Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just tested out the new nightly build released a few mins ago.

Almost all cores are still crashing when trying to boot any ROM.
Only ones which didn't crash were Mednafen VB and MAME 2003.
The rest of the cores I use they all crash and reboot the console.
Nestopia and Genesis Plus GX still fail after the SET_ command, while SNEX9X 2002 and fMSX last line on the lower screen is about the font (also appears in Mame and M-VB before booting the ROMs, so I think that line is normal).

Using latest nightly 10-02 with the XBM menu.

I will report when we have fixed these issues, no sense repeating the same thing over again.

We are aware of the issues with Fceumm, nestopia, and picodrive, aliaspider said he has to fix something on the video driver in order to fix it. So I'm waiting for that instead of reverting the commits that caused the crashes to happen since those commits were made for enhancement reasons in general.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I will report when we have fixed these issues, no sense repeating the same thing over again.

We are aware of the issues with Fceumm, nestopia, and picodrive, aliaspider said he has to fix something on the video driver in order to fix it. So I'm waiting for that instead of reverting the commits that caused the crashes to happen since those commits were made for enhancement reasons in general.
Oh okay, thanks for the heads up!
And sorry for repeating myself, just trying to give my two cents to help give feedback, I didn't notice about the commit reports. :P

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to understand how difficult what you're asking is. How difficult it is to code to a specific platform.

Libretro devs have a ton of platforms to mantain. Vita, Windows, Linux, Android, Xbox, you name it. They have several cores, ranging from NES to PSP. With SNES9X 3DS you can already see how much time was invested into optimizing A SINGLE CORE for the 3DS. Now why should libretro devs invest so much time into optimizing JUST for the 3DS when they have to mantain their codebase for several platforms? Why should the 3DS be privileged by them? It's not how it works.

A lot of the cores work really, really well on the O3DS. I'm already thankful for them.
So am I, being a o3DS user. I intend to continue to test until the RA devs we have feel their time is justified, and appreciate every second of it.

To compound on this, most of the problem stems from the fact that not only are there a million cores on a trillion different platforms, there seems to be only a few dedicated to 3DS development. Some of the more popular platforms may have better contributions and developers, but we have (likely) two solid developers who seem to be newer to the 3DS dev scene, developing for a divided console. I'm content waiting until they sharpen their claws a bit. It's a give take relationship.

Carry on making my handheld console that much better, RetroArch team. I truly appreciate it.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My understanding is that all of the active devs for the 3DS version are using O3DS anyway, so the feeling that O3DS users are being left out is mistaken. Inded, we can cite the Picodrive core as an example of where efforts were made to get the core as close to full speed as possible on the O3DS.

Ultimately, it's important to remember what the focus of LibRetro is - portability. This implies that optimisation for specific systems, while not being uncommon, aren't necessarily part of the focus and may be impractical if those optimisations cannot then be backported to other formats. That said, we've already seen efforts to backport optimisations from other cores to the 3DS core.

The Snes9x for Old 3DS core is very different because it contains a lot of speedup, hacks and workarounds that really go beyond the definition of simply 'optimisations'. It's a great emulator, but it uses heavily speedhacks because the format necessitates this. A lot of these would be unsuitable for implementation into the main Snes9x cores. There may be a case for yet another separate Snes9x core, but then people could just use the emulator itself.

Reactions: kenseiden

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pcsx nightly 2-ocktober, trying to load a save state will make the screen flicker for a few seconds,
while in the upper left corner of the screen a smaller "screen" is generated for the duration.

Gambatte nightly 2-ocktober, starting a game will make the speakers crackle for 1 a 2 seconds.

Gpsp nightly 2-ocktober, when trying to start a game throws you to quick menu,
without starting the game.

Snes9x 2010 nightly 2-ocktober, trying to load a save state causes a hard-crash/reset

Last edited by Greymane, , Reason: Snes9x 2010

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I would actually support dropping the Snes9x 2010 core on the 3DS because it doesn't run anywhere near full speed even on the New 3DS. It doesn't seem worthwhile maintaining it given we have the three other cores.

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Could you guys pay some attention to Gambatte? Nobody mentions it, but the 3DS is in a dire need of a perfect GBC emulator. Gambatte is already pretty much perfect, but the sound is really bad on it, a lot of notes get "scratchy" output. Try Mario Tennis out for example, it's terrible.

Far from an ideal solution, but GameYob's DS version might start working within the near future once DSi-mode DLDI can be sorted out. Remarkably capable emulator- worth a look, if you're having trouble with the RA cores as they currently stand.

Last edited by sieroi,
Reactions: Billy Acuña

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Far from an ideal solution, but GameYob's DS version might start working within the near future once DSi-mode DLDI can be sorted out. Remarkably capable emulator- worth a look, if you're having trouble with the RA cores as they currently stand.
Works great on my R4, too.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
PCSX/gambatte/gpsp/etc nightly 3-ocktober : some games crash on loading the rom, others crash when a save state is loaded.

other issues mentioned earlier persist.

There is no need to retest this, aliaspider hasn't pushed the necessary changes yet that would fix the majority of the cores again.

So just wait until either me or aliaspider tells people in this thread something has been pushed.

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is no need to retest this, aliaspider hasn't pushed the necessary changes yet that would fix the majority of the cores again.

So just wait until either me or aliaspider tells people in this thread something has been pushed.

Ah sorry for that went kind of a bit testing nuts (yay for testing), since is started being an intern. Message recieved

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thanks. Do you know what emulators will run and will not on the o3ds?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Gambatte or GameYob for GameBoy, QuickNES for NES, Picodrive for MegaDrive and Master System, Genesis Plus GX for GameGear, fMSX for MSX.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: Usl5264

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?