Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
RA does have PROPER PIXEL SHADER SUPPORT.
If you want the precompiled pack google for filthy pants blog.

That said the GPU is quite weak but yeah it can do some basic shaders just fine.
I don't think any recent changes are prone to be WiiU breaking anyway.

The biggest issues I see on WiiU are:
- Slow I/O, asset downloads is terrible, and so is the core updater, also scanning, not sure this is something RA can fix directly.
- Stutter while starting with retroachievements because of the issue mentioned above (downloading achievement badges is not properly threaded I think)
- No resolution changing support (I'd like to be able to switch to 480p when using the gamepad, and to my TV res when using the TV so scanlines look better)
- Netplay doesn't work properly with relay enabled

I think that's it?
(dynarec bounty doesn't count, cores are a different thing)

The reason Wii port is in such a sorry state (if that's even true, I no longer have a Wii so I haven't tried) is because someone made some improvements and never really bothered with bringing them back upstream (which is the reason the improvements are not really there in the first place). Recently Wiimpathy has added quite a few fixes and RGUI has gotten a lot better so it should be fine.

Just for those who haven't seen this:

upload_2019-3-5_12-6-34.png upload_2019-3-5_12-7-2.png upload_2019-3-5_12-9-42.png

Last edited by Radius4,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No the shaders aren't copyrighted.
The tools required to compile them are
Have you tried contacting @QuarkTheAwesome, @Maschell or @rw-r-r_0644 ?
They are the ones that are working on Wii U stuff at the moment, maybe they have some sort of insight or perhaps a method to compile the RetroArch shaders without relying on the SDK.

Reactions: depaul

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RA does have PROPER PIXEL SHADER SUPPORT.
If you want the precompiled pack google for filthy pants blog.

I wouldn't say it is proper if it requires to be recompiled from official SDK tools.
That said quarky has plans to move RA WiiU to WUT toolchain as soon as WUT is ready for WiiU homebrew developement, which will result on proper pixel shader support w/o copyright'ed SDK.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No the shaders aren't copyrighted.
The tools required to compile them are

So we can thank Nintendo for making what should be legal, a royal pain in the ass to do to compile shaders. It's not like they even care about Wii U anymore.

Edit: I'm mostly hoping the WUT toolchain will allow for RA to not crash so much on Wii U.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

rw-r-r_0644

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Shaders can be compiled without any kind of copyrighted tool (it's what we did for SDL and other tests), although it's quite a complex solution right now.
First the gl shaders have to be compiled into amd r6xx/r7xx assembly, which can be done using AMD's ShaderAnalyzer, then they can be assembled to gsh shaders using latte-assembler from decaf-emu. Unfortunately the output of ShaderAnalyzer is not perfect (needs some opcode changes), and lacks many informations about the shader (position of uniform variables, attributes, other shader settings) which have to be added in manually.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Radius4 maybe this can give an insight on how to compile them without the SDK:
Shaders can be compiled without any kind of copyrighted tool (it's what we did for SDL and other tests), although it's quite a complex solution right now.
First the gl shaders have to be compiled into amd r6xx/r7xx assembly, which can be done using AMD's ShaderAnalyzer, then they can be assembled to gsh shaders using latte-assembler from decaf-emu. Unfortunately the output of ShaderAnalyzer is not perfect (needs some opcode changes), and lacks many informations about the shader (position of uniform variables, attributes, other shader settings) which have to be added in manually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT