Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not that i know of sorry

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Go here maybe

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroar...y-builds-included.400913/page-25#post-5777547
Yes, I was just looking at that. Basically I don't understand how it works/how to utilize it. So after you put xml in your folder with the 3dsx build of the emulator (I see there are three different folders there. For three different rom sets? All using the same build of the same emulator?) Then you launch the emulator from HBL and it uses the memory from the target app? Or you launch the targeted app and it launches the emulator? Any way this could work for the cia build? Sorry if I seem stupid, I'm just now figuring this stuff out.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
for anyone interested heres all the cps1 cps2 and neo geo roms I have tested on a n3ds 9.0 all are working full speed. I used cia to test but 3dsx shouldn't be any different. apart from 1 rom hsf2 on cp2s black screens on the build I use for 3dsx but works fine with cia.

Attachments

• cps1.png
    cps1.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 252
  • cps2.png
    cps2.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 239
  • neo geo.png
    neo geo.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 216
  • neo geo2.png
    neo geo2.png
    30 KB · Views: 228

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been seeing this floating around for a while now. How difficult is it to set this up? Do all I need to do is download a specified xml file on my sd card, and when I launch the game, it'll launch the emulator instead, or is there more to it?

So Emulators running on 9.2+ emunand won't work as well as 9.0?

Yeah, I think so.

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yes, I was just looking at that. Basically I don't understand how it works/how to utilize it. So after you put xml in your folder with the 3dsx build of the emulator (I see there are three different folders there. For three different rom sets? All using the same build of the same emulator?) Then you launch the emulator from HBL and it uses the memory from the target app? Or you launch the targeted app and it launches the emulator? Any way this could work for the cia build? Sorry if I seem stupid, I'm just now figuring this stuff out.

just launch emulator from HBL it will just code in the xml to that exact game for RAM usage if u have that game in your ds
like i said i use Special Demo MH4 but you can install youtube and load up the emulator in HBL and it will work just work sure u have the XML files because there is 3 different builds of MAME

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just launch emulator from HBL it will just code in the xml to that exact game for RAM usage if u have that game in your ds
like i said i use Special Demo MH4 but you can install youtube and load up the emulator in HBL and it will work just work sure u have the XML files because there is 3 different builds of MAME
Is it possible to have a CIA that launches a specific 3DSX file? I know it's a minor thing, but I just prefer to have all my emulators in one place.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As stated in my signature in bold, CIA.
I don't think you can see those on mobile, pain in the ass, I know, but your going to have to say it everytime I'm afraid.

for anyone interested heres all the cps1 cps2 and neo geo roms I have tested on a n3ds 9.0 all are working full speed. I used cia to test but 3dsx shouldn't be any different. apart from 1 rom hsf2 on cp2s black screens on the build I use for 3dsx but works fine with cia.
List of fba compatible games are in the 1st post, and every cps1/cps2/neo geo game is full speed with cia on n3ds.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3dsx builds of FBA full and Mame require the xml to load - because of their size they won't boot without it. How the xml works is it hijacks the target app at boot, making the target apps memory resources available to the homebrew you're launching. The CIA's don't need it; they should boot fine.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3dsx builds of FBA full and Mame require the xml to load - because of their size they won't boot without it. How the xml works is it hijacks the target app at boot, making the target apps memory resources available to the homebrew you're launching. The CIA's don't need it; they should boot fine.
So are you saying that the 3DSX with the meta won't work any better than the cia I have installed now? If so then I'm back to not knowing what to do about it saying it doesn't have enough frames

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So are you saying that the 3DSX with the meta won't work any better than the cia I have installed now? If so then I'm back to not knowing what to do about it saying it doesn't have enough frames

On CFW, 3dsx files are no better than CIAs. The message about "not enough frames" is a generic error that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to games not booting. Keep in mind that RetroArch on the 3ds is still pretty experimental, so that's why these crashes, hangs, games not saving, etc., are to be expected. Nightly builds aren't considered stable for a reason. :P

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On CFW, 3dsx files are no better than CIAs. The message about "not enough frames" is a generic error that doesn't really mean anything when it comes to games not booting. Keep in mind that RetroArch on the 3ds is still pretty experimental, so that's why these crashes, hangs, games not saving, etc., are to be expected. Nightly builds aren't considered stable for a reason. :P
I understand that, I just thought maybe someone knew a solution that I didn't. If I could find documentation on the errors and what they mean, and how to fix them, that would be great. So what are the most stable builds so far?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that, I just thought maybe someone knew a solution that I didn't. If I could find documentation on the errors and what they mean, and how to fix them, that would be great. So what are the most stable builds so far?
There's really no such thing as "most stable builds so far" for Retroarch... because they're nightlies, the newer ones should always be better - although, they can also break stuff that was previously working (like PCE_fast, which afaik is still broken in the current builds, if so you'll require a build from about a month ago for working pc engine/tg16).

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Has someone noticed that the FBA full core is 4~5FPS slower than the test release on CPS3 GAMES?
JoJo used to perform 56 fps at high, but it's only 52FPS now.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really no such thing as "most stable builds so far" for Retroarch... because they're nightlies, the newer ones should always be better - although, they can also break stuff that was previously working (like PCE_fast, which afaik is still broken in the current builds, if so you'll require a build from about a month ago for working pc engine/tg16).
PCE Fast is working fine for me. Playing bonk 3 right now. Downloaded latest nightly a few days ago.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has someone noticed that the FBA full core is 4~5FPS slower than the test release on CPS3 GAMES?
JoJo used to perform 56 fps at high, but it's only 52FPS now.
Yeah. I had some issues with the nightly build, so I rolled back to Daxtsu's test build - found it was, on average, about 5-10fps faster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: