Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Edited the OP with that info, thanks for contributing guys, I appreciate it ! (will credit too)

- added a "Tips" (should it be name "Hints" or something else ?) section with above feature and how to bind RetroArch functions to buttons (read Save/load savestate/fast forward toggle/fast forward hold/frame advance/pause etc)

- reformatted OP font color, hopefully ppl with black theme can now read stuff ;)

- added some stuff/comments here and there for clarity. (hopefully)

NEO GEO RELATED STUFF :
wanted to give a HUGE thanks to @wangtang32000 (PowerStone fan ? :D) for telling me svcsplus was woring for him !!
So I did some testing on new3DS with FBA Neo as cia, and turns out you can't run svc.zip, but you can run svcsplus.zip (if you have svc.zip next to it)
(SNK vs Capcom Chaos (super plus))

I'm not very knowledgeable about bootlegs, but seems like some bootlegs work well where their original/parent counterpart fails.
not 100% sure why, but bootleg might already decrypted and are stripped down version of the original ?
There's some things still in the OP that're unreadable.

Specifically the Emulator names for the Builds at the very top (NESTopia and PCSX), and all of:

"To access the in-game menu, touch the lower part of the lower touch screen.

To turn off the lower screen, touch the upper part of the lower screen. (don't forget to turn it back on before hitting Home IF YOU'RE USING CIAs)
(you can also turn off verbosity, with is on by default with nightly builds)"

Last edited by NightsOwl,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To turn off the lower screen, touch the upper part of the lower screen. (don't forget to turn it back on before hitting Home IF YOU'RE USING CIAs)
(you can also turn off verbosity, with is on by default with nightly builds)"

..? In the latest CIAs, hitting home turns the light back on for me just fine.

Reactions: RegularMoron

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
- Edited the OP with that info, thanks for contributing guys, I appreciate it ! (will credit too)

- added a "Tips" (should it be name "Hints" or something else ?) section with above feature and how to bind RetroArch functions to buttons (read Save/load savestate/fast forward toggle/fast forward hold/frame advance/pause etc)

- reformatted OP font color, hopefully ppl with black theme can now read stuff ;)

- added some stuff/comments here and there for clarity. (hopefully)

NEO GEO RELATED STUFF :
wanted to give a HUGE thanks to @wangtang32000 (PowerStone fan ? :D) for telling me svcsplus was woring for him !!
So I did some testing on new3DS with FBA Neo as cia, and turns out you can't run svc.zip, but you can run svcsplus.zip (if you have svc.zip next to it)

I'm not very knowledgeable about bootlegs, but seems like some bootlegs work well where their original/parent counterpart fails.
not 100% sure why, but bootleg might already decrypted and are stripped down version of the original ?
Awesome work!

Reactions: Azel

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
... What? I was saying that lot of text was still unreadable in the Dark Theme, buddy. <3

I understand that, but there's no need to manually turn the touchscreen back on yourself when hitting home on the CIA builds. RetroArch automatically turns it back on. If that's not what you're talking about, then why do you mention turning it back on before hitting home? :P

Reactions: RegularMoron

NightsOwl

Pays For Avatar Art (For some reason)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that, but there's no need to manually turn the touchscreen back on yourself when hitting home on the CIA builds. RetroArch automatically turns it back on. If that's not what you're talking about, then why do you mention turning it back on before hitting home? :P
.... I honestly don't get what you're saying. I was saying that for the Dark Theme of GBATemp, two emulators names and that whole quoted blurb were in a font color that blends into the background.

I'm not talking about anything to do with a 3DS or Retroarch. No touchscreens or anything like that. Just the first post in the whole thread having those text blurbs as invisible text in the dark theme for GBATemp. @_@'

Reactions: daxtsu

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NEO GEO RELATED STUFF :

Thanks for this info on clones/bootlegs - I'll be trying svcplus very soon, as well as maybe some of the KoF2002/03 clones.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Okay so I went back and fixed the areas that were missed by accident, the font is default colors now since @Azel changed it, the only areas that are not are the highlighted ones and I tested with dark theme it looks fine.

Reactions: NightsOwl

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
.... I honestly don't get what you're saying. I was saying that for the Dark Theme of GBATemp, two emulators names and that whole quoted blurb were in a font color that blends into the background.

I'm not talking about anything to do with a 3DS or Retroarch. No touchscreens or anything like that. Just the first post in the whole thread having those text blurbs as invisible text in the dark theme for GBATemp. @_@'

I'm sorry, I get it now. It's an error in the first post that should be corrected. There's no reason to have to turn the bottom screen on manually when hitting home, @Slasher115. RetroArch turns it on automatically.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for this info on clones/bootlegs - I'll be trying svcplus very soon, as well as maybe some of the KoF2002/03 clones.

You really thought I wasn't already trying this ? ;)

tried 8 bootlegs of 2002, got kf2k4pls and kof2k4se to run (none of the rest worked) (cia n3ds) (parent set needed)

tried 4 bootlegs of 2003, none of them worked.

but man, those are some ugly *ss bootlegs :x

EDIT : thanks for the info !! :o (will edit 1st post)

Last edited by Azel,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You really thought I wasn't already trying this ? ;)

tried 8 bootlegs of 2002, got kf2k4pls and kof2k4se to run (none of the rest worked) (cia n3ds) (parent set needed)

tried 4 bootlegs of 2003, none of them worked.

but man, those are some ugly *ss bootlegs :x
Yeah, I've had no luck with any of the KoF2002/03 clones - just pleased that all the svc clones I've tried so far are working.
The main reason I mentioned svcboot is because it's pretty much indistinguishable from the original parent, unlike the others that change various elements.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, I've had no luck with any of the KoF2002/03 clones - just pleased that all the svc clones I've tried so far are working.
The main reason I mentioned svcboot is because it's pretty much indistinguishable from the original parent, unlike the others that change various elements.
ha, good call indeed :) (Like I said I know nothing about bootlegs sadly :\)
the two "2004" kof2002 run fine for me in 3dsx though ;) (kf2k4pls and kof2k4se)

@NeohopeSTF > oh ok :) (I think you have to activate unibios in the core options too)

Last edited by Azel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...