Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I'm not technically into it very much but as far as I understood it's not that big of a step to do to get N64 to work once we have dynarec things for PSX.

hmmm nah, that doesn't sound like it would be the case and even if the dynarec was easy to port into mupen you still have no hw renderer for GX2, wiiu can't handle angrylion.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I did some quick Googling, and while the PSX and N64 are both MIPS, the Nintendo 64 is, well, 64-bit. I'm not sure how similar the two archs are (ARM and ARM64 are totally different while PPC and PPC64 are basically identical) but at very least all the instruction encodings would be different, along with the actual translations (64bit math rather than 32, for example.)
64bit math would also have to be faked on ppc32, which is an... interesting task. The core problem is that ppc32 can't hold a single 64bit value, though it can do two 32bit ones.

No idea about graphics, that's not really my area.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I did some quick Googling, and while the PSX and N64 are both MIPS, the Nintendo 64 is, well, 64-bit. I'm not sure how similar the two archs are (ARM and ARM64 are totally different while PPC and PPC64 are basically identical) but at very least all the instruction encodings would be different, along with the actual translations (64bit math rather than 32, for example.)
64bit math would also have to be faked on ppc32, which is an... interesting task. The core problem is that ppc32 can't hold a single 64bit value, though it can do two 32bit ones.

like people said even without dynarec theres still a huge barrier just getting graphic plugins working since undocumented gx2.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right, the N64 does indeed have 64-bit MIPS CPU, but I don't think it actually ever used a 64-bit data precision but a faster 32-bit instead?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.video.nintendo/hiQuSJoNp-M/CJnemAtbdgEJ

Correct me if I'm wrong. Also there's been a lot of interesting activity on here
https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214#issuecomment-378774846

I'm curious how Nintendo programmed their N64 emulator on PPC architecture.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Since i'm into Ace Combat these days, i'm aching to play 2 and Electrosphere on my Gamepad (Yes, i know i'll have to wait quite a lot)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Two more things:

Dynarec bounty is now at 585 :)

Also, I noticed a new mame2003-plus in the nightlies.
Wantedto try it out, but stumbled into a few issues.

First off, the MAME playlist is completely gone, even though I only changed the name of the RPX to load the ROMs.
Secondly, I cannot load any MAME ROM manually because RA doesn't detect the new mame2003-plus core as an emulator for the ZIP files.

Don't what else to do at the moment, perhaps it's just a matter of adding proper detection for said core into RA

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two more things:

Dynarec bounty is now at 585 :)

Also, I noticed a new mame2003-plus in the nightlies.
Wantedto try it out, but stumbled into a few issues.

First off, the MAME playlist is completely gone, even though I only changed the name of the RPX to load the ROMs.
Secondly, I cannot load any MAME ROM manually because RA doesn't detect the new mame2003-plus core as an emulator for the ZIP files.

Don't what else to do at the moment, perhaps it's just a matter of adding proper detection for said core into RA
Same this side too, impossible to test :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also great news about the renewed push towards the PSX Dynarec, really interesting reading the comments in the Bountysource page (cant understand a word of it) but maybe good news for us in the long run :)

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Reduce the size/resolution of the thumbnails to around 300 px max in either width or height.

Nice idea, haven't thought of this. Photoshop processing will do. :)

Doesn't work. I already tried that way back (when they introduced the feature actually).
So unless they changed the way cover art displays I don't see it doing anything (if they did change it please, tell me so I can re-do the changes on my images)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool