Homebrew RetroArch Switch

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm aware but I'm trying to keep all my save files synced between devices.
At the end of the day all I want is something that emulates GBA games and can load .sav files on the Nintendo Switch.

Change the format I can do but I'm trying to see if I can make it easier in the long run, that and because it doesn't hurt to try.
If its just a GBA game the easiest way is just to use the switch. Theres no need to use the DS really. Even if you find something that uses the .sav file you still need to take the memory card out of the DS and switch (or use hekate). And copy the files over. Plus if your doing it all the time you might corrupt the memory card.

Renaming them isn't really much more work... and you can do it in batches. I'd probably think about leaving the Ds for DS games and moving everything over to the switch..... it'lll save ayou a world of pain.

PkStarzone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its just a GBA game the easiest way is just to use the switch. Theres no need to use the DS really. Even if you find something that uses the .sav file you still need to take the memory card out of the DS and switch (or use hekate). And copy the files over. Plus if your doing it all the time you might corrupt the memory card.

Renaming them isn't really much more work... and you can do it in batches. I'd probably think about leaving the Ds for DS games and moving everything over to the switch..... it'lll save ayou a world of pain.
I already thought of that, I wouldn't be asking if that's what I wanted to do.

I'm keeping all my files synchronized through this method. https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-eas...arch-saves-with-pc-and-3ds-and-mobile.591730/

I'm a portable player first, TV player second, I play my GBA games mainly in my DS Lite with no issues thought GBARunner2 and occasionally the M3 GBA Expansion, but sometimes I want to play them on my TV and the Switch is the way to go. I already have other ROMS's files synchronized to my PC and my Switch through the method I linked, so all I have to do would be just drop my save files from my DS flashcard to my PC and open the program mentioned in my PC and then my Switch that takes less than a minute, extremely easy and I already have it all set up.

I understand the advice you are giving me but is not really what I am looking for.

Last edited by PkStarzone,

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already thought of that, I wouldn't be asking if that's what I wanted to do.

I'm keeping all my files synchronized through this method. https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-eas...arch-saves-with-pc-and-3ds-and-mobile.591730/

I'm a portable player first, TV player second, I play my GBA games mainly in my DS Lite with no issues thought GBARunner2 and occasionally the M3 GBA Expansion, but sometimes I want to play them on my TV and the Switch is the way to go. I already have other ROMS's files synchronized to my PC and my Switch through the method I linked, so all I have to do would be just drop my save files from my DS flashcard to my PC and open the program mentioned in my PC and then my Switch that takes less than a minute, extremely easy and I already have it all set up.

I understand the advice you are giving me but is not really what I am looking for.

There could be one last method to do this without swapping SD cards but you'd still need to rename the save file.

Back in the day... Some r4 cards had the feature to download games from your pc over wi-fi stored on a pc you'd sync a folder. I didn't use it much but it worked. It was slow but saves are small files so should work well. If you have one of those r4 cards you could sync the same folder with Google drive (which you can also sync with tinfoil).

You could also create a 2 batch files on your PC. One to rename *.srn *.sav (or copy) and one the other way around.

Basically if you wanted to play a game on your switch you'd download the save then put it back via Google drive.

I'm not sure how practical it is🤔. You'd need your pc on lan unless you can use ddns? But I'm actually kind of curious if that could work. I'm also not 100% the R4 had the feature to upload although it could download.

The only other downside is you'd need to keep the r4 on the latest fw or you'd get the timebomb error. I use hacked fw that doesn't have the timebomb error (I think most people do on a Ds). The only thing is I lost the ability to use wi-fi with the hacked fw. I'm also not 100% the r4's with wifi can upload (but they could download).

Apologies if this isn't what your looking for (I think I've probably ran away with your idea). Oh and Google r4 wood or r4i wood if you want the hacked fw for your r4 it covers nearly all models. Or goggle YS menu. You may already use it but the timebomb is a real pain in the ****.

Last edited by Kallim,

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
After many months without coming with PPSSPP the latest build of RetroArch for the Switch appears to once again have the core bundle to it. As to why it took a long hiatus and how much work has been put into it since I have no idea.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't normally use my switch for RA because it was a nightmare compared to other platforms.

But last night I updated my RA then noticed I have no input support, even in the config is set to switch, the joycons do not work.

The only way I can navigate is via touch screen.

Has anyone else had this problem, why would it auto change from using joycons as its input to touchscreen (i am the only person using the switch, and I practically never use RA because its a pain in the a$$).

Not sure if there are any pre made builds for the switch with skins and covers ect.

Tho would be cool to see a pre build for android if any exist so my Sony Google TV can be like these android boxes you see.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Don't normally use my switch for RA because it was a nightmare compared to other platforms.

But last night I updated my RA then noticed I have no input support, even in the config is set to switch, the joycons do not work.

The only way I can navigate is via touch screen.

Has anyone else had this problem, why would it auto change from using joycons as its input to touchscreen (i am the only person using the switch, and I practically never use RA because its a pain in the a$$).

Not sure if there are any pre made builds for the switch with skins and covers ect.

Tho would be cool to see a pre build for android if any exist so my Sony Google TV can be like these android boxes you see.
I've had this issue a long time ago. It was a pain. I didn't understand how to reset the controller config, so I redid my install from scratch. I have no idea if I changed anything or how.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this issue a long time ago. It was a pain. I didn't understand how to reset the controller config, so I redid my install from scratch. I have no idea if I changed anything or how.
Ive deleted it and did a new install and i guess it kept files there because it does the same still.

Tho now if I dont hold R when launching a game to then boot RA atmos will give a purple crash screen.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ive deleted it and did a new install and i guess it kept files there because it does the same still.

Tho now if I dont hold R when launching a game to then boot RA atmos will give a purple crash screen.
That's really strange. I have no idea what's going on with your setup. Sounds like the issue is bigger than a cfg file.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really strange. I have no idea what's going on with your setup. Sounds like the issue is bigger than a cfg file.
Thanks, got it working by deleting the mupen config file, no idea why it would stop RA from letting me navigate when its not been touched since updating RA.

Anyway, updating cores and assets ect and I see dolphin listed, I wouldn't have thought the switch would be capable of emulating GC/Wii as it struggles to run its own games unless they're dumbed down.

Reactions: tabzer

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help with netplay. Ok I recall time I used netplay on the switch but now I just get disconnected as soon as I connect. I’m testing it out with my wiiu. The wiiu connects without a problem as player 1 while the switch doesn’t. When I try to connect to my wiiu in the lobby area it just connects to disconnect. Trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m using the same exact game and latest nes core.

Edit
Just got it to work, yesterday when I put down the switch ip it didn’t work, today it worked. I guess the port forward I setup last night with switch ip needed to be refreshed or something. Don’t know why direct connection from the netplay lobby which wasn’t appearing for the switch today wasn’t working. I thought I read that doesn’t require port forwarding. I’m using quicknes as core.

Edit
Now it’s not connecting. Not even seeing my switch in the lobby. After one day it doesn’t want to show.
Edit
Connecting again but only when I use my wiiu to connect to switch other than that I don’t know what’s going on. I did remove the ip I put on my router and that caused my my wiiu to connect to my switch and stay connected. Sadly I still need to type my switch ip to find it.

Last edited by fst312,

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What systems can RA on horizon can reality emulate? Beside old 8-16 bit stuff.
From. my experience and from the folder and settings i use:
  • 8-16 bit and old MAME stuff - Runs well without much tinkering or overclock.
  • Psx - Bios is needed for compatibility, some games require mild OC. (Read that Saturn is similar though there more compatibility issues with some games, haven't tried though)
  • N64 - Most games run perfectly though many will need OC to run well.
  • Dreamcast - Bios is needed for compatibility, runs most games pretty well. OC might be needed for higher resolutions.
  • Nintendo DS - Can't get it to run well even with OC and bios, tried MelonDS and DSMUME cores. You are better off using a standalone emulator.
  • PSP - Most games run well, OC will be needed for some and for higher resolutions, bios is recommended and also some games will need to be not-trimmed to work decently.
  • 3DS - Some games run at playable framerate with some hiccups (OoT, Majora's Mask), OC will be imperative pretty much for all games. What i noticed with my testing is that upping the resolution to 2x doesn't have much impact on the performance in some games, so for better clarity you can up the resolution on the quick menu on a per-game basis.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
From. my experience and from the folder and settings i use:
  • 8-16 bit and old MAME stuff - Runs well without much tinkering or overclock.
  • Psx - Bios is needed for compatibility, some games require mild OC. (Read that Saturn is similar though there more compatibility issues with some games, haven't tried though)
  • N64 - Most games run perfectly though many will need OC to run well.
  • Dreamcast - Bios is needed for compatibility, runs most games pretty well. OC might be needed for higher resolutions.
  • Nintendo DS - Can't get it to run well even with OC and bios, tried MelonDS and DSMUME cores. You are better off using a standalone emulator.
  • PSP - Most games run well, OC will be needed for some and for higher resolutions, bios is recommended and also some games will need to be not-trimmed to work decently.
  • 3DS - Some games run at playable framerate with some hiccups (OoT, Majora's Mask), OC will be imperative pretty much for all games. What i noticed with my testing is that upping the resolution to 2x doesn't have much impact on the performance in some games, so for better clarity you can up the resolution on the quick menu on a per-game basis.
The most definitive answer I was looking for, thanks.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help with sound, so I recently deleted my config and now I have no sound with netplay. This isn’t the first time I deleted my config but for whatever reason now I have no sound with netplay. The only thing I ever do when it comes to the config is setup controller inputs, so I know my config sound setup is whatever it’s set on.

Edit
Apparently on output I have to select audio latency (ms) which is set on 64. Once I press A I get sound while I’m on netplay. Right now it seems I always have to do that. Before I didn’t have to.

Last edited by fst312,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus