Homebrew RetroArch Switch

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's all I can do, is assume. That and use the experience I've had. I used a program that corrupted my sd card, I'll assume it was that program until I get some evidence that suggests otherwise. It's all I can do.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
One instance of circumstantial evidence is not experience.

Also you use jump logic, oversimplifications, and accusations that can not be backed up.

Enough?

Here are some insights that might or might not be related to your experience. Savestate data can be rather big. As in several megabyte per file, meaning - saving takes time. Most other homebrew never gets close to that size on anything it saves. This has nothing to do with the switch version of retroarch, this is just the way some of the cores ('emulators') behave.

Now, in the past, people would hit save state, the hit home. And by hitting home - ANY homebrew software would literally force exit. If it was writing to the filesystem at that point you had your guaranteed corruption.

The dev just uses sytemcalls, to tell the system "save data to disk" the system does everything else (thats the Nintendo coded that part, part), the homebrew dev doesnt also write an operating system and how it interfaces with storage media just for the funzies.

In the past m4xw also implemented workarounds so that retroarch wouldnt force exit everytime an enthusuastic iPhone user ('i understand tech I grew up with me apps') hit the home button. So despite every other developer doing nothing, he actually tried to tackle the issue.

And the issue really is there because of what Nintendo provides. Had they written a better write implementation maybe even exfat would have been ok.

Are you responsible for reading that you need to be on fat32 and still trying to ignore it? Well, yes.

Logic. Its a wonderful thing.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: crazy_p

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Johnny doesn't pay attention in class and doesn't follow directions.

You were told it causes corruption. You were hardheaded and used it anyway. Who cares really if it's "retroarchs fault" or "exfats fault" The point is you did something you were told not to because you're stubborn and now you're upset that it did exactly what you were told it would to. Some people....

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's all I can do, is assume. That and use the experience I've had. I used a program that corrupted my sd card, I'll assume it was that program until I get some evidence that suggests otherwise. It's all I can do.
And you take a sugarpill and get healed of cancer...
See, RA for Switch has far over 10k users, ofc it will be very prevailent in this thread, given the sample size.
Only fix would be FS patches (for every firmware update every created, as well as future updates), a FS reimplementation, a system update by Nintendo, or ditching exfat altogether.

Reactions: landysmods

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you take a sugarpill and get healed of cancer...
See, RA for Switch has far over 10k users, ofc it will be very prevailent in this thread, given the sample size.
Only fix would be FS patches (for every firmware update every created, as well as future updates), a FS reimplementation, a system update by Nintendo, or ditching exfat altogether.

You mention 2 ways of fixing exfat support here?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought FS patching you mentioned would be like other "patches" for atmosphere.

And if it is, and RetroArch is the only program that needs it, I can understand why it's out of scope.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if at all the only way I can see exFat being fixed is by completely redoing and reimplementing the driver through Atmosphere in some sort of way.
That has nothing to do with RA though, it's all Ninty's fault, as it always is with their neanderthal bs. :tpi:

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Has anyone been able to map the controls for Wolfenstein 3D through DosBox successfully?
I am struggling real hard to get it working.

Can someone please share their configuration file for the Wolf3D controls on DosBox?
We don’t have options to map keys saddly, so you will need map everything to mouse, in Wolf case in game controller options: select mouse > set fire button > set action button

If you get stuck in the button map just keep moving to the right, it will leave the pistol cursor in the main menu.

It’s hardly optimal but at least gameplay isn’t affected

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not even a big deal, the switch to Fat32 was painless, and there are numerous ways to install larger files. I just came here to gain some more understanding. And from what I got, we're blaming Nintendo for their shit ExFat implementation, this shows up more often with a program like Retroarch as it is doing many SD activities. The solutions would be out of scope for the emulator. Thanks for wetrix.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
if at all the only way I can see exFat being fixed is by completely redoing and reimplementing the driver through Atmosphere in some sort of way.
That has nothing to do with RA though, it's all Ninty's fault, as it always is with their neanderthal bs. :tpi:

From our perspective it may be Neanderthal BS, but since it only affects HB users why should they care? People who never use HB never experience any corruption. Nintendo has no incentive to make things easier for us to use their systems “improperly”.

