Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hey i have a question i'm trying to run pcsx on my old 3ds and it just get crashed all the time that i try to run it, but with others emulators run fine.
PD: i'm using the the last nightly .cia
PCSX will run terribly on your O3DS, it's an emulator much more suited to the N3DS

Reactions: SLiV3R and tivu100

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try the MGBA player instead of the Gpsp. The MGBA has a setting just for Boktai that allows you to set the sun sensor to whatever you want. But be ready for the game to run at about 30-40 frames

No need for that. There are cracked ROMs. The way I understand it, No-Intro used to have a database of ROMs that were cracked due to extra hardware requirements. I have the files from said set. However, I wouldn't even know where to tell you to look now. I think I got mine from UG (which of course, has been dead for nearly 3 years now, still depresses me that it's gone actually). Anyway, keep looking. It does exist. I have it. Obviously though, I can't upload it here.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need for that. There are cracked ROMs. The way I understand it, No-Intro used to have a database of ROMs that were cracked due to extra hardware requirements. I have the files from said set. However, I wouldn't even know where to tell you to look now. I think I got mine from UG (which of course, has been dead for nearly 3 years now, still depresses me that it's gone actually). Anyway, keep looking. It does exist. I have it. Obviously though, I can't upload it here.
It's not a cracked rom. It's a full legit rom.

And I was being serious when I said it's a setting that is actually part of MGBA Retroarch.
image.jpg

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
thing about these emulators they need to make theme look more better i don't like all that text on the bottom screen and they share same gui it would better if each had there own

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thing about these emulators they need to make theme look more better i don't like all that text on the bottom screen and they share same gui it would better if each had there own
Gently tap the upper of the bottom screen to turn off the text?

Edit: Ninja'ed:ninja:

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a cracked rom. It's a full legit rom.

And I was being serious when I said it's a setting that is actually part of MGBA Retroarch.
View attachment 35583

Your point? I could attach a screenshot of my Total Commander showing that "Boktai - The Sun Is in Your Hand (USA) (Cracked).gba" actually does exist on my HDD. There's nothing un-full about it either. It's a full dump. It just has a patch applied, so you don't need to run a slower emulator. And if you're that much of a purist, you should be playing on a real GBA SP using an old slot 1 device or an EZFlash. It's the same argument against GDI -- you want a more authentic experience, so you're playing a perfect copy that only runs on an emulator (and indeed, what's hilarious is that most of the self-booting mill CDs have absolutely nothing removed, only about 5% of them had to have something ripped). Of course, that argument is dead now. StoneAgeGamer sells the ODDE, so, I'll be getting it, and supporting GDI images fully now.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your point? I could attach a screenshot of my Total Commander showing that "Boktai - The Sun Is in Your Hand (USA) (Cracked).gba" actually does exist on my HDD. There's nothing un-full about it either. It's a full dump. It just has a patch applied, so you don't need to run a slower emulator. And if you're that much of a purist, you should be playing on a real GBA SP using an old slot 1 device or an EZFlash. It's the same argument against GDI -- you want a more authentic experience, so you're playing a perfect copy that only runs on an emulator? Of course, that argument is dead now. StoneAgeGamer sells the ODDE, so, I'll be getting it, and supporting GDI images fully now.
Hostile much? You drug me into this so don't get pissy just cause I was having a fun "blast from the past" moment with someone cause they loved Boktai as well.
:teach:

Tapping the upper part of the bottom screen turns that off. If that helps.
I'm aware. It just feels weird having a blank bottom screen. And I typically like the debug text. The FPS mainly anyways.
:yay3ds:

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hostile much? You drug me into this so don't get pissy just cause I was having a fun "blast from the past" moment with someone cause they loved Boktai as well.
:teach:

I'm aware. It just feels weird having a blank bottom screen. And I typically like the debug text. The FPS mainly anyways.
:yay3ds:

Ha, I'm not mad, I just though the screenshot was a bit overkill. I believed you when you said the emulator has the feature. I just can't see a reason to drag the framerate down given there's an alternative. Then again, it might not for me, since I'm using an N3DS. I'll have to check it out. You did kind-of seem like you were suggesting taking a 20 FPS hit for the sake of authenticity though (we get enough of that crap from MAME dev already, which is ironic since they're coding an emulator, not an FPGA reconstruction).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha, I'm not mad, I just though the screenshot was a bit overkill. I believed you when you said the emulator has the feature. I just can't see a reason to drag the framerate down given there's an alternative.
Honest reason? I was using the regular Mgba before I used any of the Retroarch. And that was before I could use CIA.

So basically it's because I don't want to have to start over and so far nobody has been able to tell me how to load my game save on a different emulator. If you know how then I'd be perfectly happy being able to play the game full speed instead of only 45-50 frames.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i keep on asking this but nobody seems to know the answer , can anyone tell me how to get mednafen PCE fast to load supsegrafx roms?
there is no information about this, i got pce and tg-16 roms working and i got CD games working but i can't get sgx roms to load all i get is a black screen
and i get this error msg "
can not push null or empty core info into the playlist"

it says right at the top of the bottom screen "turbografx 16 (CD)/supergrafx)"

so does this do sgx or not? or if there some trick you have to do
i tried to research this but all i can find is info about the wii version, and it says if you get a black screen try using a rom with a .sgx extension or renaming it with .sgx, i can not find any roms with .sgx extension for some reason they all have a .pce extension , and when i try to rename the file and put a .sgx extension then the emulator will not even detect it at all ,it does not even show in the directory list
i tried different rom from different sources always the same results
is there a setting that will make it see the file after it is renamed?
or is there another way to make this work?or does this just not have the support yet?
nitrografx for DS did not support these roms either
any ideas ?

Last edited by weatMod,
Reactions: SLiV3R

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honest reason? I was using the regular Mgba before I used any of the Retroarch. And that was before I could use CIA.

So basically it's because I don't want to have to start over and so far nobody has been able to tell me how to load my game save on a different emulator. If you know how then I'd be perfectly happy being able to play the game full speed instead of only 45-50 frames.

Hmm, that's odd, I'd think you could just copy the .sav file like you can with any other emulator. As long as it has the same name it should work. Unless the crack somehow makes it incompatible. I'd have to examine the saves in a hex editor in that case.

i keep on asking this but nobody seems to know the answer , can anyone tell me how to get mednafen PCE fast to load supsegrafx roms?
there is no information about this, i got pce and tg-16 roms working and i got CD games working but i can't get sgx roms to load all i get is a black screen
and i get this error msg "
can not push null or empty core info into the playlist"

it says right at the top of the bottom screen "turbografx 16 (CD)/supergrafx)"

so does this do sgx or not? or if there some trick you have to do
i tried to research this but all i can find is info about the wii version, and it says if you get a black screen try using a rom with a .sgx extension or renaming it with .sgx, i can not find any roms with .sgx extension for some reason they all have a .pce extension , and when i try to rename the file and put a .sgx extension then the emulator will not even detect it at all ,it does not even show in the directory list
i tried different rom from different sources always the same results
is there a setting that will make it see the file after it is renamed?
or is there another way to make this work?or does this just not have the support yet?
nitrografx for DS did not support these roms either
any ideas ?

I can tell you that Mednafen definitely does support the Supergrafx. Whether or not Retroarch left that code intact, or that support was left in the 3DS compile, is another matter. I'll have to drag out my HP Touchpad and see if Dai Makaimura (Ghouls & Ghosts) plays, but I think it did. I'm pretty sure it's in the core. Probably just a problem with the port. Nice to know the CDs work well though. I'll have to clear some space on my SD for Dracula X, Lords Of Thunder, Gate Of Thunder and the Ys series.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, that's odd, I'd think you could just copy the .sav file like you can with any other emulator. As long as it has the same name it should work.

I can tell you that Mednafen definitely does support the Supergrafx. Whether or not Retroarch left that code intact, or that support was left in the 3DS compile, is another matter. I'll have to drag out my HP Touchpad and see if Dai Makaimura (Ghouls & Ghosts) plays, but I think it did. I'm pretty sure it's in the core. Probably just a problem with the port. Nice to know the CDs work well though. I'll have to clear some space on my SD for Dracula X, Lords Of Thunder, Gate Of Thunder and the Ys series.
yes dai makaimura is what i was trying to run also
and yes i got chi norondo to work, it runs great and sounds great too, i had it running on nitrografx on my DS lite but with no CD audio
and also i tried it on my old 3ds xl and the sound works but the frame rate is bad it's playable but in slo mo
on my N3ds xl it works great

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes dai makaimura is what i was trying to run also
and yes i got chi norondo to work, it runs great and sounds great too, i had it running on nitrografx on my DS lite but with no CD audio
and also i tried it on my old 3ds xl and the sound works but the frame rate is bad it's playable but in slo mo
on my N3ds xl it works great

Understandable. Dai's still one of my favorites to load up and play on my Turbo Everdrive (guess that tells you what mine's sitting in, and with a Ten No Koe bank attached too ;) ).

EDIT1: And yes, just loaded Dai Makaimura from the No-Intro set on HP Touchpad using Mednafen PCE Fast core. It's running an older version of Retroarch, but I doubt they'd have removed the code from the core. Looks like it's a bug in the 3DS port. I'll try the 3DS version just to see now.

EDIT2: I had no luck with the 3DS version either. Aldynes did give me some sound initially before crashing though. Some of the games seem to display a line at the bottom of the screen as well. None of them work though. But the fact Aldynes did play audio says it should be working. Bug in the port I guess. I'll try an older version.

I did notice that the VB core also gives that error about pushing a null driver or core (and it does run games, unfortunately very choppy, but it has r3ddragon beat atm, be nice if something actually displayed the games in 3D). So I think that error is because some of the drivers are set to null (disabled) by default, probably because the emulator in question doesn't use (nor need) a driver for that (i.e. the PC Engine never used a camera). So, it's more like the ROMs are being run, we're just not getting proper output for some reason.

EDIT3: Looks like it's just not going to work.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: weatMod

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Might be an issue with the file extension. If I remember correctly, non-Retroarch mGBA expects a .sav file extension, but Retroarch mGBA expects the extension to be .srm. The gpSP core uses the .sav extension, so I'm guessing that mGBA core uses the .srm extension as to not conflict with gpSP core saves.

Basically, you should be able to rename the extension, put it in the Retroarch savefiles folder, and continue your game from within Retroarch mGBA.

Last edited by kenseiden,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be an issue with the file extension. If I remember correctly, non-Retroarch mGBA expects a .sav file extension, but Retroarch mGBA expects the extension to be .srm. The gpSP core uses the .sav extension, so I'm guessing that mGBA core uses the .srm extension as to not conflict with gpSP core saves.

Basically, you should be able to rename the extension, put it in the Retroarch savefiles folder, and continue your game from within Retroarch mGBA.
I am using Retroarch Mgba. Was thinking of switching to Gpsp. At least I have something to look into now. Save extension was a thought but now I'm actually gonna take a look.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps