Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

darklinkpower

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
haven't messed with msx stuff, I think I read that you have to set 256Kb of ram or something..core menu ? please try, I'll update the OP if that was it :)

Sorry but I cound't find that option. Also, I forgot to write that I set the core to "MSX2+" before, so that's not the issue. I tried with japanese versions of mg1 and 2 and they worked, it's strange, but a lot of games are not working, one that loaded even had the whole screen glitched.

bpc908

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on a New 3DS XL on 10.2 using ironhax with the 10/3 3dsx nightlies and Sonic CD runs slow (around 40 fps) on Genesis Plus GX, but it runs at ~59 FPS using Picodrive but drops a frame or two pretty regularly. I also can't get Picodrive to look nice on the 3DS screen (I think it forces overscan or underscan so it screws up the 1:1 and doesn't look as nice as Genesis Plus GX).

I can't imagine that any Sega CD game would run well on an Old 3DS with the current state of things since it still drops frames occasionally even on a New.
I can run Snatcher at a playable framerate on O3DS

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. I get a red screen with it though :( Not sure what's up, every other emu works fine.
What you will need to do is copy the xml code that is floating around in the thread and place it alongside the MAME .3dsx file. You must also rename this xml file after the .3dsx file. The xml file contains a list of programs that the emu will try to run in order to take advantage of extra memory that it cannot access on its own. Youtube and Smash are two examples of these programs the emu attempts to access.

Chux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grabbed the first instance of the xml in this thread, but it didn't work. I gotta find out what title links to what particular ap. I'm on the right path though.

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I CAN DIE HAPPY!!!!!!!

SPLATTERHOUSE ON MY 3DS!!!!!!

I used MAME 2000 for perfect Sound...

To get it working download the

"splatter.zip" and "splatterj.zip"

And open the "splatterj.zip" and put the contents that's in that zip file into "splatter.zip"

Attachments

• IMG_20151105_162612.jpg
    IMG_20151105_162612.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited by NuikopeaDemon,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@Chux This post (linked in the topic post) should have the most complete XML file so far; with thanks to aliaspider, the XML now has title comments so users can tell in what order titles are attempted

When launching a homebrew with the above linked XML, your Homebrew Launcher will attempt to launch under them in priority order from top to bottom. So if you have YouTube, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Smash Bros., it will use YouTube. If you only have Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Smash Bros., it will use MH4U. If you only have Smash Bros., it will use that.

If you have absolutely none of the titles from the XML, the Homebrew Launcher will ask you to choose one manually, so you can try something else and hope launching under that works. If that's necessary, I would recommend trying Monster Hunter 3 (don't own it personally to test). The vast majority of titles besides those mentioned above won't be able to run the largest cores, though; those titles were chosen for a reason.

Important notes:
  • Only the latest YouTube is useful as a target for running under, as its .text size dramatically increased vs. earlier releases. Older versions won't give you the headroom you need for large emulators like MAME to run. If your YouTube is old, you will either need to update it to make this work (using eShop spoofing if necessary), or remove YouTube from your XML file so that a title lower in the list will be targeted instead.
  • There may be issues running homebrew under Monster Hunter 4 or Smash Bros. on the original 3DS. I can't test this myself as I never owned one, but I've seen a number of reports of homebrew not working on original 3DS when launched under mixed-mode (original+New 3DS) titles like those two. This is why YouTube is first on the list, because I'm pretty certain it should work on all devices, whereas Monster Hunter and Smash Bros. may or may not.

Last edited by Vague Rant, , Reason: rm fake-commented list in favor of aliaspider's properly commented version.
Reactions: Azel

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chux This post (linked in the topic post) should have the most complete XML file so far.

N.B.: Do not try to copy the below and use it as your XML; I'm writing all over it. I'm just specifying each title since you were asking.
Code:
<targets selectable="true">
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B0F00</title> // YouTube (USA)
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000CCD00</title> // YouTube (Europe)
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000D3000</title> // YouTube (Japan)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FA00</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (USA)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FB00</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (Europe)
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126300</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA eShop)
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126100</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe eShop)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000011D700</title> // Monster Hunter 4G (Japan eShop)
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126300</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA cartridge)
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126100</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe cartridge)
    <title mediatype="2">000400000011D700</title> // Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Japan cartridge)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E500</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (USA)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E600</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (Europe)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C200</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (USA)
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C300</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (Europe)
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EDF00</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA eShop)
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EE000</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe eShop)
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B8B00</title> // Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan eShop)
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EDF00</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA cartridge)
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EE000</title> // Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe cartridge)
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000B8B00</title> // Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan cartridge)
</targets>
When launching a homebrew with the above linked XML (again, not the one from the spoiler), your Homebrew Launcher will attempt to launch under them in priority order from top to bottom. So if you have YouTube, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Smash Bros., it will use YouTube. If you only have Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Smash Bros., it will use MH4U. If you only have Smash Bros., it will use that.

If you have absolutely none of the titles from the XML, the Homebrew Launcher will ask you to choose one manually, so you can try something else and hope launching under that works. If that's necessary, I would recommend trying Monster Hunter 3 (don't own it personally to test). The vast majority of titles besides those mentioned above won't be able to run the largest cores, though; those titles were chosen for a reason.

Important notes:
  • Only the latest YouTube is useful as a target for running under, as its .text size dramatically increased vs. earlier releases. Older versions won't give you the headroom you need for large emulators like MAME to run. If your YouTube is old, you will either need to update it to make this work (using eShop spoofing if necessary), or remove YouTube from your XML file so that a title lower in the list will be targeted instead.
  • There may be issues running homebrew under Monster Hunter 4 or Smash Bros. on the original 3DS. I can't test this myself as I never owned one, but I've seen a number of reports of homebrew not working on original 3DS when launched under mixed-mode (original+New 3DS) titles like those two. This is why YouTube is first on the list, because I'm pretty certain it should work on all devices, whereas Monster Hunter and Smash Bros. may or may not.
How would launching it under something such as Xenoblade turn out?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So Emulators running on 9.2+ emunand won't work as well as 9.0?
To be clear, if the emulator in question doesn't use dynarec, then there should be no speed difference. Off the top of my head, emulators that use dynarec include:

-PCSX
-gpSP
-Picodrive (SVP and 32X emulation only.

Dynarec works up to and including SysNAND 9.2. It will work on all versions of EmuNAND if you have 9.2 or below SysNAND and are using .cia files because these have kernel access.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: cvskid

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you're telling me is that I need to downgrade my emunand to 9.0 in order to get the full performance of those emulators. Any drawbacks to doing so on the CFW and online gaming side of things?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So what you're telling me is that I need to downgrade my emunand to 9.0 in order to get the full performance of those emulators. Any drawbacks to doing so on the CFW and online gaming side of things?
Sorry, I edited my post. There is no functional difference between 9.2, 9.0 or lower. As long as you have kernel access (which you do) that's enough.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Your emunand can be on any firmware and still get kernel benefits. He's saying your sysNAND needs to be on 9.2 or lower, nothing to do with emunand.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well if I can get to my emunand, then I think I have a sysnand lower than 9.2 :P

Then you're good to go. Just use CIA builds (however, Aliaspider is coming up with a fix to enable dynarec for the 3dsx builds for 9.2 and below, if for some reason you prefer those).

Olivil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried Mortal Kombat II under MAME 0.78 3dsx on my N3DS and I'm getting about 40 fps in fights. Pretty good!

Would it benefit from kernel access in a cia build?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1