (though even harsher, as between NT5 and NT6 the models for some things like video changed, so old drivers neededs a rewrite from the start).

better gaming performance
Less than 2% difference.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2864/14

protection
On what grounds?
And yes, this is a serious question and I expect a serious response with proof, no anecdotal evidence. Issues of computer security are very serious and I will NOT tolerate any bullshitting around on that topic.

stability etc..
Bullshit, state proof.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted User

resourceusagexpvistawinio9.jpg

7 uses less resources.

As for protection, Windows 7 has a lot better stock protection than Vista, And that matters for people who dont know how to use a computer properly, in my case its true, Windows 7 has better protection Vs windows vista, I guess my only source right now is
http://www.techradar...15167?artc_pg=3

Also, In terms of gaming, 2% is 2% is 2%, Its an increase in any way to see fit, so my point is still valid,

In terms of stability, That's more of a personal thing, While using 7, I have never had a BSOD,Crash, Or OS freeze, ever.

During my vista years, Ive had many a month, and that wasn't due to fault of hardware, I can assure you.

Windows 7 runs faster, takes up less memory when in stock, and boots faster than Vista, that alone is worth an upgrade, not only that, but has better future support in the long run.

Edit: Not only that, But 7 has a slew of new handy features over vista, and just overall feels better

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
resourceusagexpvistawinio9.jpg

7 uses less resources.
Can I get a source for that? Lik, one showing the actual tests run and all that jazz.

As for protection, Windows 7 has a lot better stock protection than Vista, And that matters for people who dont know how to use a computer properly, in my case its true, Windows 7 has better protection Vs windows vista, I guess my only source right now is
http://www.techradar...15167?artc_pg=3
The only difference that article states is in the customization of UAC, but the issue is that turning the setting lower is LESS secure as it allows more things to happen without your consent.

Also, In terms of gaming, 2% is 2% is 2%, Its an increase in any way to see fit, so my point is still valid,
Grasping at straws, much? I mean, that's the same kind of attitude as trying to sell somebody insurance for a plane falling out of the sky and onto their house, because it does have a chance of happening. :P

In the cases tested, the difference was less than 2FPS. If your games are at the point where that's an issue, the problem is in hardware, not software. If the difference was more (say, ~10FPS at 60FPS base which is about 15%) then yeah there'd be a problem, but it's not nearly to that level.

In terms of stability, That's more of a personal thing, While using 7, I have never had a BSOD,Crash, Or OS freeze, ever.
I'm not talking personal experience, that has no play in this. This thread is not about you, it's about suggestions for the OP, and if you're going to be making accusations you should have proof.

During my vista years, Ive had many a month, and that wasn't due to fault of hardware, I can assure you.
Any way you can toss me the dump logs (C:\Windows\Minidump\) so I can see what caused it?

If not, that's anecdotal.

Windows 7 runs faster
As said, 2% in gaming. The only noticeable difference was in NAS performance, and that's been addressed since the test was run.

takes up less memory when in stock
Excuse me, but I already covered that piece of bullshit and I'm going to have to ask you to not repeat it.

and boots faster than Vista, that alone is worth an upgrade
Up to the OP if they care or not (as many people leave their machines running for days or weeks at a time so differences may not even come into play).

not only that, but has better future support in the long run.
Agreed, but if the build here is temporary and within the lifecycle that doesn't matter.

Edit: Not only that, But 7 has a slew of new handy features over vista, and just overall feels better
Personal opinion, up to the OP to decide.

I think you have the wrong point. I'm not saying that Vista is better.

I'm just trying to bash the bullshit that's been posted. If you post bullshit (that is, factually inforerect things), I will call you on it.

EDIT: I R RYDIAN, I CAN FINISH MAH SENTENCES.
After I edit...

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...