Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
@Vague Rant I was not using the save sorting option previously or now, and my saves loaded correctly when I was using the Sept 29 nightly, after the renaming had taken place.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, upon further inspection it seems that the SNES9x cores are loading/saving to the SD card root for some reason. gPSP also seems to still be crashing when you close one ROM and try to load another.

Last edited by coinblock,

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot get any build of Retroarch to work period. Stable, nightly, doesn't matter which core... They all fail loading a ROM and bring up the 3DS error dialogue forcing me to reboot. Happens on literally every core except PCSX. Oddly, this https://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-for-old-3ds.435568/ build of SNES9X for o3DS works amazingly well on my o3DS. Blarg works. But any build of NEStopia/SNES9X by Retroarch gives me exactly this when I load either an uncompressed or a compressed ROM.

Last screen before ROM loading:
http://i.imgur.com/enMO12f.jpg

Useless generic error forcing my 3DS to reboot:
http://i.imgur.com/Oa0vAGy.jpg

Guess I'll go back to my VC injections. I really wanted Retroarch to replace all the home screen icons. Especially making the move to n3DS.

Last edited by dudemo,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I cannot get any build of Retroarch to work period. Stable, nightly, doesn't matter which core... They all fail loading a ROM and bring up the 3DS error dialogue forcing me to reboot. Happens on literally every core except PCSX. Oddly, this https://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-for-old-3ds.435568/ build of SNES9X for o3DS works amazingly well on my o3DS. Blarg works. But any build of NEStopia/SNES9X by Retroarch gives me exactly this when I load either an uncompressed or a compressed ROM.

Last screen before ROM loading:
http://i.imgur.com/enMO12f.jpg

Useless generic error forcing my 3DS to reboot:
http://i.imgur.com/Oa0vAGy.jpg

Guess I'll go back to my VC injections. I really wanted Retroarch to replace all the home screen icons. Especially making the move to n3DS.

You must be doing something wrong then.

I used the 3dsx version on my New 3DS and Snes9x 2005 runs just fine. Ran a game of Super Mario Kart on it and others.

in case it's not clear, when my ROM is in a Zip file, I select 'Open as Archive', and select the ROM.

Only nestopia, fceumm locks up right now. Interesting development since I think these used to work before? I'll look into this.

Also, please be aware that homebrew 3DS development is not exactly a walk in the park, there are barely any decent debugging tools available, it can be a tough grind.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must be doing something wrong then.

I used the 3dsx version on my New 3DS and Snes9x 2005 runs just fine. Ran a game of Super Mario Kart on it and others.

in case it's not clear, when my ROM is in a Zip file, I select 'Open as Archive', and select the ROM.

Only nestopia, fceumm locks up right now. Interesting development since I think these used to work before? I'll look into this.

Also, please be aware that homebrew 3DS development is not exactly a walk in the park, there are barely any decent debugging tools available, it can be a tough grind.
I understand this. I am aware how difficult it is for you who develop homebrew software and really do appreciate it. I was unaware of NEStopias issues. I was able to get QuickNES working well enough to get along, so I'll stick with that one for now. I should also note that all of my Retroarch cores are the CIA builds.

Even if I unzipped the ROM on my computer and then transferred it to my SD card and loaded it that way I experienced the crash described on many of the Retroarch NES/SNES cores. Also, selecting "System Information" in any core causes corrupted screens and forces you to hold the power button until it shuts down. Its no issue. I'll wait patiently until you guys get it fixed. I wasn't intending to be disrespectful, just pointing out my issues.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How can I modify:
  • Output resolution (Full screen instead of default 4:3 one)
  • Default path for loading ROMs.
With the XBM menu?
I can't seem to find an option to modify any of those, can't find the settings option with the XBM menu. :/

EDIT: Just found out it's by tapping Left/Right on the D-Pad. xD

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

dudemo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That version of snes9x takes speed hacks making it run good on the old 3ds but at the cost of accuracy. That build wasn't even made by retroarch. The goal of retroarch is accuracy so it won't run as well on old 3ds.
I understand that too. My issue is that none of the SNES Retroarch cores work on my console. They all crash as described. Its no issue. I'll keep using the ones I get to work and carry on until Retroarch matures and continue to test it until its ready.

I really need to just buy Fieldrunners so I can do my n3DS. But I wanted to setup my o3DS and back it up before I did so I can get it back to this state and ready as a backup unit.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Make a screenshot of this.
Sure, here you go, I took it with my phone since I don't know how to do it in-app:
img_20161001_182256-jpg.64567

I don't know if you can read it well, but it says "Estimated Monitor Framerate" and the "Framerate" part overlaps with "N/A"
A lot of other options do the same thing to. Maybe moving the first column a bit to the left (like 5-10 character-lenght space to the left) might do it.

Also, I want to report that GenPlus GX, PocketSNES and Nestopia seem to be crashing on me whenver I try to open any ROM.
Mednanfen VB, MAME 2003, fMSX seem to be working fine though (for the ones that I have).
Also, gpSP has the screen tearing on the top of the screen, I suggest using Super Mario Advance 4 to debug this issue since that one seems to be the one that always has it present consistently.

Edit:
One last thing, GenPlusGX, even though it doesn't open up any ROM, seems to generate the save file on the root of the SD card instead of reading them from retroarch/core/savefiles/

Attachments

• IMG_20161001_182256.jpg
    IMG_20161001_182256.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 685
Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The goal of retroarch is accuracy
It's not. RetroArch has several cores, some more accurate than others. PocketSNES has A TON of speed hacks for example, it's far from accurate.

That specific version of SNES9X was built from the ground up for the 3DS. It's not just speed hacks - the key thing is that hardware acceleration features are implemented. That's why it's running so well. Thing is, hardware acceleration in Retroarch is difficult because it has to be done on a per-core basis, and the libretro devs won't dedicate so much time into improving a single core for a single platform, that'd be kind of a waste of time.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
Tried out the Oct 2 nightly and it seems that the saving issue has been fixed. There no longer seems to be any tearing on GenPlusGX either, but FCEUMM & Nestopia are still crashing whenever you load a ROM.

Last edited by coinblock,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried out the Oct 2 nightly and it seems that the saving issue has been fixed. There no longer seems to be any tearing on GenPlusGX either, but FCEUMM is still crashing whenever you load a ROM.
Still tearing on GenPlusGX for me. Running "Mega Turrican" with it. PicoDrive is also crashing when loading a ROM (Stops on "SET_GEOMERTY: 320x240").

Last edited by RocketRobz,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
That version of snes9x takes speed hacks making it run good on the old 3ds but at the cost of accuracy. That build wasn't even made by retroarch. The goal of retroarch is accuracy so it won't run as well on old 3ds.

Sorry but this is bullshit

If Retroarch had accuracy as its goal, it would have a lot less cores under its wing.

It's been said a lot of times, i'll say it again, that version of Snes9x it's the proof that o3DS can run SNES emulation, but with the N3DS the Libretro staff can't even bother.

Let me guess, the PC Engine core is still slow as fuck on o3DS, isn it? And the only Genesis core viable on o3DS is Picodrive, right?

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok. More or less finished icons and banners. Took about 8 hours for all of them. I'm going to post them here for criticism.

After I fix/adjust anything, I'll make a PR of them.

If you have other suggestions for MAME cabs, logos that I've missed, etc. just let me know. Also I like the cave story icon so I'm leaving it, lol.

Attachments

• spritesheet.png
    spritesheet.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 232
  • spritesheet3.png
    spritesheet3.png
    824.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by 44100hz,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry but this is bullshit

If Retroarch had accuracy as its goal, it would have a lot less cores under its wing.

It's been said a lot of times, i'll say it again, that version of Snes9x it's the proof that o3DS can run SNES emulation, but with the N3DS the Libretro staff can't even bother.

Let me guess, the PC Engine core is still slow as fuck on o3DS, isn it? And the only Genesis core viable on o3DS is Picodrive, right?

This is not magic, we are trying to do the best we can (and 'we' in this case is literally two people, aliaspider and me). As for myself, I only recently received 3DSes, I can now finally start looking at what the state of things are. If we can backport any optimizations from that Snes9x fork, we will. It could help out a lot of other platforms besides 3DS. Hopefully they didn't cause too many regressions though like Snes9x Euphoria before on PSP.

All the same though, I think your attitude here is really counterproductive and it won't help us improve RetroArch and it won't help improve the feedback we get in this thread either. If you are dissatisfied with the state of things, if you are a developer and have some skills, you can either contribute, or you can just sit and wait. We have a lot of stuff on our plate.

I am not going to go through the same thing again as with RetroArch Wii on gbatemp years ago when certain people made any discussion here useless and the atmosphere turned so hostile that I felt compelled to leave. So I respectfully ask you that you at least don't barge in here like this anymore and adopt a more constructive attitude. If not and if this kind of negative attitude starts taking hold of this forum, I will again retreat to my own forum. If you don't care yourself, at best you can not ruin it for everybody else posting in this thread.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares. +1