Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

krueger96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Before i forget, yesterday i was playing Snatcher (NTSC-U) for the mega cd on RA's genesis plus core with the nes mini crt scanlines filter on. The game did run, and the scanlines filter looked really good with the default parameters, not too artificial, however if you use fast forwarding the console will crash sometimes. So while they're working, it appears retroarch wii u itself needs some updates to be able to use them without side effects. Also, a couple of them like the meta crt slow down the console to an unplayable level. Oh well, maybe the next stable release will have some performance improvements

Reactions: marcof

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Then maybe ask the Libretro guys on Twitter..?
Blame Nintendo's shitty tools for not allowing shaders to be made in another way.

For fucks sake Man, as good as retroarch is, it wasn't supposed to be released on WiiU oficially so there's no need for Nintendo to make it so Shaders can be used on it without the WiiU compile.

Reactions: niuus

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe I spent months trying to get Wiisxr to even run thinking either a.) It was shit and didn't work at all or b.) The proper setup for it is a classified top military secret.

As it turns out the answer was so stupid I banged my head against the wall for an hour. The games I was trying to play only work using interpreter.

WiiSX is probably dead in the water, and that's what makes this disappointing. I had such high hopes for seeing the dynarec that simias was working on on BountySource, but then it seemed to all but cease, so IDK what to make of it. The idea was getting Beetle PSX to get dynarec, and from there, ported over to Wii U. It's pretty evident that there is zero interest in the Wii U scene, it's deader then Elvis.

Oh bummer... I was wishing we could get N64 on Wii U retroarch someday.:(

Yup, never gonna happen since the Switch diverted almost all devs. I mean, hell, even the PS vita has more of active developers than Wii U has right now, and that's saying something. "But it's portable" is not enough of excuse to just drop support like a lead ball. All faith, gone, never getting back.

absolute bullshit it is

Before i forget, yesterday i was playing Snatcher (NTSC-U) for the mega cd on RA's genesis plus core with the nes mini crt scanlines filter on. The game did run, and the scanlines filter looked really good with the default parameters, not too artificial, however if you use fast forwarding the console will crash sometimes. So while they're working, it appears retroarch wii u itself needs some updates to be able to use them without side effects. Also, a couple of them like the meta crt slow down the console to an unplayable level. Oh well, maybe the next stable release will have some performance improvements

Provided the Wii U will still get releases.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: dragon12

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well this thread seems to be a real bummer lol.

PPC seems to be quite a pain to code for to get RetroArch on the Wii U seems like Assembly Code exclusively for the Console the best hope is the source for those already done for the Wii or GC and try to improve things from there or complete rewrite which seems not an option for the Developers since X86 or ARM is the way to go.

RetroArch on PC and Tablet Devices so why even bother with Wii U , that seems to be the Attitude and thats not just RetroArch quite simply so much effort is involved and no one seems to believe it worth it , cant blame also cant blame the fact that Wii U Fanbase wants to delve deeper into the Console me included I would love N64 and SEGA Consoles on the Wii U.

Possible! But who cares unless Money maybe motivation but I guess that what the Bounty System is for.

Question to GC/Wii/WiiU Developers do you need a Dev Kit is it a must essential? or can you Debug etc without one through PC and WiiU? I would like to get into Coding myself and well I imagine with a DevKit it would be the way to go but damn they expensive and not to mention Rare. What about one of the last Apple PPC MACs would they be beneficial to writing apps for Wii U?

Last edited by CORE,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this thread seems to be a real bummer lol.

PPC seems to be quite a pain to code for to get RetroArch on the Wii U seems like Assembly Code exclusively for the Console the best hope is the source for those already done for the Wii or GC and try to improve things from there or complete rewrite which seems not an option for the Developers since X86 or ARM is the way to go.

RetroArch on PC and Tablet Devices so why even bother with Wii U , that seems to be the Attitude and thats not just RetroArch quite simply so much effort is involved and no one seems to believe it worth it , cant blame also cant blame the fact that Wii U Fanbase wants to delve deeper into the Console me included I would love N64 and SEGA Consoles on the Wii U.

Possible! But who cares unless Money maybe motivation but I guess that what the Bounty System is for.

Question to GC/Wii/WiiU Developers do you need a Dev Kit is it a must essential? or can you Debug etc without one through PC and WiiU? I would like to get into Coding myself and well I imagine with a DevKit it would be the way to go but damn they expensive and not to mention Rare. What about one of the last Apple PPC MACs would they be beneficial to writing apps for Wii U?

What pisses me off, is that were were really close, dynarec was well into development and could have been ported over once it was completed for Beetle PSX. Would it have taken months? Yes, but it still could have been done.

What an effing disappointment indeed. It's akin to swimming halfway across a lake, getting too tired and swimming back.

Reactions: CORE
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey again!
We've talked about the dynarec before, it's got nothing to do with the Wii U at this point since we're waiting on a PC version to get built. The person working on that appears to take big breaks (see May-August) but has otherwise been working at a few commits per month for a solid year.
As for the Wii U, RetroArch has been left to sit for a bit because it more or less works and a lot of the issues with it depend on scene/toolchain things (HBL, shaders, toolchains, filesystem access etc). I can't speak for others, but personally I've been putting my time into those areas. I've put together fling to make distributing development tools easy and reliable, worked on tutorials and documentation for writing things on the system, and co-authored an SDL2 port which has been pulling Switch homebrew back onto the Wii U - including major things like the homebrew appstore, which now has full Wii U support. Plenty of others have been contributing too - rw did half (if not more) of the SDL2 work, vgmoose ported hb-appstore completely on their own, CreeperMario has been making little contributions left, right and centre, exjam has been steadily improving wut (this commit fixed windows/msys2 support, that's on its way to fling and tutorials!) and a slew of other people have been doing their own thing, including a few with big plans that they aren't ready to share yet. There's also interest from new devs - even when I wasn't working on tutorials they were getting maybe 2 stars on GitHub a week, and now that I am there's a good two or three people this month who actively started asking for info and updates on them.
Look, I get it. It can be hard to see what's happening and what progress is or isn't being made. I wish we had a better way to communicate between devs and users; because what I can see and what you can see are really, really different. All I can ask is for you to please bear with us, and to take a critical look at the wider scene before you let yourself make conclusions.

(I'd really like to hear anyone's ideas on the communications front. My first thought would be some kind of news website that is open to writing about the less exciting scene activity - new feature X, new release Y, development progress on Z, etc. That does require someone to put in a lot of time to keep up with us devs and to write down what's going on... This thread probably isn't the place to talk about it though. If you're interested or have ideas, I hang on on the 4TU discord, or DMs, or tag me somewhere, or whatever. 4TU has some decent resources, so we could make something happen)

D

Deleted User

I get pissed off everytime I see someone post saying it's dead, because they are dead wrong. There are several people still working on and maintaining homebrew on Wii U.

Nintendont MMmod was last updated in December, Oman is working on Reverse, and there's that alternative server for banned users still in early develpment.

Specifically on Retro's end I noticed the Beetlepsx core has been added in rpx format a few months back, though I've not tested it myself.

I'd love to see the Wii U improve from its current state, and I'll try to pitch in with what I can. (Which will probably be just helping newcomers avoid my noob mistakes, lol)

Being the first home console I've installed CFW on and having only used PSP and 3DS's prior, I will say this, it is intimidating and messy at first glance.

Last edited by ,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
@QuarkTheAwesome Well your post has turned that frown upside down for sure it nice to see the Wii U scene aint dead thank you for the links in your post seems quite a lot is indeed going on for Wii U.:yaywii::yayu::D
I get pissed off everytime I see someone post saying it's dead, because they are dead wrong. There are several people still working on and maintaining homebrew on Wii U.

Nintendont MMmod was last updated in December, Oman is working on Reverse, and there's that alternative server for banned users still in early develpment.

Specifically on Retro's end I noticed the Beetlepsx core has been added in rpx format a few months back, though I've not tested it myself.

I'd love to see the Wii U improve from its current state, and I'll try to pitch in with what I can. (Which will probably be just helping newcomers avoid my noob mistakes, lol)

Being the first home console I've installed CFW on and having only used PSP and 3DS's prior, I will say this, it is intimidating and messy at first glance.

Let's be honest, there's only ONE person here spreading negativity and speaking about it as if it is the end of the world.

Let the developers speak, for Iwata's sake.

Reactions: VinsCool and niuus

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's admittedly hard to see that news when Switch hacking news tends to bury/overshadow Wii U homebrew related news.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
It's admittedly hard to see that news when Switch hacking news tends to bury/overshadow Wii U homebrew related news.

Just take in account that not only is Switch infinitely more popular than the WiiU, it's also way easier to develó with. It’s a matter of patience, that's it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just take in account that not only is Switch infinitely more popular than the WiiU, it's also way easier to develó with. It’s a matter of patience, that's it.

Am I wrong though? A lot of the Wii U related threads get buried from Switch, how on earth are people supposed to follow the things that get released on Wii U? I hate to say be blasphemous, but I have way more interest in Wii U homebrew than I do Switch. I'm glad devs are still working behind the scenes. I personally couldn't care less about Switch homebrew if I'm going to be brutally honest.

Sounds like RetroArch is getting some nice improvements in the near future after all, so yeah.

Edit: It's really hard to follow one scene when another overtakes it with a crapload of news.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

Deleted User

It's really hard to follow one scene when another overtakes it with a crapload of news.

It's actually not that hard when you a.) Don't own a Switch and b.) Don't follow any of it's development.

Don't forget there's also WiiU Shell, a long awaited file manager for the WiiU, which is a back-port of NXShell for the Switch:
https://github.com/rw-r-r-0644/WiiU-Shell

When 3D Shell became a thing I remember a few people on Discord saying this would never happen.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's actually not that hard when you a.) Don't own a Switch and b.) Don't follow any of it's development.

When 3D Shell became a thing I remember a few people on Discord saying this would never happen.

Actually, it is, when 90% of the threads on the front page and newsfeed are Switch related, so...

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've just bought a wiiu and a tv, for me the potential is huge, i'm fan of emus, and for me it could be the perfect combo for retro microcomputers (ST and amiga first), wiimote for pointing and virtual keyboard on gamepad, but maybe i just dreaming.

And so many emus i'm trying to learn through RA. Nintendont, that i've to understand vwii ecosystem, YouTube and Netflix, but support can be dropped not so late i think, except if Netflix Wiiu, is in some way Switch dependent.

Overhaul a device that worth it in this beginning of 2019, and cheap enough to collect for it.

Thanks devs for all the work and passion !!

Edit : And it's the last main machine with PPC inside, it's sentimental or what...

Last edited by jul16ares,
Reactions: Garcimak and CORE
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Actually, it is, when 90% of the threads on the front page and newsfeed are Switch related, so...
I don't remember how I did it, but it is totally possible to have GBATemp only show what's truly important.
jc4t.png

Still, I know I don't post my new stuff to GBATemp and I know a lot of the other devs don't either. As I mentioned, there's definitely a communications problem... Been working through some ideas, as usual I'm open to other things.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember how I did it, but it is totally possible to have GBATemp only show what's truly important.
jc4t.png

Still, I know I don't post my new stuff to GBATemp and I know a lot of the other devs don't either. As I mentioned, there's definitely a communications problem... Been working through some ideas, as usual I'm open to other things.

Damn, I'll take a look at my settings. I don't know what I can do to help though -_-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1