Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

HaloBenish

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most BIOS files are copyrighted, so no download links for you from here.
Though, heres a tip: Just search for psx bios files on google or the like, its rather easy to find them like that.
Can you give the name and location of where the bios files should be on the sd card? root/retroarch/cores/system as SPH5002.bin or something like that? Does it actually make a noticeable performance difference, I did not notice any performance increase after putting the bios there

retroguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
............... just that crash & reboot on exit is annoying.

Yeah, would be nice if the PCE core will be fixed. But the reboot is a little price to pay, this is a great core, I'm playing Gate of Thunder (PCE CD game) with a solid 60 fps!! On the N3DS!!! Yep, I really love retroarch.

BTW, the crash/reboot only occurs when closing a CD game. Closing a Rom game is working OK.

Last edited by retroguy,
Reactions: SG6000

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
How does catsfc handle save files (normal in-game saves, not states)?
I'm trying to keep my SD organized, but I can't really figure out what exactly catsfc is doing. It seems to create .srm files both in \retroarch\cores\savefiles\ and \roms\ (where the rom is I select in Load Cotnent)
I don't want save files in \roms\. I want to keep that folder clean, with just the rom files themselves.
In Settings, the directory is set to \retroarch\cores\savefiles\
But still it keeps saving to \roms\ as well. I've tested this by removing .srm files from a game from both folders. After running the game again, the .srm files have appeared again in both folders.
Why is it doing this?

WindyRain0212

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
home.nssdev.net
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can you give the name and location of where the bios files should be on the sd card? root/retroarch/cores/system as SPH5002.bin or something like that? Does it actually make a noticeable performance difference, I did not notice any performance increase after putting the bios there
The paths and names for the BIOS files are on the first post of this thread.

Else.. Ehh I don't think it really gives any performance increase - BUT I heard some games need the BIOS files to run. Not all, but some. Not sure though.
It doesn't hurt though to have them. That's for sure.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I suspect that Retroarch on the 3DS is as mature as it's going to get. Most of the existing optimisations have already been enabled, so I should think the most we can expect from now on is bugfixes. If we're lucky, maybe somebody will port a new core or two.

To an extent, progress with the libRetro port is heavily reliant on what improvement (if any) are made to the original sources the cores are based on.

Reactions: SLiV3R

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has sega pico support picodrive core ??
I remember play those games in picodrive psp emu port!!
I want play pokemon picodrive series..... :huh:

Last edited by angelhp,

Charganium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I get rid of the black flickering lines near the top of the screen in gpsp?

Also Drill Dozer still crashes within a minute or so of startup, when it didn't a few months ago

d12unk13astard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the major differences between gpsp and mgba, i have better boot success rate with mgba than i do with gpsp but im wondering if it loads only certain gba files better than others?

Edit:

I use the N3DS and cia version of both GPSP & MGBA

Last edited by d12unk13astard,

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience the boot rate for both mgba and gpsp has been a solid 100%, although gpsp tends to run more titles at full speed. I've never been a heavy user of these particular cores though. Using 3DSX versions on an N3DS.

Reactions: d12unk13astard

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They same they now include Mame 0.78 and I don't see it in the latest nightly. Did it get taken out?

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
The last built (CIA) keeps crashing at starts (on all cores), why this happens?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nobody answer that damn question, so no, looks like retroarch is for New 3DS only users...

That question was answered a couple of posts ago. Read again! :)

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I'm really liking what I've seen using these emulators on my non-XL N3DS. Before I get into some of my suggestions, I'd like to ask: Is there a dedicated page for keeping track of all of the bug reports, like a github-styled reports/status page? I'm not sure if I want to sift through 174 pages to ensure I'm not repeating any issues that have already been stated. That said, I have a few things I'd like to report:

EDIT: Ah, sorry. Here are my config files/setup info in a .zip: https://dropfile.to/Lkhz9

- Interface Related -
  • I noticed that .srm file handling is managed in both the /retroarch/cores/savefiles/ and my rom folder. Is there a way we can keep .srm handling to only the designated directory, so that file management is less confusing/cleaner?
  • I also noticed that if I failed to load a save state, the game would reset itself. Can we make it so the program doesn't reset the game if it fails to load a state?
  • I manually set my SNES video output to the 1x resolution of 256x224, viewportx=80 and viewporty=6. Can this be one of the Aspect Ratio Index presets? I also noticed that pressing Right moving from "Custom" changes the Aspect Ratio Index to 4:3, and I can't seem to press left to cycle back.
  • Speaking of custom viewport settings, it takes a bit long to change the values in the hundreds digits. Can you change the value tweaking so that holding A and pressing Up/Down will inc/dec the values by 10, while Left/Right will inc/dec the values by 1? It's a similar approach to how LSDJ tweaks values, and I think it could make retroarch's menu navigation much nicer.
  • Additionally, it's a bit awkward to tweak the screen resolution with the Emulator Menu covering the majority of the top screen. Can it temporarily move to the bottom screen while the user is tweaking viewport values, so it's easier to see how the screen is being tweaked?
  • Holding Down/Up on the menu seems to gradually accelerate the cursor! This isn't a big deal, but I thought I'd mention that it eventually goes so fast that it stops moving.
  • Pressing A on Quick Menu can very easily cause someone to accidentally select Resume Game in the following menu. Can you add a delay on the button checking or wait for the user to release the key first before waiting for input on the following menu?
  • Is there a way to delete hotkeys within the emulator? I have to delete my .cfg files every time I want to change a shortcut, which causes me to manually re-set my screen resolution and other settings. I was hoping not pressing anything when configuration checked a button would clear the value, but it doesn't seem to work.
  • I absolutely adore the additional features for hotkeys and hotkey mapping for things such as frame advance and pause toggling. Are there any plans for .smv TAS movie recording/playback? Would it be possible to keep the movie synced with the game no matter how badly it lagged?
  • Pressing Home and resuming each emulator completely blacked out the screen! (I'm using A9LH+Cakes on 10.7 SysNAND)
-Game Related-
  • [PocketSNES CIA] I was playing Super Mario RPG. For the most part, the game ran perfectly. However, I noticed that some areas would not properly render the HDMA layer to fill the background of the overworld maps. Though, I noticed it rendered fine in the first town (Mushroom Kingdom)
  • [PocketSNES CIA] Yoshi's Island ran very, very good too: I was delighted to find out that the Bowser (6-8) and Raven (5-8) boss battles did not lag at all, if only a little. I think the only times I noticed it lag were very minor transitions, areas with lava, the Title Screen, and the Ending (endgame scrolling text, Yoshi walking around the island, and the credits sequence). I'm not sure about retroarch's stance on speedhacks, but I feel like the ending sequence and title screen could use some speedhacks, given they don't affect the gameplay that much. If I had to guess, the Title and Credits are lagging because the many/large sprites on the screen have to update their sprite positions.
Once again, I'm very happy such fantastic emulators exist on the 3ds, and I'm looking forward to future developments on each emulator on the retroarch project!

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around, I have a gyno apt tomorrow. " Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.