Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would love to have the PREVIOUS Full FBA core build for the latest version of RetroarchWii.
Compatibilty is much higher but it missing the new functions ( resolution ) from the latest build.

All my konami and toaplan games work again with the older core.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of all I'd like to express my deepest thanks to the RetroArch team for all the the hard work you've done for this wonderful emulator. However I have a slight issue with try to play Sega CD games on my Toshiba Thrive tablet. I'm supposed to put the bios in RetroArch's 'system' directory like the readme says, but I can't seem to find RetroArch's main directory anywhere. Can someone give me a clue as to how to find it?

Yes, I've seen other people getting confused by how it is worded in the Cores manual - the main difference here is that on RetroArch Android, there is NO system directory - instead, you just drop the BIOS files into the same directory as the ROM/ISO/whatever that you're trying to load. We can't really find a good 'default system dir'location on Android - something that is easily accessible for the user - so this seemed like the best way to do it.

Reactions: Floating Seal

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would love to have the PREVIOUS Full FBA core build for the latest version of RetroarchWii.
Compatibilty is much higher but it missing the new functions ( resolution ) from the latest build.

All my konami and toaplan games work again with the older core.

Yeah, we probably shouldn't have even released the new FBA core for big-endian - simply too much games got broken overnight due to the stupid 'service mode' thingie. I kept stressing how big of an issue this was and that we should fix this, but in the end we decided to just push it like this knowing full well this would leave a lot of people unhappy.

Better solution I think is if me and ToadKing put some special effort in to try and get to the bottom of this.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds great.

One more things I've been wondering about. Don't those shaders in the PS3 version introduce "Input Lag"? I'm very sensitive to lag, especially on old-school games like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. In fact, I'd say that Retroarch SNES9x has less lag (if any at all) than SNES9x GX.

Most of the lag will be on your television side and definitely not GPU-bound. That's why picking the right HDTV is so important in the large scheme of things. Anything else to 'reduce lag' is just pissing in the wind.

nintygaming

No Longer An Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the lag will be on your television side and definitely not GPU-bound. That's why picking the right HDTV is so important in the large scheme of things. Anything else to 'reduce lag' is just pissing in the wind.

Yep, and trust me when I say this....finding a HDTV with less than 1 frame of lag is nearly impossible, even when it comes to bare-bones Plasma TV's. But you probably already knew that. And of course a fixed panel display will never show 240p probably. Solution? CRT all the way!

And before someone confuses pixel response with input lag, remember, RESPONSE TIMES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INPUT LAG. They are both separate, completely different things.

Ahem, back on topic. Look what I found - https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...hZZkFhVlE&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

I doubt the lag of an actual SNES console on a CRT. Something doesn't seem right with that link. What are your thoughts?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Psikyo core? Sweet!! I dont have Internet right now, but can anyone tell me if Gunbird 2 and Space Bomber work correctly now?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Did some testing on my CRT setup, I must say great work.
Games look awesome, if you set the core to the resolution the emulated systems originally have.
Though, I am missing just a few resoltions, Gameboy and gamegear resolution 160 x 144.
Would be great if you guys could add them in as thios canmmake a huge difference on crt setups.
Without the native rersolutions these cores produce unwanted artifacting.

60fps really makes a difference compared to other emulators, especially on crt monitors.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone gotten any PGM games to work? I just get a code dump on Knights of Valour etc. I am confused as to why the PGM core was included in the release if the games don't work and the CPS1 core was omitted.

Hope someone has gotten these IGS games to work, they are awesome. Really enjoying the emulator and have been playing all weekend :)

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got this working (not really sure why it didn't... just would fade to black screen and then nothing. Not sure what fixed it but I think it was reformatting my sd card, which was already formated via panasonic formatter) and just wanted to say great job! A few things I noticed:

-My classic controller Pro seems to work fine except for left joystick emulation. All the directions are messed up. If you'd like, I can tell you what direction moves what.

-Love the speed boost over snes9x gx. Any possibility of getting an official forwarder made for the menu to make the jump from system menu to emulator even faster?

-Really appreciate the overscan setting. My HDTV is older and weird and never displays the Wii's picture correctly (ie, black borders all around). Really frustrating.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
There's already a few forwarders for RA, one from Mastershoes was posted a while back. You can do a search for it in this thread and it should pop right up. Libretroarch I also noticed that setting up the directions during controller config is also messed up for example. Seiken Densetsu 3 classic controller, controller config 1, classic controller left stick dpad up down, left right and using the left stick the controls are all inverted. Up is left, down is right, that kind of thing. Don't know why though? Using the d-pad it would work fine.

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know why but it seems I can't load two neogeo games straight, the second blocks and shows a black screen, although retroarch keeps working and I can use the menus. Am I the only one or it happens to someone else?

gameBro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
could someone reup the RA forwarder somewhere else? My ISP is blocking this link for some reason.

thanks
Hey hey,

If anyone's interested, I re-skinned Close2Insanity's MAME forwarder (I f'ing love that forwarder!), and put together a RetroArch-Wii forwarder, i think it turned out fairly well. I included both of these wads in the download.

RetroArch-MameIcons.png

RetroArch-Wii.png

SDLMame-Wii.png

Grab 'em here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pqwb7gt8b0xvqeq

...and also, thanks much to the devs, you guys have done a great job!

Edit: Updated Link (v14 source - Thanks Fix!)

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Loving the native resolutions, everything which has one looks great, with a couple of handhelds and Neo Geo being the only exceptions, as noted previously. The only issue I've had thus far is Snow Bros., which runs with the wrong palette and just looks like a horrible acid trip. I reported it in IRC in the previous build, it remains unchanged since then. The game is fine on RetroArch Android (tested on Nexus 7 and Galaxy S) and PC FBA, so it must be something on the Wii side.

H0zwdFE.png
v5pnMhz.png

If anyone else is dying for some Snow Bros., the sequel runs fine, as do similar games Nightmare in the Dark, Zupapa and Bang 2 Busters (all Neo Geo).

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
only a handful of PGM roms work here (I had to extract the pgm.zip content in rom folder too)
Can this be due to the fact that the game require 2 or 3 zip files instead of just one? or is it still wip.
Also Psikyo games stop at a check screen.

Looking forward for any news :)

ngelDiezFernndez

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
9esferas.es
XP
Country
Here are my test. All cores except Wonderswan (WSC), it wont work. I dont know if its a RetroArch problem, compilation problem or other, it gives some memory error (seen in the final part of this videos). Also the Gamecube controller acts weird on PRBoom and PC Engine Mednafen core. It works propertly in all other cores. Wiimote works ok in those.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here are my test. All cores except Wonderswan (WSC), it wont work. I dont know if its a RetroArch problem, compilation problem or other, it gives some memory error (seen in the final part of this videos). Also the Gamecube controller acts weird on PRBoom and PC Engine Mednafen core. It works propertly in all other cores. Wiimote works ok in those.

WonderSwan will be looked at. Once again, I'm very sorry for pushing it out in this state.

Next time we'll go over each and every core until it's guaranteed everything works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol