Homebrew RetroArch Switch

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try waiting a looong time on the black screen like several minutes, see if it comes up eventually. That is what I have been running into recently. Especially odd since I haven't updated any firmware or retroarch itself since this mess started.

MadManiac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,

i've tried Dosbox Pure on windows and must say that this would realy an improvement, if we had an dynarec port for switch.
No messing around with batch and config files, auto mount of cd images create zipfile for a game, onscreen keyboard, auto mapping keys and many other things that are nessecary on a console port.

Yes, the dosbox port works, but its nearly useless on a console.

I hope someone will do it.

onofrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

i've tried Dosbox Pure on windows and must say that this would realy an improvement, if we had an dynarec port for switch.
No messing around with batch and config files, auto mount of cd images create zipfile for a game, onscreen keyboard, auto mapping keys and many other things that are nessecary on a console port.

Yes, the dosbox port works, but its nearly useless on a console.

I hope someone will do it.
dosbox pure will be better for sure. But the current dosbox version is NOT useless.

Whalermouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing a GBA game on retroarch using the mGBA core. There is a save file in the .sps format that I would like to use with the game, how do I import it? It looks like retroarch uses files in the .srm format, is there a way to convert it somehow?

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing a GBA game on retroarch using the mGBA core. There is a save file in the .sps format that I would like to use with the game, how do I import it? It looks like retroarch uses files in the .srm format, is there a way to convert it somehow?

Have you tried just renaming the file extension from sps to srm?

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Have you tried just renaming the file extension from sps to srm?

This works. Just did it with Aria of Sorrow.

Reactions: mattyxarope

Whalermouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works. Just did it with Aria of Sorrow.

I'm trying to do this with Fire Emblem. I have a file from gamefaqs named "fire-emblem.7812.sps". I copy it to my Switch's SD card in the directory /retroarch/cores/savefiles and rename it to "Fire Emblem.srm". When I try to start Fire Emblem through the mGBA core, the save files are all blank and nothing is unlocked. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make Retroarch load a save file other than just copying it to the appropriate directory?

EDIT: I found a solution. I installed mGBA on my computer, then used "File > Import Gameshark save". From there, I took the .sav file that mGBA made from the .sps file I imported, renamed it to .srm, and then it worked with Retroarch. It's a little annoying that the switch ports of Retroarch and mGBA don't appear to have the ability to import Gameshark saves, but I managed to find a workaround.

Last edited by Whalermouse,

pootie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, I'm new to retroarch. Currently trying to run majora's mask n64, and I have my resolution set to 16:9, overclocked to 1785 MHz. It runs alright for the most part but I still have lag issues and lag spikes.. any ideas how to fix it to run smoothly? those are the only settings I've changed and I don't know where to find any other settings that might improve the game quality.. thank you

MadManiac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nothing is better than a real keyboard for emulating computers. It is far from useless when you use it the right way.

Yes, that's right. I'm using dosbox on pc for a long time. But the point is, we do not have a keyboard on a handheld or console. Sure, you can plug a keyboard to some devices, but for many people this isn't an option i think.

dosbox pure is the missing link here in my opinion. Maybe we see a port here in the near future.

Last edited by MadManiac,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, that's right. I'm using dosbox on pc for a long time. But the point is, we do not have a keyboard on a handheld or console. Sure, you can plug a keyboard to some devices, but for many people this isn't an option i think.

dosbox pure is the missing link here in my opinion. Maybe we see a port here in the near future.

You can connect keyboard on the switch dock, on WiiU, on Wii, even on original Xbox and probably other consoles. For handled mode on switch I agree with you, but for standard games you can map the Buttons quite fast, I finished all Alone in the dark games on it in handled mode :) but an easier solution such as dosbox pure is more than welcome :)

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

cobrettiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi all guys, I'm new to the forum, forgive me for my bad english. I would like to ask you a question, for example if I am on a megadrive-type playlist, when I press on close content, it takes me back to the main menu, is there a way to stay on the megadrive games list? Hoping I was clear, thank you for the advice.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I remember reading on libretros twitter over a year ago that the dynarec engine for Mupen64-Next was an amr32-bit dynarec ported over to use arm64 syscalls (Or something like that) but something about it not yet being optimized to take full advatage of the arm64 architecture. Has this situation changed or could we still squeeze out more performance from an updated recompiler?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters