Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAME 2009 uses the v0.135u4 ROM set. You can usually find the corresponding version numbers in the info files for each core.

Also, wasn't 2010 on the Wii U at some point?

I figured out the MAME version, but good luck finding it. Clearly no one gives enough of a crap about v0.135u4 or the corresponding Retroarch core to host it.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out the MAME version, but good luck finding it. Clearly no one gives enough of a crap about v0.135u4 or the corresponding Retroarch core to host it.
It's actually pretty easy to build if you have a more recent MAME set and the MAME Rollback ROMs set. You'll need to familiarize yourself with Clrmamepro and DAT files but it's worth taking the time to do that anyway.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually pretty easy to build if you have a more recent MAME set and the MAME Rollback ROMs set. You'll need to familiarize yourself with Clrmamepro and DAT files but it's worth taking the time to do that anyway.

I've been meaning to learn how to use Clrmamepro, but I probably won't put in the time in this instance as I have GPD Win Max on the way which is going to pretty much kill my use cases for the Wii U. It would be cool if someone built the set and hosted it, or figured out if MAME_2010 could make it's back onto Wii U.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game is weird in that it uses the rarely used 512 x 256 (I think?) or 512 x 224, etc mode, why it does that in this case is anyone's guess. Weird.
According to a source, it runs in horizontal high res mode for graphics in the foreground. (512x224) It's only applied horizontally and supposed to cause a interlacing effect, and only does this for transparent objects in the foreground. Some rooms do and don't have this feature. :blink:

upload_2020-8-20_21-56-53.png

It would look like proper see through on a tv with composite or RF cable on a tv. (Similar to Sonic the hedgehog Green Hill Zone waterfall) :ninja:

Reactions: uhhh_adam

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to a source, it runs in horizontal high res mode for graphics in the foreground. (512x224) It's only applied horizontally and supposed to cause a interlacing effect, and only does this for transparent objects in the foreground. Some rooms do and don't have this feature. :blink:

View attachment 222262

It would look like proper see through on a tv with composite or RF cable on a tv. (Similar to Sonic the hedgehog Green Hill Zone waterfall) :ninja:

Some emulators and FPGA consoles have a way to "blend" that dithering effect to make it look natural AFAIK

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took some notes on the issues present in the past few versions.

ROM load times: 2-3 seconds
All users control menu: OK
Wii U Pro Controller: OK

ROM load times: 5-6 seconds
All users control menu: N/A

ROM load times: 7-8 seconds
Wii U Pro Controller: Doesn't seem to work

Test ROMs were Super Mario World (SNES9x - Current) and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis Plus GX). RGUI menu, no info/assets folders, no playlists, clean installs. The longer load times were pretty consistent starting with 1.8.9. Hopefully, as ShadowOne333 suggested, this is something that can be addressed.

Also, FCEUMM has problems in 1.8.8 (controls don't seem to work) but the other NES cores are fine.

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.menteinsanabfs.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Passing here just to give the tip for those who want to use HD in retroarch and is in the formatting made by Wii u: ("storage_USB:/" formatted by wii u)

1 - All changes must be made by the retroarch, editing the .cfg file will not work
2 - I use SSD and it is very fast, even in USB mode
3 - I used FTPu Everywhere, it had 22 GB of games, it takes time, but it works. You can use fuse-wiiu, but as I use arch linux I couldn't use it so I used FTP
4 - Use version 1.8.9
5 - Change your playlist to the current version, you can convert using the Marc Robledo website
6 - The only file I was unable to change and I don't think it is retroarch.cfg, which must be on the SD card
7 - If you use overlay, don't forget to manually change the .cfg files, and all other files that have no connection with retroarch.cfg

I think that's it, if anyone had more tips, put it there :)

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Passing here just to give the tip for those who want to use HD in retroarch and is in the formatting made by Wii u: ("storage_USB:/" formatted by wii u)

1 - All changes must be made by the retroarch, editing the .cfg file will not work
2 - I use SSD and it is very fast, even in USB mode
3 - I used FTPu Everywhere, it had 22 GB of games, it takes time, but it works. You can use fuse-wiiu, but as I use arch linux I couldn't use it so I used FTP
4 - Use version 1.8.9
5 - Change your playlist to the current version, you can convert using the Marc Robledo website
6 - The only file I was unable to change and I don't think it is retroarch.cfg, which must be on the SD card
7 - If you use overlay, don't forget to manually change the .cfg files, and all other files that have no connection with retroarch.cfg

I think that's it, if anyone had more tips, put it there :)
Hi mate. Was there any improvement regarding HDD speed?

Last time I checked the version implemented by @jacobsson it worked fine but still slower than SD card. And we had long discussion with @Lia and members about the matter.

If we take a big rom for a benchmark like street fighter III 3rd strike (sfiii3n), with no assets/info/media folders:
-loading from SD: about 15 seconds
-loading from HDD: more than 30 seconds.

So unless team has worked on the matter, I think still loading from SD card in general is almost twice as fast as loading from HDD.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: willianholtz

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi mate. Was there any improvement regarding HDD speed?

Last time I checked the version implemented by @jacobsson it worked fine but still slower than SD card. And we had long discussion with @Lia and members about the matter.

If we take a big rom for a benchmark like street fighter III 3rd strike (sfiiin), with no assets/info/media folders:
-loading from SD: about 15 seconds
-loading from HDD: more than 30 seconds.

So unless team has worked on the matter, I think still loading from SD card in general is almost twice as fast as loading from HDD.

I always used it in SD, I didn't know the retroarch could already be used in HD. I am using, as I said, an SSD formatted by wiiu itself, and not as fat32. And at least for me, it has improved 100%, although some bigger games still take time, because I believe it depends a lot on the processing of the wii u and not on the speed of the SSD. I'm still making some adjustments, to leave it 100% on the SSD, I want to see if I make a short video as soon as it's ready!

Reactions: depaul

Zrecer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!

Is it possible to enable all controllers/users to navigate menu in version 1.9?

I don't see the option anywhere but i know it's there in previous versions.

Reactions: uhhh_adam

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I took some notes on the issues present in the past few versions.

ROM load times: 2-3 seconds
All users control menu: OK

ROM load times: 5-6 seconds

ROM load times: 7-8 seconds
Wii U Pro Controller: Doesn't seem to work

Test ROMs were Super Mario World (SNES9x - Current) and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis Plus GX). RGUI menu, no info/assets folders, no playlists, clean installs. The longer load times were pretty consistent starting with 1.8.9. Hopefully, as ShadowOne333 suggested, this is something that can be addressed.

Also, FCEUMM has problems in 1.8.8 (controls don't seem to work) but the other NES cores are fine.

Just so you guys know, I still had version 1.8.5 nightly (2020-04-25) this morning and did some tests with a few games (snes,genesis) and the same setup as yours and the load times are even shorter than version 1.8.8. It's less than one second!
Then I tried 1.8.8 and got 1-2 seconds average.
It took average 12-14 seconds to load a core in version 1.8.5. and 16-18 seconds in 1.8.8.
So if 1.8.8 didn't improve in stability over 1.8.5 then I'd say the latter is still the best version on wiiu.

*edit: I'm actually trying 1.9.0 and despite the missing features it loads roms pretty quick (1 sec at the most) with default setup; changing menu to rgui doesn't seem to make a difference. Also loading cores is considerably quicker as well; it took about 6sec to load snes/genesis cores.

Last edited by september796,
Reactions: depaul

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
From which version is the storage_usb directory already listed? I jumped from version 1.7.7 to 1.8.9, I'm a little confused. With the project of transferring all files to the SSD and consequently getting more speed, I didn't update one by one to see which version the devs made RA see this directory. Because I'm sure, older versions are much faster (and some cores, more stable).

obs: storage_ubs is the USB formatted by wiiu

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

since the builbot is finally repaired, yesterday, I decided to try the latest nightly version of scummVM, in order to have the working touchpad.

Everything works great (except the downgraded audio render, even on old games like Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, with bad MIDI quality, lag, etc.) but the default behavior is really strange (compared to the Switch, Android or 3DS build) : I have to maintain the stylus for at least 500ms before it "clicks" (even on scummVM menus). Which is really disturbing in order to play point and click games (which scummVM is all about).

Touchpad is really unplayable ! Is there any way to change this, so touching the screen will "click" immediately ?

ps : I even tried version 1.7.1, the latest official revision where touchpad was working : same behavior...

Concerning the loading speed with scummVM Wii U : I tried 32GB and 128GB sdcard, with different cluster size (4, 16, 32, 64) : it takes ages to load, it takes ages to run any game. When using rgui (and removing ALL other themes), disabling all fancy options (widgets, notifications, etc.), game loading is almost perfect, but initial load of scummVM is really bad (between 20 and 30 seconds of black screen). 1.7.1 with XMB is much better (initial loading : ~10 seconds)

Too bad Wii U version is not officially supported, latest Wii version works much better (as Wii U is more powerful than Wii, it should work at least the same, or even better than Wii version !)

On Switch, initial loading, or loading a game : < 1 sec (with the same microSD as Wii U !)
On Wii everything is smooth (even Monkey Island 3 or Broken Sword fmv intros)

I can't tell the same on Wii U.

:(

Last edited by Badablek,

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
since the builbot is finally repaired, yesterday, I decided to try the latest nightly version of scummVM, in order to have the working touchpad.

Does this port still do the thing where when you try to add new games, the Wii U hard locks?

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does this port still do the thing where when you try to add new games, the Wii U hard locks?

crash dump on nightly build too (from august 22) when trying to add games. I think this core is not meant to be used outside of retroarch. A game launched with retroarch seems to be used as an argument when launching the core. But if you launch the core alone, scummVM seems "confused" when reading SDCard

DSI: Instr at 0D56E95C bad read from unmapped memory at...

Last edited by Badablek,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Honestly a great Eminem song.