Homebrew RetroArch Switch

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble finding either version mentioned of System Shock 1. I have the enhanced version is that one that works? Do I need to mount it and install it then copy the files to my switch's sd card?

I'm also downloading System Shock (1996)(Electronic Arts)(M3)[budget CD-ROM Classics].iso. But I have no idea if it's one of the versions mentioned.

Found a third version systemshock_dos_win and it works. Do you need a real keyboard always plugged in to play it or can you assign all buttons to the joycon?

Last edited by ,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I have the wrong one when I run sshock.exe it says cannot run directly from cd. Run executable from hard drive. But I've tried all the other exes and they don't work.

n64n64n64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This pcsx core should implement dithering and a bunch of other stuff for unai:

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for all the amazing work.

Has anyone found a way to get mario 64 romhacks working on mupen plus next core? (mario64 last impact/ star road/smb64 etc).
Couldn't get any 64DD converted roms to work either, any special configs needed?

Last edited by n64n64n64,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Reactions: Bil

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm just gonna come in here and talk about my experience recently.

I updated my Atmosphere to 0.8.6, downloaded the most recent RetroArch Switch nightly, I guess 3-27-19, plopped it on my ExFat 64gb, booted up and ran Retroarch from the Homebrew Launcher after holding R on a title installed to SD (FF9) and booted up RetroArch. I'm assuming this has full RAM access as when I ran N64 games, they "ran". I just want Wetrix to work, it's a notoriously difficult game to emulate, so I tried first using Mupen64Plus, which took around 30-45 seconds to go from blackscreen to in-game images. Performance was terrible, after freezing and choppyness on the main menu, I was able to start a game, but it was completely unplayable, freezing constantly during gameplay, stuttering audio.

Closed the content through the RetroArch menu, then booted the game with the Mupen64Plus-Next core, and 30-40 seconds of blackscreen until the games splash screens started, this time loaded a little quicker to the main menu, and the main menu was slightly more useable. Upon starting a game, the game was slightly more playable, froze less under low stress conditions, but after about 5 mins of gameplay, became unplayable as the stuttering and freezing happened too often.

Closed the content and loaded Super Mario 64 using the Mupen64Plus-Next core, and about 20 seconds of blackscreen until Mario's head pops up, choppily and occasionally frozen, before becoming a little more smooth. Started a new game and watched the intro as it occasionally hiccuped, especially when Mario first appears out of the pipe, and for a short while after. Eventually, for a span of around 5-10 seconds, the game would seem to run fine, although every 5-10 seconds, a hiccup would occur and the screen would freeze for about 2-3 frames before returning to playable. Entering the castle and going to bob-omb battlefield, the hiccups remain constant. In the actual level, the hiccups also occur, like it was on time.

Closed the content, sad, and quit retroarch. Fire up FF9, but uh oh, the save data might be corrupt, need to check that. Oh, I guess the whole game is corrupt, oh, Horizon says the sd card is corrupt and wants me to format it.

Now windows says the SD card is dirty and won't let me write to it.

I'm familiar with the rhetoric surrounding ExFat here in this forum, and have had no problems using any/all homebrews up to this point. I'm not sure if I should entirely blame RetroArch, but I do, wholeheartedly.

I formatted the SD to FAT32 as some time in the future I will come back and take a look at the progress of this project, but right now, N64 just isn't up to snuff to be called "playable".

Now, that's just my experience this time. Previously I was unable to even boot n64 titles because of some RAM access stuff, but I'd like to just say that if I ever used this program wrong, I have no idea what I was supposed to do. There is no up to date guide on getting this running properly as far as I can tell.

It would be really nice to have the opening post updated when/if there are changes to the way you're supposed to be running this thing.

Why does the og Mupen64Plus core even exist? How come these dudes say n64 is running at 60fps, but when I run it, it's a total mess? I may never know.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'm familiar with the rhetoric surrounding ExFat here in this forum, and have had no problems using any/all homebrews up to this point. I'm not sure if I should entirely blame RetroArch, but I do, wholeheartedly"

So you take no blame yourself when you said you already knew that exfat can cause corruption? Wow.

Exfat has no benefits over Fat32 anymore. It can only cause issues with Fat32 can do everything including homebrew without corruption. The problem of games over 4 gb has been solved as well by usb install. There's no reason to be on Exfat in 2019.

