RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Toad King, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Right, I understand the complexities of output resolution vs. aspect ratio. I know old games were mostly designed for 4:3 or 3:4 for vertically oriented games and that using square pixels will push them way out of aspect in many cases. This isn't really what I'm trying to point out. Perhaps some images will help. This is what RetroArch looks like on my TVs:

4:3
    empty space --> [​IMG]

2. Toad King
    OP

Toad King GBAtemp Fan

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    In the emulator settings, you should be able to change the aspect ratio to a large collection of values, Auto (width : height), or a core-provided ratio (in CPS2 games, this is identical to width : height). There is no option to always stretch to fill the entire screen.

3. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    I know, and I've been using the aspect ratio settings, and I have literally zero interest in having RetroArch stretch everything to full screen. My issue is that RA literally cannot use 10% of my screen, regardless of what preset/custom AR I use. RetroArch is pillarboxed at all times, but behaves as if it isn't. Setting RA to 16:9 displays an 8:5 active area inside a 16:9 image, as in the image above. To get an "accurate", 4:3 picture, I have to set my TV to 16:9 and RetroArch to 3:2.

EDIT: Here's a photo.
    I have a 16:9 TV set, which is in 16:9 mode, the Wii is set to 16:9 and as you can see in the photo, so is RetroArch. In this scenario, the (16:9) picture on the (16:9) TV should fill the (16:9) display area. My point isn't that I actually want to play like this, it's that RA runs pillarboxed and all the aspect ratios are wrong for this reason.

EDIT2: Comparison shot.
    For comparison, here's Wii64 (kind of; it's Extrems's Not64) displaying in correct 16:9 with no pillarboxing. This is important because it means games can run in their correct aspect ratio and without any unnecessary stretching on the TV end simply by setting the TV itself to 4:3. In RetroArch, this would result in a squished image as in the simulated shot I posted earlier.

I don't mean to sound demanding or dicky in any other way; I love RetroArch, I just hope somebody understands what I'm getting at soon and can do a better job than I have at explaining the issue.

4. Toad King
    OP

Toad King GBAtemp Fan

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    Are you able to expand the image past those black bars if you try setting a custom viewport? If not, then it might be a bug in our VI code.

Also, make sure you set to screen resolution to 16:9 in the Wii System Menu as well, since that's what it uses to calculate the correct aspect ratio.

5. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yes, you are right.
    The output is squished.

Try setting your tv to 4:3 and the ratio in retroarch also.

6. Vague Rant

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Nope, anything that goes beyond the bars is simply not visible. I've tried pushing the image outside the bars by editing the viewport in the .cfg, adjusting the custom AR in-app, and even just pumping up the overscan.

I made sure to check with the Wii itself in both 16:9 and 4:3, they both show the same squishing.

7. corey89

corey89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2009
    United States
    I fixed the layout to look more in line with the other wiki entires, so it should be much easier to update and keep track of addition and changes on the entry now.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/RetroArch_Wii

8. yaketyJack

yaketyJack Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2011
    United States
    Thanks man! I did it last night past midnight, I am glad you made it look so clean now. Lets hope LibRetroArch likes it ;-)

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Whoever maintains the Wiibrew Wiki page might want to include the recently released bugfix Snes9x Next that fixes the FF6-specific glitches.

Should be on the previous page.

1 person likes this.
  10. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    Could there be some filter implemented to the FBA core? it's too hard for a newbie to realize which ROM for what plattform is — FBA Romset is pretty huge.

11. Gamecuber

Gamecuber Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2012
    Switzerland
    You can get gamelist.txt from FBANext for XBOX360. It lists romname and its hardware.
    It is more easy than coding a filter for RetroArch for now.
    here is a part of it.

12. TenkuuBuster

TenkuuBuster Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    You can always separate your files into folders, but I don't know of any automatic way to do that.

13. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    Thank you, i'll try it.

Clrmamepro make no difference between the CPS1 & CPS2, they both are "GENERIC", but using the list mentioned by Gamecuber it's not too hard to write a script.

14. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Welcome to the forums =)
    By the way your avatar seems too familiar to me, do you post on NeoGAF?

15. Disorarara

Disorarara GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2012
    This might be an oversight, but I noticed that when you use the gamecube pad to enter the menu, there's no actual way to leave the menu using the gamecube pad since the combination doesn't work there, the only way to leave the menu is to reset the game.

16. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    I've executed the script with the "FB Alpha 0.2.97.26" romset. It's folder "roms" contains 2958 files. Script parser brought me the report:
    Is that looks like true & other 2171 files are from different systems?

17. quepaso

quepaso GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2008
    United States
    The easiest way to sort the roms is to use the PC emu, then when loading the roms, it allows you to show the games by what board they work on, like CPS1/CPS2/Neogeo etc. I separated the games into folders myself that way and that made things a lot easier.

18. catuligbat

catuligbat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2010
    Colombia
    in place i dont know it
    Here post my FBA romset in folders for each system (i create this folders manually (pain in ass to make: aprox 3000 roms) using list in FBA emulator for win (in this emulator select each system with list zipnames for roms) but after make appears this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:yaywii: :yayps3: B-)

19. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    Russia
    218 vs 223
    283 vs 279
    275 vs 285

Seems pretty realistic, thank you. But doing this manually — you are crazy, man, this is too boring for me. )) Here is the 10 minutes hindu-like powershell code for three platforms but it's easy to add others:

Code:
    Clear-Host
    $games = Get-Content -Path c:\temp\fbanext\gamelist.txt
    $InFolder="D:\Downloads\FB Alpha 0.2.97.26\roms\"
    $OutFolder="c:\temp\fbanext\"
    $NeoGeo=0
    $CPS1=0
    $CPS2=0
    for ($i = 1; $i -lt $games.count; $i++) {
    if ($games[$i] -match "(^\|\s)(\w+)(\s{0,}\|\s)(.+)(CPS1)") {
    $CPS1++
    Copy-Item $($InFolder + $Matches[2]+ ".zip") $($OutFolder + 'CPS1\'+ $Matches[2]+ ".zip")
    }
    if ($games[$i] -match "(^\|\s)(\w+)(\s{0,}\|\s)(.+)(CPS2)") {
    $CPS2++
    Copy-Item $($InFolder + $Matches[2]+ ".zip") $($OutFolder + 'CPS2\'+ $Matches[2]+ ".zip")
    }
    if ($games[$i] -match "(^\|\s)(\w+)(\s{0,}\|\s)(.+)(Neo Geo MVS)") {
    $NeoGeo++
    Copy-Item $($InFolder + $Matches[2]+ ".zip") $($OutFolder + 'NeoGeo\'+ $Matches[2]+ ".zip")
    }
    }

Write-Host "Neo-Geo: " $NeoGeo
    Write-Host "CPS1: " $CPS1
    Write-Host "CPS2: " $CPS2
    Write-Host "Total Count: " $($CPS2+$CPS1+$NeoGeo)

1 person likes this.
  20. Jate

Jate Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hello

I have been trying the last version (Retroarch 0.9.7.2 por SNES9x-next) and i find some problems:

- when I change core and restart, the wii is blocked.

- the option "debug info" only run with the code snes9x-next? with other cores it does not appear

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.