Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I translated Retroarch's internal controls to NeoGeo, you translated the Vita controls to Retroarch's internal controls.

Yeaaaaaaah... (^^;
Only in case the other user needed to know that, since it seemed he had more trouble with RetroArch as a whole rather than simply FBA-Neo.

Reactions: xoleras20099

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG is fullspeed in SNES9x2005's newest build. Just played through the Intro Sequence til Mario's Pad. <3

Some of the sound effects sound a -little- off, but nothing you can't get past. :)

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG is fullspeed in SNES9x2005's newest build. Just played through the Intro Sequence til Mario's Pad. <3

Some of the sound effects sound a -little- off, but nothing you can't get past. :)

...And that's right! Looks like they finally fixed the issue with SMRPG's scripted sequences making the game crawl.
Though yeah, the sound is a core thing, not a game thing. Yesh!

On a side note, don't use Nestopia just yet; fails to load ROMsets.
Tentatively putting that under "Nonfunctioning."

And VBA Next indeed runs consistently at half-speed. But, at least the Kingdom Hearts intro plays fine (Again, slowly).

Last edited by SeongGino,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Well, time to use save states at save points then. ^^

Well, to be safe at least!

...I stand corrected. (^^;
6b5ac77406.jpg

Is this core-specific? I don't know.

Funyarinpa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SNES9x2005 saves fine.
I'm using CatSFC since I hear it performs better.

For what it's worth mGBA has the same issue (I know it isn't a RetroArch core).

Weirdest thing is that for Super Metroid, it did let me load a save after restarting the emulator but only once.

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Weirdest thing is that for Super Metroid, it did let me load a save after restarting the emulator but only once.
SNES9x2005 is CatSFC, they renamed it and it got a speed boost last night.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

CatSFC IS Snes9x 2005.

And Snes9x 2005 saves fine.
da36eeb862.jpg

At least, I think it's fine...
The oddest thing, though, is I don't think it is core specific.
Example, I tried with two games on FCEUmm; Zelda no Densetsu and Zelda 1 (Basically, NES and FDS versions of Zelda 1).
While Zelda no Densetsu DID save once...
70e524d426.jpg

...It didn't last after closing/re-opening RetroArch.
c4526437a9.jpg

However, when I tried NES Zelda 1, THAT save persisted.
b690a68fee.jpg

Sure, probably bad examples (It may only prove Famicom Disk System doesn't save but Battery Backed NES games do). But...
Iunno.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So THAT's why the latest nightly didn't have a CatSFC core!

...I JUST said this earlier. >~<

EDIT: Yep, Snes9x is sporadic with saving.
Tried twice with Dragon Quest I&II. First time, didn't hold the save. Second time, it did.
fce6967570.jpg
You can guess what my naming convention is, eh?
Safe to say, maintaining this as a RetroArch-wide issue.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted the RetroArch files and reinstalled them, since the joystick buttons weren't working properly after I attempted to reconfigure them. (I kept getting that awful SEARCH: thing, which shouldn't even exist on a damn game system!) Now I can't get RetroArch to respond to ANY input. Yep, going back to the PSP Neo-Geo emulator. When LibRetro makes RetroArch even vaguely user-friendly, let me know.

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I deleted the RetroArch files and reinstalled them, since the joystick buttons weren't working properly after I attempted to reconfigure them. (I kept getting that awful SEARCH: thing, which shouldn't even exist on a damn game system!) Now I can't get RetroArch to respond to ANY input. Yep, going back to the PSP Neo-Geo emulator. When LibRetro makes RetroArch even vaguely user-friendly, let me know.

First off, these are nightlies for an emulation system that's hardly a week old.
Second, did you try deleting the entire retroarch folder in ux0:data/ ?
Simply deleting the Libretro core bubbles doesn't delete anything but the executable. You have to clean up the debris yourself, so to speak. And as mentioned before, don't try and reconfigure the buttons, keep them as-is. If you want to configure game/core-specific buttons (CPS1, etc...), open the menu during the game in question, then Controls.

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm my FCeum screen seems cropped on the left. Tried all screen sizes but nothing.

Attachments

• 2016-08-06-123356.jpg
    2016-08-06-123356.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 361
  • 2016-08-06-123459.jpg
    2016-08-06-123459.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by MKKhanzo,

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmmmmy FCeum screen seems cropped on the left.

This is common. That's because Castlevania uses some of the extended screen real-estate used by overscan, which isn't properly used on FCEUmm.
Now, if Nestopia worked (My personal favorite), then this would be less of an issue.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I deleted that folder already in MoleculeShell, but I did it a second time and now I'm getting joystick input again. Strange. Thanks.

I wouldn't say that RetroArch was only "a week old," though. I've had similar problems with the 3DS version of the emulator, and that's been around for at least a half year now. It really, really needs to be optimized for the systems it's ported to... little effort was made to do this and the interface makes it painfully obvious. I wish someone would just port Final Burn Alpha directly to the Vita and 3DS.

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I deleted that folder already in MoleculeShell, but I did it a second time and now I'm getting joystick input again. Strange. Thanks.

I wouldn't say that RetroArch was only "a week old," though. I've had similar problems with the 3DS version of the emulator, and that's been around for at least a half year now. It really, really needs to be optimized for the systems it's ported to... little effort was made to do this and the interface makes it painfully obvious. I wish someone would just port Final Burn Alpha directly to the Vita and 3DS.

This happens still on the Wii´s ports... :unsure:

SeongGino

The Average One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Well, RetroArch IS meant to be portable, and work across all systems it's made for similarly. Considering the developers' jobs are more to port the cores and less about changing an interface that works "fine enough" for these systems... eh.

Now, if you'd like to maybe port an optional menu driver for RetroArch that would make things better for your preference, such as the XMB-like menu, you're free to do so! But until then, we can hardly complain to be honest...

WIPs are fun!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PCEHASBEENRELEASEDPCEHASBEENRELEASEDPCEHASBEENRELEASEDPCEHASBEENRELEASEDPCEHASBEENRELEASED.

Aaaaand sigh.

The next core in the lineup, MednaFen PCE_Fast, has just been made available. Now adding to the list.
Hype intensifies...

Funyarinpa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Installed today's Snes9x2005 .vpk nightly, but my save games still get wiped whenever I restart the emulator. Oh well, I'll make do with savestates - it's amazing to be playing Super Metroid on Vita, full speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EHimfmhrok?si=xpxDoYFxnBtuAR7P