Homebrew [RetroArch] Nightly builds here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My file just says "Crash Bandicoot (USA)" but lists it as a CUE file and I can't change that. I got a data.bin.ecm file too. I'm sorry I'm so ignorant with this but I looked all over for a video tutorial or something.
on your PC you need to download a programme called unecm load it and place the ecm file in it it then converts it to a bin file then your bin will work

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Gardevoir7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on your PC you need to download a programme called unecm load it and place the ecm file in it it then converts it to a bin file then your bin will work

Ya I found that out eventually. It works now but at terrible FPS. But it works. So thanks everyone :D

Reactions: NekoMichi

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Well, we only have a finite amount of physical buttons we can map to (I'm not sure yet if we can have them start as unbound and then be bound, without things being hard-coded, I'm still new to the way RetroArch works, maybe @aliaspider knows). I guess we could replace escape with it, or something. Alternatively, opening the RetroArch menu should work for pausing (for now), until we figure out what to do. :P
No we can't, it's something I've been looking at so the list is built from the core not from retropad perspective but I haven't managed yet.
There are still inputs on the RetroPad which aren't mapped in fMSX though, whether or not those inputs are actually available on 3DS: the left and right analog sticks (New 3DS has both of these, of course, but here they'd really be used as a proxy for 8 additional buttons which the player can remap as needed). Obviously this isn't a sensible way for things to operate, but with current RetroArch limitations it seems like the most workable approach to getting more keys available to the player.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are still inputs on the RetroPad which aren't mapped in fMSX though, whether or not those inputs are actually available on 3DS: the left and right analog sticks (New 3DS has both of these, of course, but here they'd really be used as a proxy for 8 additional buttons which the player can remap as needed). Obviously this isn't a sensible way for things to operate, but with current RetroArch limitations it seems like the most workable approach to getting more keys available to the player.

That's true, I didn't really think about using analog sticks for buttons. I have no objections to doing that.

thebestdogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've tried 3 different emus from retroarch and none of them have worked. Different builds too. They show up in the homebrew launcher but give only black and red screens when opened. What's the deal?

Gardevoir7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've tried 3 different emus from retroarch and none of them have worked. Different builds too. They show up in the homebrew launcher but give only black and red screens when opened. What's the deal?

Which emulators did you use? Some don't work on a O3DS.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
You probably have the old boot.3dsx. Download the latest one from Smea's website and try again.

thebestdogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thebestdogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried to debug that SMAS bug but no luck, it keeps reading the joypads swapped for that game :/
on a side note, super mario RPG works correctly now in catsfc.
Looks like it does! I'm glad you said that. I wouldn't have known to try it otherwise.

(Although the framerate comes to an absolute crawl for the second cutscene with the outside of the castle. It picks back up to normal afterwards though. Looks like any kind of fading in and out, as well as battle transitions, really give the emulator a hard time, even as a .cia on a n3DS)

Last edited by ubergeek77,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
(Although the framerate comes to an absolute crawl for the second cutscene with the outside of the castle. It picks back up to normal afterwards though. Looks like any kind of fading in and out, as well as battle transitions, really give the emulator a hard time, even as a .cia on a n3DS)

I think some kind of bug has recently been introduced. I also have noticed strange pauses during 'transition' phases, such as when loading Mario Bros. 3 itself. It recovers to full speed right afterwards. It's almost like it's 'loading', except it can't be because the full game is loaded into RAM.

This is using an N3DS.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, i'll ask before trying anything else... How can i use the CPS1 core? It always locks my O3DS with the line [FBA] Cannot find driver

Do i need some kind of BIOS?

EDIT: also, got a black screen tryin to load Vampire Killer on jMSX. I'm not having a nice day today, damn

Last edited by Osakasan,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Ok, i'll ask before trying anything else... How can i use the CPS1 core? It always locks my O3DS with the line [FBA] Cannot find driver
No BIOS for CPS-1. This sounds like something that would happen if you tried to run a game which isn't for the CPS-1 at all. How are you finding and placing your ROMs? You mustn't rename the zips after *cough* obtaining them, and you do load the zips directly, don't decompress them at all. Could you give an example of a game you're trying that's not working?

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
No BIOS for CPS-1. This sounds like something that would happen if you tried to run a game which isn't for the CPS-1 at all. How are you finding and placing your ROMs? You mustn't rename the zips after *cough* obtaining them, and you do load the zips directly, don't decompress them at all. Could you give an example of a game you're trying that's not working?

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. Is it a CPS1 game or did a mess up? :$

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. Is it a CPS1 game or did a mess up? :$
Nope, that's right, Champion Edition is a CPS-1 game. Your zip file should be called sf2ce.zip. Arcade ROMs operate in sets of "parent" and "child" ROMs with particular archive names, so in this case "sf2ce.zip" is a parent ROM.

You need to have a parent ROM around to play any of its related child ROMs, so if you're trying to play, e.g. sf2ceua.zip, you'll need to have sf2ce.zip in the same directory unless you duplicate the ROMs from the parent in the child (this is highly uncommon, any source you're getting ROMs from probably provides them split into parent and child).

But the error you're getting doesn't sound like one relating to parent and child ROMs. I just tried running sf2ce.zip here (I lazily grabbed the latest MAME ROM, which seems fine, looks like the set is unchanged since the FBA build that's running on 3DS) and it works perfectly fine.