Last edited by ,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate more on these core settings please?

Default settings work fine, 60 fps here. Are you sure you are using the latest mupen next dynarec from m4xw? This core is not part of the official retroarch nightly. So you have to download and copy it over yourself:

Same for dosbox dynarec core:

If you are not using these cores, yes, it will be unplayable slow.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Bil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• dithering - off.jpg
    dithering - off.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 117
  • dithering - on.jpg
    dithering - on.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 125

dormeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
‘I know literally everyone says not to use exfat, and there’s been long drawn out discussions of why many time but I did it anyway, now those problems have occurred and it someone else’s fault’

Crying :’) but seriously just start over. I keep a relatively up to date clone of my SD card on a hard drive just in case

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again @rsn8887, wetrix running well.

It's exactly what it was, crying. Just saying I've used hundreds of homebrews on exfat since homebrew launcher came out, wasn't til this app that I got a problem with exfat. Yall can blame exfat all you want, I'm still just gonna blame the one app that did it.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Has anyone been able to map the controls for Wolfenstein 3D through DosBox successfully?
I am struggling real hard to get it working.

Can someone please share their configuration file for the Wolf3D controls on DosBox?

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ShadowOne333 Under "Basics, You'll need:" "An SD card" should be changed to 'A Fat32 micro SD card' since RetroArch.com says "Do NOT use SD cards formatted with exFAT" when hovering over the Switch download.
That way, nobody can say they didn't know.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@ShadowOne333 Under "Basics, You'll need:" "An SD card" should be changed to 'A Fat32 micro SD card' since RetroArch.com says "Do NOT use SD cards formatted with exFAT" when hovering over the Switch download.
That way, nobody can say they didn't know.
But I was asking about Wolfenstein 3D controls through DosBox :unsure:

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks again @rsn8887, wetrix running well.

It's exactly what it was, crying. Just saying I've used hundreds of homebrews on exfat since homebrew launcher came out, wasn't til this app that I got a problem with exfat. Yall can blame exfat all you want, I'm still just gonna blame the one app that did it.

exfat corruption happens when the homebrew writes/reads from sd card and is interrupted doing so at the wrong time (say by leaving through home button).

retroarch consists of half a million files, has you reading rom files periodically and saves configs, save and sram files all the time. it's technically more likely to cause corruption because it does the thing that ultimately leads to corruption much more than most homebrew.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat corruption happens when the homebrew writes/reads from sd card and is interrupted doing so at the wrong time (say by leaving through home button).

retroarch consists of half a million files, has you reading rom files periodically and saves configs, save and sram files all the time. it's technically more likely to cause corruption because it does the thing that ultimately leads to corruption much more than most homebrew.

Man, I didn't want to beat the dead horse more. I don't know about other homebrews having this problem, but I know that RetroArch or RetroNX as it was before has had a lot of problems with Exfat. From what I remember happening, instead of addressing or trying to fix these problems with this program, the developers instead blamed Nintendo (seriously) and recommended that everyone who uses the program switch to Fat32. That's all it looks like to me. After using what has to be 100+ homebrew programs without issue and using home button to close stuff, I had never run into a single problem with corruption. I ran this program successfully a total of 1 time, and got a corrupt sd. Is it my fault? Because they said not to use exfat, I guess? What I think tho is that people aren't asking the right questions during the development of this program. I'd love some examples of other homebrews rekting exfat cards, as I haven't done any research there at all, but tbh can't remember anywhere else but this thread the issue being so prevalent.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man, I didn't want to beat the dead horse more. I don't know about other homebrews having this problem, but I know that RetroArch or RetroNX as it was before has had a lot of problems with Exfat. From what I remember happening, instead of addressing or trying to fix these problems with this program, the developers instead blamed Nintendo (seriously) and recommended that everyone who uses the program switch to Fat32. That's all it looks like to me. After using what has to be 100+ homebrew programs without issue and using home button to close stuff, I had never run into a single problem with corruption. I ran this program successfully a total of 1 time, and got a corrupt sd. Is it my fault? Because they said not to use exfat, I guess? What I think tho is that people aren't asking the right questions during the development of this program. I'd love some examples of other homebrews rekting exfat cards, as I haven't done any research there at all, but tbh can't remember anywhere else but this thread the issue being so prevalent.
See, that's why you are not a dev.

Reactions: landysmods

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, what tree?