Hacking Retro - to be or not to be

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
lol. i find it comical how people argue so much in the dstt section. i dont see the point of more people trying to fix it when one person is enough. retro does an amazing job in fixing the games but many people try to boycott fixes because they are so impatient with the releases. yes, retro uses ysmenu from yasu. but you got to remember yasu stopped doing his updates a long time ago. retro used ysmenu like 1 year after yasu stopped updating, which means that ysmenu was pretty much dead and he brought it back to life. if people want to retro stop udating. keep posting those copy paste fixes from other fixes. but i know by fact retro doesnt steal from other sites the fixes

keyb13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
iluvfupaburgers said:
lol. i find it comical how people argue so much in the dstt section. i dont see the point of more people trying to fix it when one person is enough. retro does an amazing job in fixing the games but many people try to boycott fixes because they are so impatient with the releases. yes, retro uses ysmenu from yasu. but you got to remember yasu stopped doing his updates a long time ago. retro used ysmenu like 1 year after yasu stopped updating, which means that ysmenu was pretty much dead and he brought it back to life. if people want to retro stop udating. keep posting those copy paste fixes from other fixes. but i know by fact retro doesnt steal from other sites the fixes
At last one bright mind.
rolleyes.gif

They are not just impatient, they are jelaous or spies from nintendo.
Retro you and your work are great.
Thank-you.

dbspanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xyrophile said:
Catboy: I'm not criticising retro's work; I'm criticizing his attacks on other users, and his possessiveness about the project. I'm not an acekard user, so I don't follow the AKAIO threads, but if I did, I'd probably criticize normmatt if things are as you say.

As for the DSTT dats, as best as I can tell, they're not entirely retro's work; I've never heard anyone say that all 5000+ entries going back to the very beginning in those sets are retro's work; are they not built on top of previous dat sets? If it's okay for retro to build on the work of others, surely it's fair for others to do the same. For that matter, did retro get yasu's permission to distribute YSMenu? (and TTMenu for that matter) I've heard yasu is very particular about that sort of thing, and I haven't been able to find how he got permission to distribute it. He sure doesn't credit yasu in his main credits on his thread, and let's face it, writing the loader is a much greater accomplishment than writing definition files for it. Talk about standing on the shoulders of giants! As for the developers of TTMenu... Hell, doesn't just testing that many definitions in the dats require "stealing" other peoples' work if you don't have a wealthy financier?

I'm sorry, but I just can't get too upset about it. If it was my work, I'd encourage people to build on it; open source is popular for a reason. The whole reason we have flashcarts is because people copied and built upon previous work. Nintendo sure doesn't want folks "messing with their files" but I don't hear you complaining about how disrespectful flashcard companies are. I could see the issue if people were taking his set, slapping a different label on it and calling it an original work, but sets that combine his fixes with other contributions seem perfectly reasonable to me. Hopefully anyone who does that gives him credit for his work, but when someone is writing definitions to allow commercial roms to be run against the developers' wishes, it seems ludicrous to me for them to complain about others using their work in a way they don't approve of.
Sometimes the best thing to do is keep your nose out of other peoples buisness as well. If you don't like retro telling others to go f^&k Themselves if he feels they deserve it, then go find these other people and give them your shoulder to cry on. I also have an Ak2i and belive that Normatt and the Smiths who work on Akaio for this card have earned the respect of the people who follow Akaio, and Retro deserves the same respect and patience. I have never seen so many post on the Akaio site of people bitching and complaing about everything. We all need to take a step back, be greatful for people like retro and normatt and be patient. If this can all happen then the updates will come and most of us will be happy.

xyrophile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dbspanks said:

His work deserves respect. His behavior deserves condemnation. I've got no issue with how he makes his dats or how he chooses to schedule his releases. I'm personally a bit doubtful about how technically skilled he actually is, as I haven't seen evidence that he's coding his cracks from scratch - from what I've seen his fixes generally come about after the chinese hackers release theirs, or scene groups release standalone patches My gut feeling is that he's simply adapting these for the DSTT loaders, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt, and I'm certainly not accusing him of technical malfeasance - even if he is simply adapting standalone patches for the DSTT loaders, it's still something that requires skill and knowledge and I'm certainly not saying I could do better. My issue is with the way he treats other users and demands total control over dat sets that are built on a foundation of the work of others that came before. Other people should be able to modify and update his work the way he's modified and updated the work of yasu, the DSTT team and dat coders who came before him without risking an angry confrontation from retro. As good as his dats are for the community, they don't justify treating others badly.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh enough already. Drop it. Really. This whole back and forth thing is going nowhere.
Everyone talks to people differently than others. If you have noticed, retro's behavior towards the supporters and towards those actually willing to learn are quite friendly. Those stealing his work, the work of others and calling him out, tend to get his bad side, rather than his friendly side.

That's the way of the world. Get over it.

If you don't like his post, REPORT IT. But I can assure you going back and forth like this is only going to attract more attention and more attention will attract drama. You're doing the very same thing you despise. Attacking. Let the mods handle it. If they see a problem with it, they'll do something about it.

As you stated yourself, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
rolleyes.gif

Take your own advice.

JustSomeone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
nice to help retro. this is going like pongs thread... people come here .. only to ask ask ask. fixes..
wtf.gif

lecture.gif
retro is a nice person . he has in his post lots of things to let everybody know what games are fixed.. he says to not report roms unless they arent new ones..

so i say im with retro to. if he stops or continue .. its up to him.

still im happy to see other hackers to be on dstt trying to fix some games but please be clean and dont steal anything .. ask first
yay.gif

another thing. i dont get why so many noobs or weak mind come here asking everything.. i hope i dont read some day: How do i turn on my ds??
p1ng.gif

and please close this thread if a mod comes here.. theres only need for 1 thread.. and thats retros.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.