Reactions: kiwiis and Osakasan

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Here's a quick rundown and a remap file for anybody trying to play vertical WonderSwan/Color games. The WonderSwan family are a weird bunch. Similar to the Atari Lynx, some games are intended to be played by physically rotating the console in your hands, like so:

Uk5hpEt.png

For horizontal games (left picture), the bottom left inputs are your "d-pad" (these are buttons X1-X4), your face buttons are A/B over on the right there. The top left inputs (Y1-Y4) are mostly unused, but some more complex games will put things up there. The default button layout in RetroArch puts these on L1/L2/R1/R2.

When you're playing vertical games (right picture), all the inputs are rotated, so now your "d-pad" is the Y buttons, your face buttons are X1-X4, and A/B up the top are the generally-unused ones.

There are some games which expect you to rotate the console mid-game, the most prominent of these being Klonoa. These are probably not worth playing on RetroArch, as you'd have to go in and toggle your remaps constantly to play them. No good.

However, for the vast majority of games, you should be fine with either the default layout (horizontal games), or the following remap intended for vertical games:

Code:
input_player1_b = "10"
input_player1_y = "1"
input_player1_select = "2"
input_player1_start = "3"
input_player1_up = "9"
input_player1_down = "0"
input_player1_left = "1"
input_player1_right = "8"
input_player1_a = "11"
input_player1_x = "9"
input_player1_l = "6"
input_player1_r = "7"
input_player1_l2 = "5"
input_player1_r2 = "4"
input_player1_l3 = "14"
input_player1_r3 = "15"
input_player1_l_x = "0"
input_player1_l_y = "1"
input_player1_r_x = "2"
input_player1_r_y = "3"
input_player2_b = "0"
input_player2_y = "1"
input_player2_select = "2"
input_player2_start = "3"
input_player2_up = "4"
input_player2_down = "5"
input_player2_left = "6"
input_player2_right = "7"
input_player2_a = "8"
input_player2_x = "9"
input_player2_l = "10"
input_player2_r = "11"
input_player2_l2 = "12"
input_player2_r2 = "13"
input_player2_l3 = "14"
input_player2_r3 = "15"
input_player2_l_x = "0"
input_player2_l_y = "1"
input_player2_r_x = "2"
input_player2_r_y = "3"
input_player3_b = "0"
input_player3_y = "1"
input_player3_select = "2"
input_player3_start = "3"
input_player3_up = "4"
input_player3_down = "5"
input_player3_left = "6"
input_player3_right = "7"
input_player3_a = "8"
input_player3_x = "9"
input_player3_l = "10"
input_player3_r = "11"
input_player3_l2 = "12"
input_player3_r2 = "13"
input_player3_l3 = "14"
input_player3_r3 = "15"
input_player3_l_x = "0"
input_player3_l_y = "1"
input_player3_r_x = "2"
input_player3_r_y = "3"
input_player4_b = "0"
input_player4_y = "1"
input_player4_select = "2"
input_player4_start = "3"
input_player4_up = "4"
input_player4_down = "5"
input_player4_left = "6"
input_player4_right = "7"
input_player4_a = "8"
input_player4_x = "9"
input_player4_l = "10"
input_player4_r = "11"
input_player4_l2 = "12"
input_player4_r2 = "13"
input_player4_l3 = "14"
input_player4_r3 = "15"
input_player4_l_x = "0"
input_player4_l_y = "1"
input_player4_r_x = "2"
input_player4_r_y = "3"
input_player5_b = "0"
input_player5_y = "1"
input_player5_select = "2"
input_player5_start = "3"
input_player5_up = "4"
input_player5_down = "5"
input_player5_left = "6"
input_player5_right = "7"
input_player5_a = "8"
input_player5_x = "9"
input_player5_l = "10"
input_player5_r = "11"
input_player5_l2 = "12"
input_player5_r2 = "13"
input_player5_l3 = "14"
input_player5_r3 = "15"
input_player5_l_x = "0"
input_player5_l_y = "1"
input_player5_r_x = "2"
input_player5_r_y = "3"

The vertical layout works largely as you'd expect from looking at the picture on the right above. The D-Pad and ABXY buttons become the Y and X button-sets, and B/A are placed on L/R since there's not really anywhere else for them.

Keep in mind that screen rotation isn't currently working in the 3DS port, so you'll need to either physically rotate the 3DS, or play with the screen sideways (this sort of works for games like Judgment Silversword, you can play it like a horizontal shmup this way). Once rotation is working, it will be necessary to have a third remap, intended for vertical games which you're rotating using RetroArch rather than rotating using your hands, because all the directional buttons will be 90 degrees off. But that bridge, etc.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To expand on this, since people don't seem to be sure what an ECM file is...ECM is a program/compression scheme created by Neil Corlett that is meant to compress down CD disc images. That's why it didn't work straight out of the box, because the file was compressed and the emulator didn't know what it was supposed to be. That's why you'll see it on a download site at times, because sometimes the size difference is significantly smaller as compared to a file that's not compressed.

If I remember right, it works by getting rid of a lot of redundant data, making the disc images smaller and compress better in say a zip file.

Last edited by 9thSage,

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
Would lowering the sound latency on retroarch produce better sound quality or just lower frame rates? Also does audio sync now work without crippling frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge