Homebrew RetroArch Switch

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That could work for some ROMs what are a file inside the zip, but for MAME ROMS, is not possible to uncompress it because the CORE search for zip files (or HD Images in other cases) but no the files inside the zip, most of them haven't extension.

I running NrallyX a lot but is a pain in the butt the start, takes 5 - 10 seconds to load, when in blank screen no button response, even the Home one.

Francesca

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
the best format for compressing disk games

what does this even mean?

Do people manually compress games themselves when they specifically want to play them on RetroArch?

I mostly try to emulate NES, SNES, Genesis. Some of the ROMs were downloaded back in the 00s and I haven't modified them since then. They still make me wait a really long for RetroArch to load the game.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people manually compress games themselves when they specifically want to play them on RetroArch?

I mostly try to emulate NES, SNES, Genesis. Some of the ROMs were downloaded back in the 00s and I haven't modified them since then. They still make me wait a really long for RetroArch to load the game.
I manually compress mine for emulating in general yes but you still keep refusing to answer the question about compression it really doesn't matter when you downloaded them that tells us nothing. hell you could be using a collection that has multiple versions of the same game in one zip

Last edited by deathblade200,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
They're in .nes, .smc, etc. instead of .zip formats right?
it doesn't even matter for nes/snes/gen and other super old consoles, if the core supports loading zips, it will and it won't take that longer than usual. I have zipped roms for n64, snes and gen and everything loads absolutely fine, maybe like 10-15% longer than usual, we are talking about mere seconds here, not minutes. So the op must have some problems with his sd or something else... Other than that, for more modern systems its better to use chd or some other compressed format like rvz for gc.

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't even matter for nes/snes/gen and other super old consoles, if the core supports loading zips, it will and it won't take that longer than usual. I have zipped roms for n64, snes and gen and everything loads absolutely fine, maybe like 10-15% longer than usual, we are talking about mere seconds here, not minutes. So the op must have some problems with his sd or something else... Other than that, for more modern systems its better to use chd or some other compressed format like rvz for gc.
Folks were asking them about zips and I was just trying to clarify that better to get it out of the way so that the greater issue could be addressed.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unless as I previously stated they are using a collection that has multiple different versions of a game in one zip which will take longer. or if they are trying to run bigger files from a zip file such as ps1 games which I've seen people do before

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
unless as I previously stated they are using a collection that has multiple different versions of a game in one zip which will take longer. or if they are trying to run bigger files from a zip file such as ps1 games which I've seen people do before
yeah, that's true, but he stated that he mainly emulated nes/snes/gen, so there's no reason for a 2 min. load times...even if its a zipped collection of diff versions of a rom.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that's true, but he stated that he mainly emulated nes/snes/gen, so there's no reason for a 2 min. load times...even if its a zipped collection of diff versions of a rom.
when you count bad dumps, revisions, and different regions all of which are typically in those collections it adds up and can in fact slow down the extraction time

BananaRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm trying to get the Retroarch Flycast working for the first time on my switch. I downloaded 1.10.3 RA, the bios and transferred it over to the /retroarch/cores/system/DC directory which contains the dc_boot.bin/dc_nvmem.bin. Tried loading several files zipped DC games I had and keep on getting "failed to load content", using the flycast core. Tried my zipped bomberman online, power stone, MvC. Is there another core I should be using/should I be putting the bios in a different place, or did I do something wrong there?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
So I'm trying to get the Retroarch Flycast working for the first time on my switch. I downloaded 1.10.3 RA, the bios and transferred it over to the /retroarch/cores/system/DC directory which contains the dc_boot.bin/dc_nvmem.bin. Tried loading several files zipped DC games I had and keep on getting "failed to load content", using the flycast core. Tried my zipped bomberman online, power stone, MvC. Is there another core I should be using/should I be putting the bios in a different place, or did I do something wrong there?
Try unzipping you roms and loading .gdi/.chd instead, also its worth trying to launch something on pc with the same bios/rom files to make sure your setup files are correct... Flycast is very easy to setup, and it works beautifully. You can also read about all the necessities for flycast core here - https://docs.libretro.com/library/flycast/

BananaRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try unzipping you roms and loading .gdi/.chd instead, also its worth trying to launch something on pc with the same bios/rom files to make sure your setup files are correct... Flycast is very easy to setup, and it works beautifully. You can also read about all the necessities for flycast core here -
Interesting loading from the unzipped GDI files works, thanks. The docs say it supports zip files but I can only get the games to load from the gdi files even on the PC. I swear this used to work at one point on PC since I played all these before on my PC years ago before setting up the switch.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Interesting loading from the unzipped GDI files works, thanks. The docs say it supports zip files but I can only get the games to load from the gdi files even on the PC. I swear this used to work at one point on PC since I played all these before on my PC years ago before setting up the switch.
Yeah, it says it should support zips, idk. Tho personally i only use zips with older systems like genesis/snes etc (if the core supports it). Its not recommended to use zipped files when launching roms with large file size. To compress gdi files, just simply convert them into chd, you'll save quite a lot of space and your roms will work perfectly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1