Homebrew RetroArch Switch

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No nro2nsp makes forwarders that forwards them using both the core nro and the rom. You just put the game anywhere on your sd card like you would for retroarch, and use nro2nsp I made a tutorial in a thread I made about this https://gbatemp.net/threads/mind-if-i-show-off-for-a-second.529674/

You need nro2nsp https://gbatemp.net/threads/legal-nro2nsp-builder.519915/

You need your switch keys (you should have them if you've ever converted an xci to nsp) they go in resources, and you find an icon of the game on google and resize it to 256x256. (just right click the image on your computer and hit edit, hit resize, uncheck maintain aspect ratio, click pixels and put 256 for both horizontal and vertical, then save) It's a gui program you hit a button beside title id and it makes a random one, app name is the name you want to call the game, author doesn't matter but it needs something like retroarch or mame for example, click on import icon to load your image you got from google, then choose retroarch core forwarder, there'll be a drop down list you choose your emulator, beside rom path just figure out where your rom is and put in the path. (must be on the sd card, obviously) I just type it in manually like /switch/mame/roms/xmvssf.zip for example click compile and it'll make an nsp that you just install normally via tinfoil.

It will load the game and the core for you you don't do anything but click on the game like any other switch game.

It sounds more difficult than it is it's easy once you get in there and try it as long as you have your keys.

Last edited by ,

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome! Have you tried install Killer Instinct or KI2 yet? My switch is on 3.0.0. Idk if i can pull my switch keys on 3.0.0.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried those games, but it's the same compatibility as Retroarch. Like I said those are just forwarders for the games from Retroarch. So if it works on Retroarch you can do it, if it doesn't it won't work. It's just a program that points to the Retroarch core and rom for you and gives you a nice icon to put on your Switch menu. :)

About the keys I never had a Switch that low on firmware so I don't know. I'm sure someone else does.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: FanNintendo

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
inject those roms??

No nro2nsp makes forwarders that forwards them using both the core nro and the rom. You just put the game anywhere on your sd card like you would for retroarch, and use nro2nsp I made a tutorial in a thread I made about this https://gbatemp.net/threads/mind-if-i-show-off-for-a-second.529674/

You need nro2nsp https://gbatemp.net/threads/legal-nro2nsp-builder.519915/

You need your switch keys (you should have them if you've ever converted an xci to nsp) they go in resources, and you find an icon of the game on google and resize it to 256x256. (just right click the image on your computer and hit edit, hit resize, uncheck maintain aspect ratio, click pixels and put 256 for both horizontal and vertical, then save) It's a gui program you hit a button beside title id and it makes a random one, app name is the name you want to call the game, author doesn't matter but it needs something like retroarch or mame for example, click on import icon to load your image you got from google, then choose retroarch core forwarder, there'll be a drop down list you choose your emulator, beside rom path just figure out where your rom is and put in the path. (must be on the sd card, obviously) I just type it in manually like /switch/mame/roms/xmvssf.zip for example click compile and it'll make an nsp that you just install normally via tinfoil.

It will load the game and the core for you you don't do anything but click on the game like any other switch game.

It sounds more difficult than it is it's easy once you get in there and try it as long as you have your keys.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/generate-retroarch-nsp-forwarders-with-proper-icon-and-title.528775/

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is anyone else getting their collections corrupted?

I'm on the latest version of SXOS and the latest version of retro Arch.

MVIMG-20190205-020357.jpg

Also,

Has the issue prevented PSX games from being indexed been fixed?

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TotalJustice

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! I just grabbed the nsp off the main retroarch site so I figured it was official and supported.
It's only still there because if not people would cry I am excluding other fw's
I will update it for 1.7.6 - I am not gonna accept any bug reports using it tho.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update the retroarch nro. Then follow the steps in the link. This is the only supported method of loading RA.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmosphere-to-access-full-ram-with-homebrews-without-nsp.521240/
I know that we could use this method to utilize the installed RetroArch nsp (since it's actually an installed title) to launch the HBmenu with full ram access.
However I wonder if we can save one step and use that method to directly launch the retroarch.nro instead of the hbmenu.nro with full ram access. :P
Apart from saving one step it would also count as "played RetroArch" on our Switch profile page.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know that we could use this method to utilize the installed RetroArch nsp (since it's actually an installed title) to launch the HBmenu with full ram access.
However I wonder if we can save one step and use that method to directly launch the retroarch.nro instead of the hbmenu.nro with full ram access. :P
Apart from saving one step it would also count as "played RetroArch" on our Switch profile page.
Worth a try, when you're modifying atmosphere's loader.ini with the titleid, just change hbl_path to point to retroarch.nro as well.
There's some chance something might go wrong, when I set atmosphere to use title replacement over the hbloader nsp I already installed, it gave some weird error (so I made my own nsp with the same icon), but suck it and see I guess.
The downside to your plan would be you wouldn't have a way to run homebrew menu to load other homebrew, but if you're fully dedicated to retroarch then go for it :)

Last edited by hippy dave,
D

Deleted-351540

Its updated already btw
I prefer using the NSP over Atmosphere's redirect because it is easier. Not to be a nag, but any reason you aren't accepting bug reports using the NSP? It is legit the only NSP I have installed on my Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok