Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I just need to replace the files from the parser I take it, but I don't know what line to put for retroarch since I don't think it has a titleid

You dont need to replace any files, the taihen parser is the part of henkaku/taihen that parses (reads) the config.txt and loads modules based on its configuration.

The link details how to configure your config.txt, including how to apply a plugin to all titleids other than specific ones you dont want it applied to.
It's well worth a read IMO.

Retroarch's titleid is: RETROVITA
I just tested by assigning the framecounter plugin to retroarch, it works.
The titleid of a homerbrew app is the app's folder name in ux0:app

Add the following line right above the*ALL line of your config.txt and power the vita off/on:
*!RETROVITA

Last edited by Count Duckula,

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You dont need to replace any files, the taihen parser is the part of henkaku/taihen that parses (reads) the config.txt and loads modules based on its configuration.

The link details how to configure your config.txt, including how to apply a plugin to all titleids other than specific ones you dont want it applied to.
It's well worth a read IMO.

Retroarch's titleid is: RETROVITA
I just tested by assigning the framecounter plugin to retroarch, it works.
The titleid of a homerbrew app is the app's folder name in ux0:app

Add the following line right above the*ALL line of your config.txt and power the vita off/on:
*!RETROVITA
So I don't need to download anything? It's part of the original taiHEN? Ok I'll give it a try. So just to be clear by adding that line it made it so that VHS didn't load with retroarch which in then made it not get that framedrop in performance

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I don't need to download anything? It's part of the original taiHEN? Ok I'll give it a try. So just to be clear by adding that line it made it so that VHS didn't load with retroarch which in then made it not get that framedrop in performance

If you add that line above your *ALL section, then plugins listed in the *ALL section won't be loaded when running retroarch. The link explains why.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Was this removed in the latest version? Pressing the start button doesn't seem to do anything, and in the options screen, I can't seem to select any other mapping for it than a keyboard key.

It still works. Maybe there's something wrong in your config? I am attaching screenshots of my config.

Quickmenu -> Options:

2018-08-23-093244.jpg

Quickmenu -> Controls:

2018-08-23-093312.jpg

Reactions: 01y

jms209

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is gba emulation still not full speed?

Tried megaman battle network and audio is still laggy/cuts out.

Has any progress been made in optimization, it's been years and still same issues.

I see something here about overlocking making it run better, but not sure how I would do that. Do I just install a new plugin?

Last edited by jms209,

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So is gba emulation still not full speed?

Tried megaman battle network and audio is still laggy/cuts out.

Has any progress been made in optimization, it's been years and still same issues.

I see something here about overlocking making it run better, but not sure how I would do that. Do I just install a new plugin?

A recent release of Retroarch already does overclocking on the cpu, gpu and bus as stated earlier. What we were discussing is an issue that occurs if you use the vsh menu plugin.

jms209

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah unfortunately, it's why I still use gbsp kai on adrenaline
It really is my main gripe with vita, it's emulation being pretty bad compared to psp.

I found out retroarch can use some good overlays to make gba games look way better. Adrenaline is blurry compared to how they look in retroarch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A recent release of Retroarch already does overclocking on the cpu, gpu and bus as stated earlier. What we were discussing is an issue that occurs if you use the vsh menu plugin.
So no settings, it's just overclocked on latest/nightly build? I did try latest nightly and didn't notice an improvement.

Last edited by jms209,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I would not blame the Vita too much. For most systems, emulation is much faster on VIta than on PSP. For example, SNES/PFBA/Amiga/C64 are much faster.

GBA emulation, however, is not so fast. Keep in mind that GBA emulation was kind of a miracle on the PSP. It was just so unbelievably fast. Nobody thought it could be so fast. It was some coding genius ;)

It is good to keep some emulators on Adrenaline. The PSP had a great collection of emulators and some had really good user interfaces, too. I agree, the screen display is a bit blurry compared to Vita-native emulators, but really it is not too bad. It is good to keep a copy of CPS1PSP, CPS2PSP and MVSPSP on Adrenaline, too, even though PFBA can run those games. This is because these PSP-native emulators support ad-hoc two-player gameplay, even in Adrenaline. I tested it. It works perfectly between Vita and Vita, and even between VIta and PSP (!).

Last edited by rsn8887,
Reactions: jms209

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You just forgot NCDZPSP, the only one I use this far simply because no emulator is launching NeoGeo CD roms on native side. But yeah it works really well!

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
GBA emulation, however, is not so fast. Keep in mind that GBA emulation was kind of a miracle on the PSP. It was just so unbelievably fast. Nobody thought it could be so fast. It was some coding genius ;)

I remember trying gpsp for the first time on psp and being blown away. Exophase is some kind of wizard.

01y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Canada
It still works. Maybe there's something wrong in your config? I am attaching screenshots of my config.

Quickmenu -> Options:

View attachment 140812

Quickmenu -> Controls:

View attachment 140813

I must have changed my config inadvertently, now works perfectly after matching to your control layout.

I wonder if there's a similar onscreen keyboard feauture for DOSBox

squareboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone used the vice x64 core?

I'm having issues loading and running a disk image without having keyboard input.
I understand there on the PC version there is a command menu when you click on the left mouse button but I can't figure out how to access this menu on the vita.
I've tried remapping buttons but there just aren't enough for all of: L O A D " * , 8 1 ENTER R U N

Thanks for any help

Last edited by squareboy,

squareboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was able to make some progress. In the quick menu -> options I changed controller0 type from keyboard to joystick
- I then resumed emulation and was able to press square to bring up the vice on screen keyboard, select seems to toggle a virtual mouse pointer which is moved by the joypad and circle is the mouse click. Start brings up a settings screen that mirrors most of the retroarch settings. The keyboard input is janky and is not working correctly. It seems that the joypad and the buttons are giving more than one input to the c64 screen.

I still have not found the command screen which is key to running c64 games.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I was able to make some progress. In the quick menu -> options I changed controller0 type from keyboard to joystick
- I then resumed emulation and was able to press square to bring up the vice on screen keyboard, select seems to toggle a virtual mouse pointer which is moved by the joypad and circle is the mouse click. Start brings up a settings screen that mirrors most of the retroarch settings. The keyboard input is janky and is not working correctly. It seems that the joypad and the buttons are giving more than one input to the c64 screen.

I still have not found the command screen which is key to running c64 games.

Keys: See my previous post with two screenshots of the config that works for me.

Loading disks: just load your d64 files using the Retroarch menu like any other rom. Use Load Content to load them, just like you would load a snes rom for the snes9x emulator for example. Then the emulator will automatically enter the LOAD”*”,8,1 and RUN commands for you. No need to type them by hand.

Last edited by rsn8887,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...