Reactions: Exclamation_Point

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We don’t have options to map keys saddly, so you will need map everything to mouse, in Wolf case in game controller options: select mouse > set fire button > set action button

If you get stuck in the button map just keep moving to the right, it will leave the pistol cursor in the main menu.

Ah that sucks :/
I can't seem to get the left analog to move the character, only the right one.
I tried playing around with the Joystick options, and somewhat got it to respond at one point, but upon reset it all went down to hell.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ah that sucks :/
I can't seem to get the left analog to move the character, only the right one.
I tried playing around with the Joystick options, and somewhat got it to respond at one point, but upon reset it all went down to hell.
Just switch both axes from the right stick to the left one. Under controller options in quick settings

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States

I'll do so, thanks bud! :D

You are wrong. Of course we have the option to remap keys.

First of all, use latest m4xw dosbox core:

Then, to remap keyboard keys easily:

- Quickmenu -> controls, set player 1 to "keyboard & mouse" on the top, go back one menu, go forward into quickmenu->controls again, and use the remapping options to remap user 1 inputs to any keyboard keys you want!

To do any remapping you want (keyboard, joystick, mouse):

Here's a useful trick to map everything in dosbox: analog dosbox joystick, dosbox keyboard keys and even the emulated dosbox mouse, all mapped to one Switch controller, as you wish:

- Go to Settings->input->User 2 binds
- set user 2 device index to Switch controller 1 (yes you read it correctly, this ensures that both user 1 and user 2 device are set to the SAME setting: Switch Controller 1!)
- Go to quickmenu->controls
- Set User 1 to Joystick
- Set User 2 to Keyboard & Mouse
- Turn off Analog to Digital for User 1
- Turn off Analog to Digital for User 2
- Go back one menu
- Go forward into quickmenu->controls again
- Now you can use the User 1 remaps to remap Emulated Mouse Buttons and axis, and Joystick buttons and axes
- And you can use the User 2 remaps to remap keyboard keys.

Since both user 1 AND user 2 are set to Switch controller 1, all these remaps are active at the same time on your Switch.

Just make sure to NOT map two things to the same button, e.g. user 1 button A to joystick button 1, and user 2 button A to keyboard return. This works, but now every time you press A in your game, you will simultaneously generate keyboard return and joystick fire button press.

Note the above trick also shows how to remap the emulated mouse from right stick & ZL/ZR to left stick and any buttons. It is a bit confusing because the emulated mouse remapping option in quickmenu->controls only appears for user 1, and only if user 1 is set to "Joystick" and emulated gamepad mouse is enabled in quickmenu->options.

Note: If you load content some of these settings will reset. So make sure you save your remapping using "Save core remap" or "Save game remap". Also, the settings->input->User 2 bind->User 2 device index setting will reset back to default everytime you load new content. So you will have to check settings->input to make sure it is set correctly. All this stuff should become easier once the core is officially in the buildbot.

Last edited by rsn8887,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to that DOSBOX, but it says User 1 Device Type Unknown, and I can't change it to anything else. I'm in Quick Menu > controls.

Edit: It might be because I updated to SX OS to 2.6.1 and holding R isn't doing anything when selecting a game to give me full RAM?

Last edited by ,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
You have to hold R while launching a game on your main Nintendo Switch menu, for example. I have Zelda BOTW installed. So I select Zelda BOTW, hold R, press A, and keep R pressed until the Homebrew Menu appears. From there I can launch Retroarch with full memory. I also use SX OS 2.6.1.

