Question Retroarch + exFat = corruption?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Jil.10, Mar 24, 2019.

?
  1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. DonKilluminati23

DonKilluminati23 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    I would have preferred to use exfat for obvious reasons, and did so for about 4 months.. then it happened. I wasn't mad, I knew I had it coming. Haven't had any issues since converting to fat32, and I don't have that constant bit of worry in the back of my mind every time I go to run retroarch etc.

Use exfat if you want, just be prepared for the (virtually) inevitable, and try not to lose your cool and swallow your pride if / when it's your time to pay for dancing with the devil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Canada
    I've got two switches (mine and my partners) both of which have 128gb Sandisk U3 SD cards formatted to exFAT and thus far have been problem free.

A friend of mine was using a cheap SD they bought online (fat32) and it did end up with corrupted files.

Though it's likely that's caused by the exFAT driver (it can cause data corruption) did you try those same cards formatted to fat32? Not being able to delete files using your PC sounds like something is either wrong with the card/sd reader. I know my old Adata SD card I used in my phone did that before it died completely.

3. shano

shano GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Australia
    I recently swapped to FAT32. Was starting to experience very long boot times of GoldLeaf which fixed when i swapped to FAT32.

Maybe my EXFAT card was starting to corrupt. Just split the NSP's with a splitter if worried about not being able to install bigger NSP games/updates.

4. Redbunnymoon

Redbunnymoon GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2015
    Austria
    I still use exfat since 2017 and nothing bad happend to me.
    And i love the danger, thats my middle name
    Stupid danger cunt

It cant hit anyone. Maybe not this day or next week but maybe it can me hit in 2 years

5. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    I'm using exFAT, and no issues so far. Still keep an updated backup of my msd just in case.

6. jme2712

jme2712 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2009
    United States
    Using a Samsung evo I was not able to boot into ams. This was at the end of February this year. I just got a black screen. Switching to fat32 immediately remedied the situation.

7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    You are correct but stay away from homebrew ? Not true. I have been used it for a long time with exFAT and no corruption so far.. NOT JUST YET anyway. I have a backup just in case. So far, everything is so good.

cucholix likes this.
  8. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    Just use FAT32 and USB install for NSPs. Problem solved.

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    LOL. Use exFAT and USB Installed method (Hate getting SD out every time) for NSPs since November 2018. Problem solved as well.

10. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I've been using exfat since homebrew came to the switch, never experienced corruption. I'm convinced corruption happens due to user error, such as not exiting homebrew correctly.

11. KirovAir

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Dec 7, 2006
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    It is and never was a homebrew problem. It's in the Switch kernel. This problem is still here until Nintendo fixes it. Nintendo keeps an own FS table next to the exfat one to fix corruption of the table on every reboot because the kernel is fucked. Homebrew will never have a solution like this unless this is created within a CFW or within the homebrew itself, which is stupid.
    Fat32 does not have this issue as it has a backup FS table from itself, which can recover without Horizon OS. (And is suitable for homebrew)

See here for a better explanation:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/7480#issuecomment-432700844
    and here:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/7480#issuecomment-434262799

Last edited by KirovAir, Mar 25, 2019
    Froz, Rahkeesh, ZachyCatGames and 2 others like this.
  12. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Sd exfat for switch games, and another sd fat32 for Homebrew and movies.
    Everything alright.

13. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Just wanted to add that I don't think there's anything magical about FAT32, you can get corruption no matter which you use.

Unleanone999 and peteruk like this.
  14. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    You can, just use guiformat on Windows

FAT32 has countermeasures for avoiding corruption of partition table. Exfat hasn't. So on Exfat you have better chance of corruption.
    You can read it in Wikipedia.

I got one time corruption in "titles" of Wolfenstein New Colossus, so FAT32 isn't ideal, but better than exfat in terms of risk.

Last edited by masagrator, Mar 25, 2019
  15. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    It’s not an issue with the kernel (although that does have it’s own set of issues), it’s an issue with the FS sysmodule :P

16. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    This reminds me of jaded new yorkers its like one stranger goes to you hey dont go down there and other strangers walk by and are like hey it was fine. I said it before i will say it again. Anyone who has retroarch and exfat isnt really playing. Maybe some casual showing off. But no one is really putting hours into the old retro games. If they did they would notice corruption. So it causes confusion cause those people chime in and say hey i have retroarch everything is fine! Meanwhile they occassionally play game gear or something...

17. piwix

piwix Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2018
    Uruguay
    Hi I use exFat since day one and I can tell you this. My card got corrupted twice, once using nxmtp, the other one was saving a state of a game in retroarch. Im planning use two SDcard, one specific for retroarch

18. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Yes, you can. You need to use a partition managing tool in Windows since MS thinks drives larger than 32GB shouldn't be allowed to use FAT32. :rolleyes:

19. SentryCrafter

SentryCrafter Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2017
    Gambia, The
    being unable to format 32GB+ drives is a limitation of Windows imposed by Microsoft to get you to adopt exFat, you know, the thing they managed you to do

to add to the discussion
    when I first homebrewed my switch I used exFat as I saw that as Nintys prefered filesystem
    but my files constantly corrupted
    not just files I used e.g. roms ALL files
    homebrew, hekate files, etc.

Last edited by SentryCrafter, Apr 2, 2019
  20. chaxelos

chaxelos Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    I formatted my exFAT SD 3x now in a week since i installed retroarch and started playing PSP games. now im switching to FAT32, and giving it a go! hope this will be the last time i will format my sd! transferring back files back and forth is one hell of a job!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted