Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

caffVic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I have everything freshly updated and all the cores seem to go slower than normal. None of the Snes9x cores can handle Mario World properly (which I'm using as a benchmark of sorts, since it usually runs fine).

I have a N3DS btw, so definitely not normal.

Maybe it has been mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't find anything.

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
So I have everything freshly updated and all the cores seem to go slower than normal. None of the Snes9x cores can handle Mario World properly (which I'm using as a benchmark of sorts, since it usually runs fine).

slower as in slightly slower, or o3DS level slower ?

caffVic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
slower as in slightly slower, or o3DS level slower ?
Super Mario World on Snes9x cores:
2002: Playable with a bit of frameskipping
2005: Playable with a bit of frameskipping
2005 Plus: Laggy, unplayable
2010: Laggy, unplayable

--Snes9x for O3DS: Smooth as butter
--blargSnes: Smooth as butter

EDIT: Spellitrocities.
EDIT: Also, I'm using the 10/06 .3dsx nightlies

Last edited by caffVic,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I read a few pages back that per-core settings is now working. Has anybody actually been able to get it working? I'm trying to use the XMB for every core except the Neo Geo core.

Also, the fbalpha core is still using the generic titleID of RETROARCH 3DS.

HenryLeonheart

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been out of the loop regarding Retroarch so my current installed version is 1.3.3. Noticed CatSFC and the plus version aren't listed. What is currently the best emulator for SNES for the N3DS?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've been out of the loop regarding Retroarch so my current installed version is 1.3.3. Noticed CatSFC and the plus version aren't listed. What is currently the best emulator for SNES for the N3DS?
CatSFC and Plus are still there.
They're named SnesGx 2005 and SnesGx 2005 Plus now, PocketSNES is SnesGx 2002 and the other one is SnesGx 2010.
I use PocketSNES and haven't had any major issues.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Psx rearmed, mame 2003 and 2003, and gpsp 3dsx crash on boot on latest nightlies. Been out of loop.....anyone know which nightlies work of them in 3dsx?

Aether

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I'm having the same problem. Using the latest nightly I only get 35-40fps in FCEUMM and 20FPS in Nestopia. Using Ninjhax to boot HBL on a 11.1 New3DS.
The game I'm trying to play is Rockman 2.

edit: 1.3.6 Stable FCEUMM does give me 60FPS. :D

Last edited by Aether,

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ok guys:
- genesis+gx tearing is back (Ecco - The tides of time). Half screen, the left part of it. BUT!!
- Picodrive has NO MORE TEARING (Ecco - The tides of time). It is SO SO GREAT, now! caution: with LQ2x filter on, tearing can appears on the left part of the screen.

For me it'll be picodrive, without filters. Just perfect!! Thanks to the team!!

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
for .CIA builds only :

added core loading, this means that you can now use the following menu entries:
  • load core
  • load Content --> Select File And Detect Core
  • Load Recent
  • Restart Retroarch
per-core configs should probably also work now, I didn't test it myself.

make sure to copy the retroarch folder in the .7z archive to the root of your SD, and check if "Core Dir" and "Core Info Dir" point to the correct folders (retroarch/cores and retroarch/cores/info respectively, you can also move them somewhere else if you want ofc).

if you don't want to install all cores, delete the corresponding .core files in the "Core Dir".

there also a new retroarch_3ds.cia file, which can serve as the main app.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Super Mario World on Snes9x cores:
2002: Playable with a bit of frameskipping
2005: Playable with a bit of frameskipping
2005 Plus: Laggy, unplayable
2010: Laggy, unplayable

--Snes9x for O3DS: Smooth as butter
--blargSnes: Smooth as butter

EDIT: Spellitrocities.
EDIT: Also, I'm using the 10/06 .3dsx nightlies

'Smooth as butter' is a bit of a generic and not well defined statement, also you are not factoring in that there could be a huge amount of regressions as a result of these rendering changes to Snes9x, I definitely recall this being the case with Snes9x Euphoria on the PSP and lot sof other projects like that.

As for me, Snes9x 2005 runs at fullspeed with nearly most games on the New 3DS, there is never an audio crackle or video frame tearing (and I really tend to look for these things so if they happened I'd have been able to tell). I'd say that is 'smooth as butter' definitely. It runs at over 100fps when unthrottled, that is more than fullspeed enough, you don't need frameskipping. Maybe with SuperFX it's a different story or some other special chip game, but most regular games should be totally fine.

That being said, if Snes9x for O3DS has some worthwhile stuff to backport, we'll consider backporting it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't produce any of your issues on my New 3DS A9LH. I think it's definitely a problem on your end or else I'd be experiencing it as well. I have tried both CIA and 3dsx versions.

Super Mario World unthrottled runs at 100fps with Snes9x 2005.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,
Reactions: SLiV3R

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for .CIA builds only :

added core loading, this means that you can now use the following menu entries:
  • load core
  • load Content --> Select File And Detect Core
  • Load Recent
  • Restart Retroarch
per-core configs should probably also work now, I didn't test it myself.

make sure to copy the retroarch folder in the .7z archive to the root of your SD, and check if "Core Dir" and "Core Info Dir" point to the correct folders (retroarch/cores and retroarch/cores/info respectively, you can also move them somewhere else if you want ofc).

if you don't want to install all cores, delete the corresponding .core files in the "Core Dir".

there also a new retroarch_3ds.cia file, which can serve as the main app.

Just gave the core loading a try on my 2DS, and it works as expected. :) The only thing i would consider a problem is that I can't seem to use the stand-alone Retroarch.CIA without having the other cores installed as CIA; loading Retroarch.cia without the other cores installed causes the 3DS to crash and reboot. I was hoping to be able to use the stand-alone version much like Retroarch on other platforms mainly because I don't like having so many icons on my home screen/inside my folders, haha.

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Just gave the core loading a try on my 2DS, and it works as expected. :) The only thing i would consider a problem is that I can't seem to use the stand-alone Retroarch.CIA without having the other cores installed as CIA; loading Retroarch.cia without the other cores installed causes the 3DS to crash and reboot. I was hoping to be able to use the stand-alone version much like Retroarch on other platforms mainly because I don't like having so many icons on my home screen/inside my folders, haha.
you aren't supposed to delete the other cores ...
I said "main app", not "standalone" ;)
install the cores you want, move their icons to a folder in the home menu.
delete all .core files for cores you haven't installed. (the ones in sdmc:/retroarch/cores/)
install retroarch_3ds.cia, and use that.

Last edited by aliaspider,
Reactions: kenseiden

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head