I think you have to load the dosbox core, and start the core. The core can be started either by selecting start core, or by selecting load content and choosing a .bat or .exe file. Once the core is started you can go to quickmenu->Controls and you should have the choices Gamepad, Joystick, Keyboard & Mouse. At first there will be a choice Retropad, but as soon as you change the option, Retropad doesn't appear again (I think it is a glitch).

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to hold R while launching a game on your main Nintendo Switch menu, for example. I have Zelda BOTW installed. So I select Zelda BOTW, hold R, press A, and keep R pressed until the Homebrew Menu appears. From there I can launch Retroarch with full memory. I also use SX OS 2.6.1.

I think you have to load the dosbox core, and start the core. The core can be started either by selecting start core, or by selecting load content and choosing a .bat or .exe file. Once the core is started you can go to quickmenu->Controls and you should have the choices Gamepad, Joystick, Keyboard & Mouse. At first there will be a choice Retropad, but as soon as you change the option, Retropad doesn't appear again (I think it is a glitch).

That's what I'm doing holding R while launching a game on the main menu. I've done it before on an older SX OS but on 2.6.1 it doesn't work. I don't know why. I've tried about 5 different games all are nsps installed to internal or sd card but I just hold R and the game just starts it doesn't go to the homebrew menu. My OFW is 6.1 and I've gotten to work before on this same firmware.

Even though it didn't work (but maybe it has to for the rest to work properly) I launched dosbox, then launched System Shock and it works. But I am unable to change my controls.

Last edited by ,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You are wrong. Of course we have the option to remap keys.

First of all, use latest m4xw dosbox core:
https://twitter.com/m4xwdev/status/1109891893096300544

Then, to remap keyboard keys easily:

- Quickmenu -> controls, set player 1 to "keyboard & mouse" on the top, go back one menu, go forward into quickmenu->controls again, and use the remapping options to remap user 1 inputs to any keyboard keys you want!

To do any remapping you want (keyboard, joystick, mouse):

Here's a useful trick to map everything in dosbox: analog dosbox joystick, dosbox keyboard keys and even the emulated dosbox mouse, all mapped to one Switch controller, as you wish:

- Go to Settings->input->User 2 binds
- set user 2 device index to Switch controller 1 (yes you read it correctly, this ensures that both user 1 and user 2 device are set to the SAME setting: Switch Controller 1!)
- Go to quickmenu->controls
- Set User 1 to Joystick
- Set User 2 to Keyboard & Mouse
- Turn off Analog to Digital for User 1
- Turn off Analog to Digital for User 2
- Go back one menu
- Go forward into quickmenu->controls again
- Now you can use the User 1 remaps to remap Emulated Mouse Buttons and axis, and Joystick buttons and axes
- And you can use the User 2 remaps to remap keyboard keys.

Since both user 1 AND user 2 are set to Switch controller 1, all these remaps are active at the same time on your Switch.

Just make sure to NOT map two things to the same button, e.g. user 1 button A to joystick button 1, and user 2 button A to keyboard return. This works, but now every time you press A in your game, you will simultaneously generate keyboard return and joystick fire button press.

Note the above trick also shows how to remap the emulated mouse from right stick & ZL/ZR to left stick and any buttons. It is a bit confusing because the emulated mouse remapping option in quickmenu->controls only appears for user 1, and only if user 1 is set to "Joystick" and emulated gamepad mouse is enabled in quickmenu->options.

Note: If you load content some of these settings will reset. So make sure you save your remapping using "Save core remap" or "Save game remap". Also, the settings->input->User 2 bind->User 2 device index setting will reset back to default everytime you load new content. So you will have to check settings->input to make sure it is set correctly. All this stuff should become easier once the core is officially in the buildbot.
I managed to map everything quite nicely with Keyboard+Mouse for Wolf3D :)
Only thing that I want to do is to be able to turn left/right by moving the Right analog stick, while I use the Left analog stick to move up/down and strafe left/right.
Is that possible? Something like mapping two keys to one controller input.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill